Venison Bologna is a good thing! (Lots pics )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DEERMAKER

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 12, 2024
NORTHEASTERN PA
Decided to make a Venison bologna with 80 /20 mix. It was first cook in smoker retro build (see post) so I was excited for the idea besides the fact!
I'll try to add info on the pic lines if I figure out how to. Stay with me, you'll get the point. Hope you enjoy!

Kept the meat super cold during whole process. Used well trimmed shoulder and rear meat for the venison 80% base and pork back fat for the 20%. Added the pink salt and half the water first, mixed nicely. Added rest water and the seasoning, mixed until SUPER sticky haha. It’s true though. Soak some 2.5 inch casing warm water while mixing. Stuffed these guys tight and to the max, now that I have the space in retro smoker lol. Overnight in frig until I smoke it next day.

Put them all in the smoker with plenty of room left, man it’s gonna be nice having this smoker! Dried em with the smoker fan on high and temps 100 degrees. Man that air comes through everyone of those holes on the back wall pretty nicely. 45 min later and ready for smoke. Raised temp to 140, fan running full, and Added smoke tray to the mailbox. I raised temps every hour 10 degrees, until internal target hit 150. 8 hrs later into the ice bath for about an hour. Wiped off and hung to air dry room temp for an hour or so. Into the frig again overnight. That’s the Story!

Attachments

• IMG_4491.jpeg
    IMG_4491.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4492.jpeg
    IMG_4492.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4493.jpeg
    IMG_4493.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4494.jpeg
    IMG_4494.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4495.jpeg
    IMG_4495.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4496.jpeg
    IMG_4496.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4497.jpeg
    IMG_4497.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4498.jpeg
    IMG_4498.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4499.jpeg
    IMG_4499.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4500.jpeg
    IMG_4500.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4503.jpeg
    IMG_4503.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4505.jpeg
    IMG_4505.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4515.jpeg
    IMG_4515.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4516.jpeg
    IMG_4516.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4526.jpeg
    IMG_4526.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4527.jpeg
    IMG_4527.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4528.jpeg
    IMG_4528.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4529.jpeg
    IMG_4529.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4547.jpeg
    IMG_4547.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4549.jpeg
    IMG_4549.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Made a 100% venison sweet Lebanon bologna after this and man it came out unreal. I
Nicely done . . .

Haven't seen a clean smoker like that for awhile😆
Yeah I know. I pumped heavy smoke into that for 5 hrs and still not showing lol.

Decided to make a Venison bologna with 80 /20 mix. It was first cook in smoker retro build (see post) so I was excited for the idea besides the fact!
I'll try to add info on the pic lines if I figure out how to. Stay with me, you'll get the point. Hope you enjoy!

Kept the meat super cold during whole process. Used well trimmed shoulder and rear meat for the venison 80% base and pork back fat for the 20%. Added the pink salt and half the water first, mixed nicely. Added rest water and the seasoning, mixed until SUPER sticky haha. It’s true though. Soak some 2.5 inch casing warm water while mixing. Stuffed these guys tight and to the max, now that I have the space in retro smoker lol. Overnight in frig until I smoke it next day.

Put them all in the smoker with plenty of room left, man it’s gonna be nice having this smoker! Dried em with the smoker fan on high and temps 100 degrees. Man that air comes through everyone of those holes on the back wall pretty nicely. 45 min later and ready for smoke. Raised temp to 140, fan running full, and Added smoke tray to the mailbox. I raised temps every hour 10 degrees, until internal target hit 150. 8 hrs later into the ice bath for about an hour. Wiped off and hung to air dry room temp for an hour or so. Into the frig again overnight. That’s the Story!
Nice rig you have there.

Congrats!

Man that all looks great, congrats on the nice new big venison smoke!

I've been trying to pencil in doing a venison with beef fat German bologna but too may other things eating up my time. This makes me wish I could just take like 2-3 weeks off and just do it all hahaha. I'll get to it.

Can't wait to see your next smoke!

Man that all looks great, congrats on the nice new big venison smoke!

I've been trying to pencil in doing a venison with beef fat German bologna but too may other things eating up my time. This makes me wish I could just take like 2-3 weeks off and just do it all hahaha. I'll get to it.

Can't wait to see your next smoke!
Ty, it was a long time coming!
Hope you can find the time to get at it.
I'll be doing something soon I'm sure, lots venison to use up thankfully lol!

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky