This is my new Hybrid Lang that I just built

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Holy f-word! That thing is sweet! Love the burners on the front too!

How does the vertical smoker work? It looks like the smoke comes from the circle opening just above the bottom rack? How does that do with holding lower temp since it is right above the fire box? I was going to put one of those on mine but was concerned it would get too hot.

I would be afraid to pull up next to you at a contest!

Thanks
Honestly I was concerned too. I was going to use firebricks to line it if there were issues but the firebox is 36x36 and 30” tall and only using 2 sticks of wood every hour the temps stay consistent roughly at 250 on all shelves. Before we have our big event in May I am going to make a diffuser plate 20x20x1/4 to set over the opening 3 inch’s above the hole so the heat has to travel to the outside of the box area so the bottom shelf won’t have a hot spot. This is also how the Lang has their smokers designed with the warming box attachment.

C63AFDC6-E14B-4603-AC37-595B1B7EBDDE.jpeg
C5A04DDA-A2A1-4532-B02F-14A50A4E5E4B.jpeg
If you look at the marked locations I have 2 holes to control the heat in the vertical box both are 6” diameter, the bottom hole I will open and place the diffuser plate over it and the other is for exhaust draw into the vertical box. I also designed it so if I just wanted to use the vertical I can shut the main chamber off and I built a trap door to shut off the reverse flow from the main chamber. If you look at the top of the firebox on the side you will see a handle you can turn and the trap door is hinged to swing down and shut off the reverse flow to the main chamber.

1A305894-045A-4411-BD2D-BC5D5B232447.jpeg
163025EF-67FF-404E-A892-EE5541B8D6F3.jpeg
Just built that 24x24 diffuser plate and put it over that opening above the firebox and shut the trap door to the main cooker and grilling some chicken. Thought you all would enjoy the pics.

7CEC8974-8F30-4008-973E-9D50790D2041.jpeg
4AE868C1-BEB6-4114-B8A7-0E0A490ADFDD.jpeg
Hey guys haven’t posted anything in a while but wanted to share some pics of what’s being cooked tonight. 12 baby backs and 16 1/2 Chickens for work tomorrow. Hope you all enjoy pics. Will try to take photos of finished product if I don’t forget.

Wow, just wow !!!!.. That has to be the best looking home made smoker i've ever seen ... Awesome awesome job !!

That is one great looking smoker for sure, You did a super job

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky