For the love of, Pyrex!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
"LONG"

I grew up watching my Sicilian Noni, Mother and Auntie 's cooking with Pyrex for as long as I can remember.

When I moved out of my parents house my Mom set me up with a few of her old stock pots and pans, along with a few Pyrex casserole and baking dishes.
I've always loved my old trustworthy Pyrex, and use it weekly if not daily.

Fast forward to yesterday, my crazy neighbor asks me to help her toss this big moving box into her trash bin, it was taped up. I try to lift it and it's heavier than I expected.
I ask her if I can open it to lighten the load, she says sure. I open the box and my heart skips a beat. I tried to hide my excitement as well as I could, but it didn't work.
I tell her what she is throwing away was some of the best glass cookware ever made.
She tells me it has been kicking around in her garage since her grandma passed away last year. I tell her to keep it, she says "nope, that it doesn't match her cookware" oh boy!!!
Then she says take it or it's going to the landfill.

I'm so stoked that I opened this box up before dumping it.
I just got done washing it and replacing my old walmart glass cookware.

I'm set for life with my favorite cookware ever, and it was FREE!!!!!

What do you know about Pyrex and feel free to post up some of you favorite pieces.

I didn't just score, I won the frick'in Superbowl!!!

Dan.

Attachments

• 20231209_164334.jpg
    20231209_164334.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 138
"LONG"

I grew up watching my Sicilian Noni, Mother and Auntie 's cooking with Pyrex for as long as I can remember.

When I moved out of my parents house my Mom set me up with a few of her old stock pots and pans, along with a few Pyrex casserole and baking dishes.
I've always loved my old trustworthy Pyrex, and use it weekly if not daily.

Fast forward to yesterday, my crazy neighbor asks me to help her toss this big moving box into her trash bin, it was taped up. I try to lift it and it's heavier than I expected.
I ask her if I can open it to lighten the load, she says sure. I open the box and my heart skips a beat. I tried to hide my excitement as well as I could, but it didn't work.
I tell her what she is throwing away was some of the best glass cookware ever made.
She tells me it has been kicking around in her garage since her grandma passed away last year. I tell her to keep it, she says "nope, that it doesn't match her cookware" oh boy!!!
Then she says take it or it's going to the landfill.

I'm so stoked that I opened this box up before dumping it.
I just got done washing it and replacing my old walmart glass cookware.

I'm set for life with my favorite cookware ever, and it was FREE!!!!!

What do you know about Pyrex and feel free to post up some of you favorite pieces.

I didn't just score, I won the frick'in Superbowl!!!

Dan.
Broke out the good stuff to celebrate.

Like I need an excuse. LOL!!!

Attachments

• 20231209_174036.jpg
    20231209_174036.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 129
Her Grandma was 96 yrs old, the lady that gave them too me is 46 yrs old.
She says her Granny has had most of it for as long as she can remember.
I'm finding it kinda difficult to date the stuff, not that it really matters, I'm not selling it unless it's a stupid crazy price. I did find out that the three small round and the matching rectangle dish with the brown print are not Pyrex, they are Pyr-o-ware/ Dynaware, which was the Mexican division of Pyrex.

Reactions: JLeonard
How about some love for CorningWare?

Glass bakeware is wonderful. I make a mean Big Green Eggplant Parmesan, (and enchiladas in one of those). Yes, there are spacers between the casserole and the ceramic platesetter.
View attachment 682999

How about some love for CorningWare?

Glass bakeware is wonderful. I make a mean Big Green Eggplant Parmesan, (and enchiladas in one of those). Yes, there are spacers between the casserole and the ceramic platesetter.
View attachment 682999
Holy cow, that looks KILLER!!!

Funny that you mentioned Corningware. That is what I replaced with the pytex. These Corningware dishes were my mother inlaws. I'm giving them to my brother in-law/ best friend. I never really cared for the round bowls, 5he cookware it's self is top notch, I just hated the shape. We only have a single oven right now, so space is paramount around this time of year, when the oven is working overtime.

Attachments

• 20231209_182542.jpg
    20231209_182542.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 20231209_182253.jpg
    20231209_182253.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: JLeonard
Holy cow, that looks KILLER!!!

Funny that you mentioned Corningware. That is what I replaced with the pytex. These Corningware dishes were my mother inlaws. I'm giving them to my brother in-law/ best friend. I never really cared for the round bowls, 5he cookware it's self is top notch, I just hated the shape. We only have a single oven right now, so space is paramount around this time of year, when the oven is working overtime.
Love that color

Reactions: forktender
What do you know about Pyrex
Nice score for sure . You have some nice pieces there . It's all good .The older stuff will have a small handle on the body , and a small knob on the lid .
Like this , older on the right .
20231209_203819.jpg
Lids ,
20231209_203933.jpg
Now you may have older bodies , with newer replacement lids that have a large knob .
The older ones will have a " P " letter in the number . The older ones will also have the number and type of dish stamped on the bottom , instead of under the handle .
20231209_203912.jpg
Either way , a P in the number , ( under the handle or stamped on the bottom ) is a sign of the older original pieces .
The larger handle bodies , and an A in the number are newer . Still good stuff .
This is the larger handle stamped number from the piece on the left .
You can see the A in the number .
20231209_203923.jpg
P is for the original Corningware from 62 through 71 .
A is post 72 .
Pyrex was made by Corningware .
I would look at the ones you have that aren't the Cornflower pattern . You have some small handled bodies , but I'd look into the colored casserole .

Nice score for sure . You have some nice pieces there . It's all good .The older stuff will have a small handle on the body , and a small knob on the lid .
Like this , older on the right .
View attachment 683009
Lids ,
View attachment 683008
Now you may have older bodies , with newer replacement lids that have a large knob .
The older ones will have a " P " letter in the number . The older ones will also have the number and type of dish stamped on the bottom , instead of under the handle .
View attachment 683010
Either way , a P in the number , ( under the handle or stamped on the bottom ) is a sign of the older original pieces .
The larger handle bodies , and an A in the number are newer . Still good stuff .
This is the larger handle stamped number from the piece on the left .
You can see the A in the number .
View attachment 683011
P is for the original Corningware from 62 through 71 .
A is post 72 .
Pyrex was made by Corningware .
I would look at the ones you have that aren't the Cornflower pattern . You have some small handled bodies , but I'd look into the colored casserole .
I will, thank you very much.
Dan.

I will, thank you very much.
Dan.
Some don't have anything except for Pyrex, some have the P. And most of the lids seem to be the larger size handle.
Here is the blue dish.

Attachments

• 20231209_193939.jpg
    20231209_193939.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20231209_193933.jpg
    20231209_193933.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: chopsaw
Man, maybe I need to get to be friends with some of my older neighbors! Thats a heck of a haul. Would hate to see it end up in the landfill!

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky