New member. The smoker I bought is out of my league.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bworx

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 1, 2024
So-Cal
Hello all. I have been recently going through the site and doing research on smokers for a few months now. I'm busy on a regular grill but wanted to try a smoker. Well I'm new here and finally purchased my 1st smoker! My problem is it's waaaaay too big. I had no idea what I was getting into when I made the deal. Not sure about the rules here with pics but I have a stock photo of what it looks like. By the time I finished loading it I was beat and it was dark. Mine doesn't have a brand name that I can see but it looks like the stock photo I am posting. I will take pics tomorrow during the day and post those. Btw I honestly had no idea it was going to be as big as it was. It was hand built in Texas and the previous owner had it shipped to him. Anyway I appreciate any help along the way! It looks a lot like the pic here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240303_201513_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303_201513_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 207
Looks like a nice smoker. I think you will find it's not too big. As your first stick burner it may take a little time to get the hang of it. Ask plenty of questions here on starting and tending the fire. I'd recommend you do pork butt the first cook or two. It's the most forgiving as you learn to manage it

Horizon Smokers here in Oklahoma make a similar design. They make two versions, a 20" cook chamber and a 16" cook chamber. I see used 16" versions for sale here, every now and then. I've heard they have air flow problems and the 20" is preferred, but I don't know that for a fact.

Reactions: JLeonard and Bworx
Hello all. I have been recently going through the site and doing research on smokers for a few months now. I'm busy on a regular grill but wanted to try a smoker. Well I'm new here and finally purchased my 1st smoker! My problem is it's waaaaay too big. I had no idea what I was getting into when I made the deal. Not sure about the rules here with pics but I have a stock photo of what it looks like. By the time I finished loading it I was beat and it was dark. Mine doesn't have a brand name that I can see but it looks like the stock photo I am posting. I will take pics tomorrow during the day and post those. Btw I honestly had no idea it was going to be as big as it was. It was hand built in Texas and the previous owner had it shipped to him. Anyway I appreciate any help along the way! It looks a lot like the pic here.
Thanks for the welcomes! What I don't understand is why this smoker isn't on a trailer? It's insanely heavy. I can pick up the dummy end but moving it is another story. I had to use a come a long to get it on my trailer. And I used my low profile trailer. I tested the wheels. They were fine. It's just wild to think someone would want to move it around. Honestly I don't even want to think about taking it off of my trailer lol. I originally wanted a standard size regular offset smoker. Once I got into this deal the previous owners were very pleasant and made me great deal. They CLEARLY wanted it gone. When I got there and saw it in person I immediately understood why so many came to look at it but didn't purchase it. It was in a very tight spot in the back of their property. We had to go across wet grass with plywood. Down a hill with minimal room to squeeze through. I'm pretty fit at 6'2" and as my grandpa used to say "I was plum wore out" by the end. The owners told me when they received it they had to hire a moving company to get it in the back of their property. Yeah with that hill I don't blame them! Well as it set on my trailer in all of its glory I felt I was in way over my head. I'll mainly be cooking for the wife and I with 2 kiddos. Anyway I'll get some pics posted today. I wish I knew what company made it. Thanks again!

Thanks for the welcomes! What I don't understand is why this smoker isn't on a trailer? It's insanely heavy. I can pick up the dummy end but moving it is another story. I had to use a come a long to get it on my trailer. And I used my low profile trailer. I tested the wheels. They were fine. It's just wild to think someone would want to move it around. Honestly I don't even want to think about taking it off of my trailer lol. I originally wanted a standard size regular offset smoker. Once I got into this deal the previous owners were very pleasant and made me great deal. They CLEARLY wanted it gone. When I got there and saw it in person I immediately understood why so many came to look at it but didn't purchase it. It was in a very tight spot in the back of their property. We had to go across wet grass with plywood. Down a hill with minimal room to squeeze through. I'm pretty fit at 6'2" and as my grandpa used to say "I was plum wore out" by the end. The owners told me when they received it they had to hire a moving company to get it in the back of their property. Yeah with that hill I don't blame them! Well as it set on my trailer in all of its glory I felt I was in way over my head. I'll mainly be cooking for the wife and I with 2 kiddos. Anyway I'll get some pics posted today. I wish I knew what company made it. Thanks again!
Newbie question. When having a large smoker like this one I have, will I use up more wood compared to a standard size smoker?

Reactions: JLeonard
Howdy and welcome to the forum from New Mexico.
You could probably have a plate made to block heat from going into the tall smoker,

Reactions: Bworx
Yep thats a beaut of a cooker. And it looks like it weighs a ton. Welcome from Mississippi! Look forward to your posts and pics.

Jim

Here goes.
Overall length is 6'11".
7'3" if you add the firebox handle.
Firebox is 20"x20".
Main chamber 20"x42.5".
Vertical stack 20"x52".
All 1/4" steel. No wonder it's as heavy as my employers bank account.

Reactions: JLeonard
Here goes.
Overall length is 6'11".
Firebox is 20"x20".
Main chamber 20"x42.5".
Vertical stack 20"x52".

BWX, Welcome and you have what looks to be an awesome smoker. Hopefully you have the space for it and once you learn the curves you'll fall in love with it. Smoking season is coming up for everyone so if you hate it you would have no trouble selling it IMHO.

Reactions: JLeonard and Bworx
Here goes.
Overall length is 6'11".
Firebox is 20"x20".
Main chamber 20"x42.5".
Vertical stack 20"x52".

Attachments

• 20240304_141412.jpg
    20240304_141412.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 167
  • 20240304_132206.jpg
    20240304_132206.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 20240304_130731.jpg
    20240304_130731.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 114
  • 20240304_131020.jpg
    20240304_131020.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 20240304_130926.jpg
    20240304_130926.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 20240304_131430.jpg
    20240304_131430.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20240304_131456.jpg
    20240304_131456.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 111
More pics

Attachments

• 20240304_131008.jpg
    20240304_131008.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 20240304_131557.jpg
    20240304_131557.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20240304_131746.jpg
    20240304_131746.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 20240304_130906.jpg
    20240304_130906.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 156
BWX, Welcome and you have what looks to be an awesome smoker. Hopefully you have the space for it and once you learn the curves you'll fall in love with it. Smoking season is coming up for everyone so if you hate it you would have no trouble selling it IMHO.
Thanks. I definitely have the room. I have a spot for it next to my bbq grill. My issue is moving it and the overkill on size. I don't think I would ever use the vertical portion. My buddy was saying to have a welder cut it off and add a stack in its place. I would hate to ruin a good smoker just for that though.

Newbie question. When having a large smoker like this one I have, will I use up more wood compared to a standard size smoker?
Answer: More than likely, yes, but if wood is a problem or expensive in your area you can supplement with charcoal. You would be amazed at how much delicious flavor can come from a fist sized chunk added to charcoal embers every 60-90 minutes. I have no idea what kind of trees are in your area, but if I had a stick burner that big and I didn't have wood readily available, I'd take a chainsaw on a road trip with my F150. Gotta be some trees and national forest within 200 miles...... providing CA will issue a permit to harvest downed trees out of a national forest.

Welcome. That is one hell of a smoker. Just use it and figure it out. Smoke a couple of chickens and a butt or 3

After you figure it out, invite all of San Diego over for a cookout lol.

I say you got a good offset, in pretty decent shape. Get some buddies to help you move it into place then start using it. It won't take long to get the hang of it. Afterwards, it will be time for a serious party!

Welcome from Ga. That looks like a Great Smoker. Very impressive. Looking forward to your posts and pics. You'll find this is the best place to be.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky