My Recent Absence Explained

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Howdy all. Been a pretty depressing couple of weeks and has caused another extended absence from the forum. As a lot of you know, we recently moved my mom down here from Northern VA due to her living in squalor because of some less-than-honorable activity by my brother. As soon as she got here her physical health improved dramatically. We were blown away by how fast she got back on her feet (literally) with having people around to help and some good food. Sadly that joy was short lived however. A few weeks ago we noticed that her mental health was on a rapid decline. She started conjuring up these totally off the wall stories of places she'd been that morning, people she talked to (Johnny Cash for one), and things she'd done....but she never left the house. We had a feeling it was coming but did not anticipate it this fast. Life does throw us some curve balls though so I am just dealing with it as best I can. Didn't take long to figure out that if she's by herself for any period of time, either hanging out on the patio or just lounging on her couch in the family room, her mind wanders to far away places. The flip side is that when she's around people, she is much more grounded and in tune with reality. Having figured this out, I've been spending huge amounts of time with her trying to help keep her in as good a mental state as I can. Long drives through the Hill Country, going into town to stroll the stores, just sitting and chatting, getting her involved with cooking, watching You Tube videos of her favorite music from the 50's and 60's, etc. I just have not had time to spend here plus the fun of pretty much everything is gone, at least for now. I know it'll come back at some point but I've just lost a lot of motivation to do anything other than try to help mom as much as I can. I'm a bachelor today with Tracy being in KS with her family for the holiday and mom is taking a nap so thought I'd duck in here for a few minutes. I have been able to read most everything posted here when I log in early in the morning before anybody else gets up, but no time at all to reply. I've by passed some divine posts from many people that I admire and respect, which makes me feel horrible but in my mind, I want to believe I'm doing the right thing by taking care of mom. At this rate I don't believe she is gonna be with us much longer and it's heartbreaking to see the decline. The last thing we want to do is move her into assisted living where she really has nothing to live for. Gut feeling tells us that she wouldn't last a week without us around and having Bianca as a VERY close companion. I('m gonna try to spend at least a little time in here going forward but no promises.

On a different note, I'd like to extend a HUGE thanks to our good friend Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) for taking the reins on the Leftovers Throwdown and getting it out there. I've been pretty much no help at all and God do I feel remiss in my responsibility to all of you, Chris, and my commitment to help keep the events rolling. Chris....you da man!!

Gonna go try to reply to a few posts now before mom wakes up and we start our T'giving dinner for two.

Robert

So sorry to hear Robert! Wish the best for your mom and the rest of your family. Hope you and your mom have a great Thanksgiving meal together!

Ryan

Hope you and your mom have a great Thanksgiving meal together!
Thanks buddy, for all the sentiments, but today it's gonna be a real simple dinner. Tracy is in KS with her family so it's just me, mom, and the fat dog. Gonna shave a bunch of ham to make hot ham and cheese sandwiches along with some homemade fries. Got a bird in the brine and we will do our Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday when Tracy is here. Wishing the best for you and yours my friend.

Robert

Reactions: Brokenhandle
So sorry to hear about your difficulties. I sure can relate as my mom and us were dealing with her brain cancer before passing. Hang on and spend us much time as you can with her . My thoughts are with you and her.

Sorry to see this Robert. I know it’s not what you expected. But know that she is in a place where she will be taken care of and happy. Imagine if she hadn’t come to TX with y’all. Prayers coming y’all’s way!

Jim

I absolutely feel for you. My brother was a horror show when it came to how he could treat my dad.

You are doing the right thing my friend, no need to explain. Spend all the time you can with her. All of us will be here blabbering away when you have time to pop in. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sorry to hear but you are certainly doing the right thing. My mom has long past, and when she needed us the most I was traveling a lot for work. My wife spent a lot of time with her as did brother and sister but I still feel like I should have found a way to stay home.
Enjoy the time you have with her.

Reactions: jcam222
Robert sorry to hear about your mom but it’s a good thing you are there cause this time spent with your mom is priceless! I can relate a little at the moment on taking care of a loved one and seeing them struggle. Hang in there and keep up the good fight!

You're a good man Charlie Brown, oops I mean Robert. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Spend as much time as you can with her, and pamper her. She deserves it. Also I know you don't want to hear this, but if your mom's health continues in its current direction. You may want to bite the bullet and inform your brother of her condition. No matter what happened in the past. She is still his mother, and deserves the chance to see or at least talk to her.

Your in my prayers
Chris

Reactions: Fueling Around
Sorry to hear this Robert. Life was turning for the good side just a bit ago. Dang. But you take care of Mom, that’s what matters now. We will all always still be here when your work is done. God Bless Mom. And you and Tracy too.

Sorry to hear about your Mom Robert. I'm sure we all understand that family comes first buddy. Keep at it with your Moms, and we'll pray for you both.

I've just lost a lot of motivation to do anything other than try to help mom as much as I can.
Helping your mom is what's most important buddy and no one will fault you for that.
I want to believe I'm doing the right thing by taking care of mom.
You are absolutely doing the right thing. Robert, the path you're traveling is all too familiar, you may see my footsteps in the mud along the way, but know this...I'm/we are here for you...

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Robert you are doing the right thing!! Family first period!
This forum can wait till everything is figured out in your life.

Sorry to hear of your mothers condition. Spend as much time talking of old days with her, she will greatly appreciated that.
Happy belated Thanksgiving, and enjoy it in a few days with Mom and Tracy.

Howdy all. Been a pretty depressing couple of weeks and has caused another extended absence from the forum. As a lot of you know, we recently moved my mom down here from Northern VA due to her living in squalor because of some less-than-honorable activity by my brother. As soon as she got here her physical health improved dramatically. We were blown away by how fast she got back on her feet (literally) with having people around to help and some good food. Sadly that joy was short lived however. A few weeks ago we noticed that her mental health was on a rapid decline. She started conjuring up these totally off the wall stories of places she'd been that morning, people she talked to (Johnny Cash for one), and things she'd done....but she never left the house. We had a feeling it was coming but did not anticipate it this fast. Life does throw us some curve balls though so I am just dealing with it as best I can. Didn't take long to figure out that if she's by herself for any period of time, either hanging out on the patio or just lounging on her couch in the family room, her mind wanders to far away places. The flip side is that when she's around people, she is much more grounded and in tune with reality. Having figured this out, I've been spending huge amounts of time with her trying to help keep her in as good a mental state as I can. Long drives through the Hill Country, going into town to stroll the stores, just sitting and chatting, getting her involved with cooking, watching You Tube videos of her favorite music from the 50's and 60's, etc. I just have not had time to spend here plus the fun of pretty much everything is gone, at least for now. I know it'll come back at some point but I've just lost a lot of motivation to do anything other than try to help mom as much as I can. I'm a bachelor today with Tracy being in KS with her family for the holiday and mom is taking a nap so thought I'd duck in here for a few minutes. I have been able to read most everything posted here when I log in early in the morning before anybody else gets up, but no time at all to reply. I've by passed some divine posts from many people that I admire and respect, which makes me feel horrible but in my mind, I want to believe I'm doing the right thing by taking care of mom. At this rate I don't believe she is gonna be with us much longer and it's heartbreaking to see the decline. The last thing we want to do is move her into assisted living where she really has nothing to live for. Gut feeling tells us that she wouldn't last a week without us around and having Bianca as a VERY close companion. I('m gonna try to spend at least a little time in here going forward but no promises.

On a different note, I'd like to extend a HUGE thanks to our good friend Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) for taking the reins on the Leftovers Throwdown and getting it out there. I've been pretty much no help at all and God do I feel remiss in my responsibility to all of you, Chris, and my commitment to help keep the events rolling. Chris....you da man!!

Gonna go try to reply to a few posts now before mom wakes up and we start our T'giving dinner for two.

Robert
Don't fret one bit for being away buddy.
You are doing what needs to be done and taking care of mom is much more important. We'll be here when you get back.

I wish you and your mother all the best my friend and Happy Thanksgiving to you both! :D

Sorry your Mother's health has changed for the worse but know spending time with her is good for both of you. It is painful watching them decline but it would be worse for her if you weren't spending time with her. This place will still be here when you can spare the time to read and post. Praying for you and her as well as Tracy I know this affects all of you.

Robert, your family is number one and I think everyone here knows that. I am quite certain anyone here would do anything they could to help if they could. We got your back, take care if number one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky