My wife is one of the founding members of the burnt meat club

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dr rat

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 27, 2011
So I’ve always known my wife was a member of the burnt meat club she likes her steaks, tri tip you name it well done always been able to kind of walk the line and cook mine the way I like and hers the way she likes. This week I realized she is a founding member!
I was doing my sausage mixup this weekend and I had to run to the store took longer than I anticipated I called her to check it and pull it if they were done or cover them so she said no problem. I got home a bit later and she said she covered them and they’re perfect and for me to pull from the grill. So this is what I have.
F16A4882-FBAD-4E38-A50F-987B55A1A087.jpeg
Luckily I had 2 pans as I was trying a new rub on them So mine vs hers
402D0856-9F8F-4767-AA3F-8CB320DB4C40.jpeg

Last edited:
My wife is the same way, a steak cant have any life or pink in it, $50 steak at a nice restaurant and any sign of pink its going back for some more crispification :emoji_laughing: , I do 99% of the cooking and have for a long time, getting ready to go on a diet for a few months, shoulder surgery and will be out of commission for a few months, that's ok need to loose some weight any way,

Reactions: dr rat and JLeonard
Well folks like what they like and I realized that years ago, I don't eat sushi or rare/raw fish no matter if it's high end tuna, cook it almost done for me. Beef or deer I just want hot, chicken well done pork 145+ is fine.

My wife is the same way, a steak cant have any life or pink in it, $50 steak at a nice restaurant and any sign of pink its going back for some more crispification :emoji_laughing: , I do 99% of the cooking and have for a long time, getting ready to go on a diet for a few months, shoulder surgery and will be out of commission for a few months, that's ok need to loose some weight any way,
You just described my wife‘s steak preference perfectly! I think it’s a genetic disorder. Well done steak is the worst-IMO A crime.

I dont cook her steak anymore. I just make them medium rare for me when she is traveling. It’s just easier. When I cook for us its meats that needs to be fully cooked like poultry, fish, pork etc. it’s fine…🤦‍♂️

That's not Burnt, that's flavor!

When I buy nice, thick prime steaks and I know someone will want theirs well done....
I buy them an inexpensive Sirloin and cremate that for them.

That or I cook everything rare- med rare, and then tell them the grill is still going or the oven broiler is on.
I just can't bring myself to do it.

My wife loves the pink meat! 💗 :emoji_innocent: :emoji_heart_eyes::emoji_laughing:

Last edited:
So I’ve always known my wife was a member of the burnt meat club she likes her steaks, tri tip you name it well done always been able to kind of walk the line and cook mine the way I like and hers the way she likes. This week I realized she is a founding member!
I was doing my sausage mixup this weekend and I had to run to the store took longer than I anticipated I called her to check it and pull it if they were done or cover them so she said no problem. I got home a bit later and she said she covered them and they’re perfect and for me to pull from the grill. So this is what I have. View attachment 692215Luckily I had 2 pans as I was trying a new rub on them So mine vs hersView attachment 692216
The answer: "thank you honey, I love you"
and make silent mental note

Reactions: dr rat
LOL it took a long while to convince my wife that a smoke ring doesn't indicate doneness. I mean, think about it for crying out loud, the outside wouldn't be raw and the inside cooked ...... My wife is also in the burnt is done camp.

My son was 8 years old when I had to sit him down and explain that the smoke alarm was not actually the dinner bell.

Perhaps my wife is a distant cousin to yours dr rat dr rat ?
LMAO 🤣
Funny anecdotal story...
Used to have a smoke detector that was badly placed, likely hypersensitive too, it was 20 feet away from the kitchen area and placed on the wall a foot below the ceiling line.
90% of the time I fried something it went off, even heating a CI to barely smoking set it off.
Everyone in earshot would holler, "John/Daddy is cooking!!!"

And it seemed to disfavor me especially, my wife seldom set it off, even when frying salmon patties.
I finally destroyed it one night in an effort to shut it up.
Replaced it and haven't experienced the same problem.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky