New member. The smoker I bought is out of my league.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's one awesome looking smoker! I'm a hardcore kettle guy and I've never ran a stick burner but...
One of my good friends ran across one several years ago that looks almost just like yours. He didn't think the vertical part would ever get used either. After getting used to how that beast runs the vertical is what he uses the most. Says it's the best part of his smoker. And I can tell you it turns out some killer bbq. He started out using wood only and now uses a charcoal base and adds small wood splits. Says it's much easier to manage temp that way. He also uses the vertical section for cold smoking. Pulls out the grates and hangs the pork bellies in there. Runs a couple of pellet trays in the firebox.
Like gmc2003 gmc2003 said. Give it a wash and burn it out with a hot fire. I think you're gonna be real happy.

Reactions: HushyQ and Bworx
I had a neighbor call the fire department on me. Has a full on response. They smelled the bbq and asked what I was cooking. A few weeks later she called again. The car came up and asked what I was cooking. She called again and they told her to stop wasting their time. They were renters....they moved.
My area is full of crazies.
That's one awesome looking smoker! I'm a hardcore kettle guy and I've never ran a stick burner but...
One of my good friends ran across one several years ago that looks almost just like yours. He didn't think the vertical part would ever get used either. After getting used to how that beast runs the vertical is what he uses the most. Says it's the best part of his smoker. And I can tell you it turns out some killer bbq. He started out using wood only and now uses a charcoal base and adds small wood splits. Says it's much easier to manage temp that way. He also uses the vertical section for cold smoking. Pulls out the grates and hangs the pork bellies in there. Runs a couple of pellet trays in the firebox.
Like gmc2003 gmc2003 said. Give it a wash and burn it out with a hot fire. I think you're gonna be real happy.
👍🏻
Good info. I'm new to smoking. I wasn't expecting it to be as big as it is. But for the price I would have been an idiot to pass it up. Dirt cheap for my area. We don't see smokers like this around here. The seller had it listed wrong online too. Surprised I even saw the post. It wasn't until I messaged them that I got the real pictures. Well now comes the learning curve lol.

welcome from Nova Scotia

That is some smoker you have there. And everyone has you covered on all the how to's and I see you have it off your trailer and at it's new digs.
It sits there quite nice.

As long as your smokes are not as large as gmc2003 gmc2003 Chris showed you. You should be fine. lol

Enjoy your new smoker, and like said above have fun with it the way it is first, tweek it once you know how it runs .

And enjoy the foods , and post up as you can , we love to see how everyone else eats around here ,lol

David

Didn't mean to cause any flashbacks for ya David. LOL

Chris

Ha ha , all good Chris, I love big fires ( just not the ones that surround my little homestead ) and I would sit there all night with you just watching the flames, I love just relaxing by a good fire. And if there happens to be a cool adult beverage , bonus.

David

I get a smoker and now I'm remodeling the backyard?
I decided I didn't like all of the random bricks in my smoker area 😂. So I put new brick under it to match the rest of the area. I put sand down and packed it down like crazy. Laid the brick. All was great. I get back an hour later and the brick is sinking under the wheels. Did I mention it was heavy lol? Well I had some old trailer wheels so I removed the rotting tires and was left with this. I think I'm going to weld some new tires on it. The steel wheels are tough to deal with. But I do like the height better. I'm 6'2 and this thing is a bit low to the ground for me. I'll factor this in when I add some legit wheels.

Attachments

• 20240311_152429.jpg
    20240311_152429.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240311_191702.jpg
    20240311_191702.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 35
Right down to the wood handles, it looks to be the same unit as the first stock picture that you posted.
700 lbs… yeah that would be a workout to move it like you did.
Nice unit.

That smoking chamber is a real plus, and given time and practice, as others suggested it may end up being the most used chamber.

Here in the greater Phoenix area, hardwoods are very scarce and command high prices, I think in southern Ca. though, you can probably source plenty of oak.

In my situation, I use mostly charcoal with wood chunks….charcoal with wood chunks as opposed to just using Pecan wood for the full smoke results in great barbecue, using strictly wood for my smoker gets the unit hotter than I like and can make the food smokier than the wife likes.😉

With the size of that smoker, you might find the opposite to be true in being able to maintain the temps needed with just charcoal.

Looking forward to seeing your journey with that unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard and Bworx
Right down to the wood handles, it looks to be the same unit as the first stock picture that you posted.
Nice unit.

That smoking chamber is a real plus, and given time and practice, as others suggested it may end up being the most used chamber.

Here in the greater Phoenix area, hardwoods are very scarce and command high prices, I think in southern Ca. though, you can probably source plenty of oak.

In my situation, I use mostly charcoal with wood chunks….charcoal with wood chunks as opposed to just using Pecan wood for the full smoke results in great barbecue, using strictly wood for my smoker gets the unit hotter than I like and can make the food smokier than the wife likes.😉

With the size of that smoker, you might find the opposite to be true in being able to maintain the temps needed with just charcoal.

All good info/input. Thanks! I've been relaxing in AZ the past few days visiting fam. Man it's been cold and rainy over here. Not sure if you got any in your area. We even got some snow on the mountains by us. I was asked why I didn't bring the smoker. They want BBQ 😂
Man that thing is staying right where it is. I'm not moving it again lol. I did purchase some heavy duty wheels for it though. Solid rubber. I'm not dealing with flat pneumatic tires. Heading over to Oatman AZ tomorrow for a chill day. As much as I love the rain and cold days I'm hoping zero for tomorrow.

Reactions: JLeonard
Nice unit.

Btw I have seen this mentioned quite a bit on the forums. Mostly charcoal then adding some wood chunks. What charcoal are you using?

Reactions: JLeonard
I watched a couple videos on how to clean these. What would be the best way to clean the inside? It smells like fish and lighter fluid. PO smoked salmon in it. On my modded propane grill I installed an adjustable propane regulator. I turn it up high and roast the entire inside. It turns to ash. I clean the ash out and it's done. Would I do the same thing with this? Get a raging hot fire and burn it out? Or do I pressure wash it with chemicals? I want to do this while it's in the north 40 of my property before I bring it up by my grilling area. It will be interesting when I actually fire this thing up and team save the planet starts soiling their pants over the smoke smell. I won't be surprised if someone calls the fire dept. That will be my badge of honor.
I cleaned out my offset with hot fire once and I ended up burning a lot of the paint off. If that happens, it would be worth cleaning off any rust and re-painting, or you could end up with more rust than you want to deal with down the line.

Reactions: Bworx
Btw I have seen this mentioned quite a bit on the forums. Mostly charcoal then adding some wood chunks. What charcoal are you using?
Not the guy you asked but I would use lump or briquettes and really prefer lump, but both varieties work. Kingsford blue is hard to beat, as is Royal Oak lump. I q'd for a guy one time who brought me some wal mart brand briquettes, they even worked just fine, though I did side eye them the whole time.

Reactions: Bworx
Hello all. I have been recently going through the site and doing research on smokers for a few months now. I'm busy on a regular grill but wanted to try a smoker. Well I'm new here and finally purchased my 1st smoker! My problem is it's waaaaay too big. I had no idea what I was getting into when I made the deal. Not sure about the rules here with pics but I have a stock photo of what it looks like. By the time I finished loading it I was beat and it was dark. Mine doesn't have a brand name that I can see but it looks like the stock photo I am posting. I will take pics tomorrow during the day and post those. Btw I honestly had no idea it was going to be as big as it was. It was hand built in Texas and the previous owner had it shipped to him. Anyway I appreciate any help along the way! It looks a lot like the pic here.
Welcome to the Forum!. Looks like a nice smoker,

Last edited:
OOOOOPS... The link you posted brings us right back to this thread... LOL...

But I did see the other smoker (Brinkman) you picked up... They are great lil smokers too...

OOOOOPS... The link you posted brings us right back to this thread... LOL...

But I did see the other smoker (Brinkman) you picked up... They are great lil smokers too...
Thanks for that. I think I fixed it lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky