TD Entry - Smoked, Grill Seared, & Grill Roasted 5/6 Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So I did two other rib cooks and got so excited that I forgot to add the "ribs" tag both times and was getting ready to be an observer when I happened to go to Costco with the wife and did my usual look over the "sale meat" cooler and they had these babies marked 5/6 ribs on sale for 11.99/lb........ Needless to say there was an instant connection..... and I was back in the TD game!
96636D35-3AF9-46AB-8EDA-49F4AF9696DA.jpeg

Just a close up on the marbling of rib one
D4F9A3CC-6C66-43F5-8EBD-8A6DF2E824D8.jpeg

marbling of rib two
FB49F38A-AB0C-4F22-A0DC-0F461C6BB8FF.jpeg

Seasoned them up with Kinders BBQ and buttery caramelized onion rubs (heavy)
62DAAF06-0091-41C5-AC7A-C8BED07046D5.jpeg

On the RT 1250 at 180 (top shelf) for 2 hours till an INT of 100
BB900786-C634-4517-B497-F1ABC50A6026.jpeg

Side 1 sear, the weber sear station is HOT HOT HOT IE like 700+ degrees
488A8D60-474B-4171-A9C4-444A9EDD48DB.jpeg

Side two of the inferno searing.... man the kinders bbq rub really adds a really nice red color under the sear.... These saw about 90 seconds per side... you can see the infrared searing between the grill lines......I love this, I was trying to simulate a open flame sear.....
288C5A67-8121-4749-B3A9-D50C673AFD96.jpeg

Roasting on the top shelve (@ 390) to hit the INT of 130. A super sear and then roast at a lower indirect heat gives a much better window of reaching the ideal temp and helps reduce the risk of over shooting it. The really helps for a THICK cut like these! I just love how this roasting develops the crust and overall color of the meat and bone (note I do not foil wrap the rib bone because I want a nice roasted color.
735D2904-B764-4533-9DF7-5E5603959D3B.jpeg

Resting in the natural sunlight...... nothing but smiles now!
31FE1DF2-1D0A-40EA-82EE-065DE55CE7C2.jpeg

Slices from number one
EE8A6BC8-A74A-4181-AB77-81BDBB3A7B83.jpeg

Slices from number two......
5FD28C97-A78C-42E7-AFAD-080361C7B907.jpeg

The full plate, served with pan roasted greens, seared bellas and a bourbon beef demi (2c-beef stock, 1/2c-bourbon, 2tbsp-Worcestershire, 3tbsp-soy, 1-tsp-veg base, a splash of starch slurry-1tbsp, black pepper & salt)
B37DE6BD-814C-41CB-9CFB-FEAFDC8AB853.jpeg

Pure beef rib money!
39CDEC58-2D88-45FE-98D1-BDF6255CD692.jpeg

Oh had to add that the boy frosted the crystal glasses for some blush to go with it....man that was a huge add!
3BE73FD1-D89D-4FBE-851B-8245E41D5400.jpeg

That was a Great entry!! They looked so perfect and Tasty!! Nice Job!

Sean

So I did two other rib cooks and got so excited that I forgot to add the "ribs" tag both times and was getting ready to be an observer when I happened to go to Costco with the wife and did my usual look over the "sale meat" cooler and they had these babies marked 5/6 ribs on sale for 11.99/lb........ Needless to say there was an instant connection..... and I was back in the TD game!
View attachment 671627

Just a close up on the marbling of rib one
View attachment 671629
marbling of rib two
View attachment 671630

Seasoned them up with Kinders BBQ and buttery caramelized onion rubs (heavy)
View attachment 671631

On the RT 1250 at 180 (top shelf) for 2 hours till an INT of 100
View attachment 671632

Side 1 sear, the weber sear station is HOT HOT HOT IE like 700+ degrees
View attachment 671634

Side two of the inferno searing.... man the kinders bbq rub really adds a really nice red color under the sear.... These saw about 90 seconds per side... you can see the infrared searing between the grill lines......I love this, I was trying to simulate a open flame sear.....
View attachment 671633

Roasting on the top shelve (@ 390) to hit the INT of 130. A super sear and then roast at a lower indirect heat gives a much better window of reaching the ideal temp and helps reduce the risk of over shooting it. The really helps for a THICK cut like these! I just love how this roasting develops the crust and overall color of the meat and bone (note I do not foil wrap the rib bone because I want a nice roasted color.
View attachment 671635

Resting in the natural sunlight...... nothing but smiles now!
View attachment 671636

Slices from number one
View attachment 671637

Slices from number two......
View attachment 671639

The full plate, served with pan roasted greens, seared bellas and a bourbon beef demi (2c-beef stock, 1/2c-bourbon, 2tbsp-Worcestershire, 3tbsp-soy, 1-tsp-veg base, a splash of starch slurry-1tbsp, black pepper & salt)
View attachment 671638

Pure beef rib money!
View attachment 671640

Oh had to add that the boy frosted the crystal glasses for some blush to go with it....man that was a huge add!
View attachment 671641
nice work and entry!

Real good job here Civil! Congratulations on the win! I can’t wait to see what you do with that CPB in the future.

Fred

Real good job here Civil! Congratulations on the win! I can’t wait to see what you do with that CPB in the future.

Fred
Thanks TC! Yea I’m really excited about doing some CPB smokes for sure!
Beautifully done!!!
Much appreciated ebz
Man, that looks fabulous.
Gimme some of that.
Happy to share edmonds! Thanks!
Looks great in the TD and looks even better here! Congrats!

Jim
Thanks Jim for a second time!

That's one I never would have thought of for a rib TD, and you cooked them perfectly Civil.

Point for sure
Chris

Awesome job on those ribs! And glad you stuck it out for 3 rib cooks! You sure have been eating well!

Ryan

Absolutely beautiful steaks and cooked to perfection. That finished plate just screams my name. What a beautiful meal Civil. Sure am glad you found yourself "back in the game" and entered these in the TD :emoji_wink:

Robert

These are simply beautiful. Perfectly done and the presentation for the throwndown was perfect. I'd call it simple elegance!I would pay good money to sit down to a meal of those.

That's one I never would have thought of for a rib TD, and you cooked them perfectly Civil.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris, I didn't have the thought till I looked in the meat cooler and I saw the 5/6 Ribs labeled package.....The light went on at that moment.....I had another one planned and scrapped it for this one.....
Awesome job on those ribs! And glad you stuck it out for 3 rib cooks! You sure have been eating well!

Ryan
Many thanks Ryan!

This was my first rib cook.....Short Ribs and corn pasta salad
TD-Short Ribs.jpeg

This was my second cook.......Beef Ribs....
TD-BeefRibs.jpeg

Then, I actually did another beef ribs and got the name and everything, but then I saw the 5/6 ribs and well you know that story......
TD-BeefRibs2.jpg

So the above got replaced by the 5/6 ribs....I think I made a wise choice......
TD-5-6Ribs.png

In the end, I got to eat many yummy ribs!!!!

Absolutely beautiful steaks and cooked to perfection. That finished plate just screams my name. What a beautiful meal Civil. Sure am glad you found yourself "back in the game" and entered these in the TD :emoji_wink:

Robert
Much appreciated Robert! It was a really fun cook that I very much enjoyed...... I also got to enjoy many other ribs in prep..... Practice makes perfect right?
These are simply beautiful. Perfectly done and the presentation for the throwndown was perfect. I'd call it simple elegance!I would pay good money to sit down to a meal of those.
Thanks jcam! Just a simple focus on "ribs" was my vision so thanks for sharing that.... Ie "X" marks the spot!!! The overall price was still lest than the local burger joint.....

Reactions: jcam222
Nothing wrong with that corn pasta salad for sure!

Ryan
So the corn pasta salad is a recipe from the "Moon Time" restaurant in Couer d' Alene Id and they have it posted openly so I don't feel guilty sharing it.....it is CRAZY GOOD!
TD-MoontimeCornPasta.PNG

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky