I had to say goodbye to my pug

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
She had a fused vertebrae. Somehow, she had injured her backbone. And her body trying to heal the vertebrae, built up a barrier that caused her to lose control of her back legs. It was degenerative. It slowly got worse until she could barely walk.

The time had come to let her go. Extremely difficult. I cried like a baby. Still crying.

This is her story .........

She was a special little dog. My youngest daughter got her at a Medievel Festival in Norman in 2011. She said these gals were selling the puppies for $80 , but these ladies looked like meth heads. And they were selling the puppies for their next fix.

My daughter took the puppie to our vet, and he chewed her out. Said this puppy was too young to be taken from its mother and would have problems. Said she should not buy puppies at Medieval festivals.

Julie may've been a bit neurotic, but she was a good dog. My daughters life was erratic, as young people's lives tend to be. So she would live with us a while, then not. So Julie was here and not here until late 2016.

Daughter was living with us moved out at that time. I told her that Julie needed to stay with us. That she would be better with me, than spending almost all her time alone in an apartment. Daughter agreed.

So for the past 8 years, Julie was my dog. She was with me 24/7. I took her to the park to walk almost every day. She loved going to the park.

Early on, she was agressive toward people we would meet on the trail. But one day, this lady wanted to pet Julie. And Julie allowed it. And it was like a switch was flipped. She then began going to everybody we would meet to get affection.

And of course, she was cute as a bugs ear and people loved petting her. Julie had the power to put smiles on peoples faces. They would just melt.

The trail at the park went right next to an elementary school. And the times we were on the trail as school let out, all the kids would come running to her, they loved a pug, she would be in the middle of all these kids petting her and be in hog heaven.

I loved her more than any dog I ever had. Putting this one down is gonna leave a deep scar.

When we would go to the park, she loved sitting on the console in my truck. Yeah, if we'd had a wreck, that's not the safest place. But I promise you, I would've hit the windshield before she did. I had my arm blocking her.

View attachment 683260
I'm so sorry. All I have is two asshole cats and I dread the day will come. Bless you for being a great Dad.

So sorry to hear this. I had a pug who was pretty awesome for a year or so. He had a seizure disorder that treatment couldn't help. I hated having to have him put to sleep. My current pups are my link to sanity and I am terrified of how I'll handle their passing someday. My heart goes out to you.

So sad to read that story, and so sorry for your loss. Our wee beastie, Beau, was brought to us in 2011 at only three weeks old. We knew it was too young but we were sure the owner was ready to drown the entire litter.

My youngest daughter and The Better 9/10ths bottle fed Beau until he was ready for the puppy chow.

He's still going strong, but, I too know that there will come a time...
20231002_183229.jpg

So very sad to hear of your loss. It is always so very hard saying goodbye to a friend. Sounds like you gave her a great life and she gave you companionship and affection and in the end, that both made each other happy is all that matters.

JC :emoji_cat:

Sorry to hear. Very hard to do.

Constant companions.

We had to do the same couple months ago with our 11 year old shitzu

• Love
Reactions: Smokin Okie
Very sorry for your loss. I too recently had a similar issue with my last cat, Gizmo. (we had up to 4 cats at one time, he was the last one) I miss him like crazy, and I have his last picture taken on my phone, so I get to see him every day still. He managed to sit up for me one last time for that picture. His last nights here were so brutal for us both. He was a people cat, always with you around the house, all the time. If you wanted to sit outside, he wanted to as well. Like a lap cat. His last couple days ended like his first couple days with us, curled up in my arm at night asleep in the bed.

Sorry for loss Smokin! I swear losing a dog is one of the most painful things to go through! Dogs are better than people and we dont deserve them!

Reactions: jcam222
Sorry to hear this Oakie, that's gotta be one of the toughest decisions pet owners have to make.

Chris

• Love
Reactions: Smokin Okie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky