Life without kitchen for a month

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When selling our house in Delaware, buyers inspection led to finding mold in the wall.
Insurance wouldn't cover it because it was hidden. A bunch of BS if you ask me.
Cost me 8 grand.

Last edited:
Listen to Chopsaw's advice......truth! I know a lot of people that tried to cut corners here after the flood of 2016. Ended up costing them a whole lot more both time and money to do it right, and some people got sick from black molds....

Reactions: chopsaw
Are they monitoring the air quality in the space you're still in ?
Check the company that's doing the remediation and make sure they are licenced to do the work . I hope it's not Serve Pro .

They should also open up the walls and check inside .
I've had to open up the bottom of walls 2 foot high and pull everything out to get it to dry out , and that was before any mold started .
Thing is if they don't get it all , it will be one huge waste of time and money .
I honestly can't believe they didn't put you up somewhere .
I did check with the restoration company, it's local but decent size with proper licensing and bonded. My plumber (who I've dealt with a couple of times in the last 5-6 years) recommended them and another local but larger company - but these guys I chose are patient, understanding, and kind - and kindness goes a long way in todays world because it seems like there is less and less of it every day.

They had to cut out about 2.5 feet of drywall from slab up to get everything on the kitchen wall side. Studs were all clear (don't ask me how, because it was thick everywhere else) but I made sure myself.

I went a bit bananas on my adjuster and his manager today and they are putting me in a hotel until Saturday - and the manager said they understand that I work nights and that it absolutely can be extended during the rebuild.
Listen to Chopsaw's advice......truth! I know a lot of people that tried to cut corners here after the flood of 2016. Ended up costing them a whole lot more both time and money to do it right, and some people got sick from black molds....
Absolutely Inda! One of the reasons my family decided to move out of Louisiana was when the Ouachita flooded in '82 - my Grandfather said he'd had enough of tropical storms, mosquitos, and water damage. I had an Uncle and Aunt who had a camp on the Ouachita in Sterlington (built way up on stilts) and even though it was probably 40 feet above the river AND on stilts when we went to go check on it (that was a boat ride I'll NEVER forget, following the road that was 10 feet under water) it got pretty close.

Best forum on the net - with good expert people in all professions that give great advice no matter if it's cooking a chicken strip or stuff like this.

I do have to go now. I have to pray that God forgives me for all the times I said really ugly things and used His name in vain with Nation....somethingorother not on my side.

Love ya'll

I did check with the restoration company, it's local but decent size with proper licensing and bonded. My plumber (who I've dealt with a couple of times in the last 5-6 years) recommended them and another local but larger company - but these guys I chose are patient, understanding, and kind - and kindness goes a long way in todays world because it seems like there is less and less of it every day.
Good . Local is what you want .
They had to cut out about 2.5 feet of drywall from slab up to get everything on the kitchen wall side. Studs were all clear (don't ask me how, because it was thick everywhere else) but I made sure myself.
Perfect . I'm really surprised that the bottom plate of the wall framing wasn't impacted , but that's good .

Sounds like you're all over it with some good people in place .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Not to jump off topic but I got to ask. Last night I seen something on a auto forum I belong to, does BITOG mean anything to you, or is it someone else?

Dave

Yeah working nights they would have to put me up in a hotel also. Hopefully you got a good contractor that will do the job right and quickly.

Jim

I'm a resident troublemaker on BITOG - I get 'cut it out' messages from the mods over there all the time. Those mods are good mods, and run it like a big corporation, but that means I can't post stupid stuff like we do over here (you know the fun stuff like "if you like smoked pork gimme a Hell Yeah") It's pretty strict over there, and I get away with a good bit but one of these days I'll get the
1712178330733.png
1712178365283.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky