Throwdown Entry- Smoked Beef Chuck Bourbon Thyme Stew & Garlic Toast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
Started this off with a nice size chuck…..
IMG_7620.jpeg

Seasoned it up with some Kinders caramelized Buttery Onion…..again this is my hack of seasoning in the bottom of the sink so no mess all over the kitchen…..
IMG_7621.jpeg

Then it went in the RT 1250 @ 265….. it was a nice day and the sun was out!
IMG_7623.jpeg

I smoked it for just a bit over 5 hours……then pulled it to cool on a rack…..
IMG_7626.jpeg

I let the chuck cool for about an hour then got started on the root side of things…..
IMG_7627.jpeg

All the roots got dropped in the 14 in Hexclad sauce pan to get a little color with some butter and a bit of classic olive…..once they started to color I added a can of tomato paste and seared till it pinched, ie cooked in where it turns rusty and fragrant……
IMG_7628.jpeg

While the roots were searing I cubed up the cooled chuck and trimmed out the fat and connective tissue……
IMG_7629.jpeg

This was added to the pan the added 1c of bourbon, 2c of red wine, and 6c beef stock and a couple of Kinders stew seasoning (the easy button) just happen to see it as I was shopping for the onions and spuds……
IMG_7630.jpeg

The whole pan went into the oven uncovered @ 375……progress shot about 45 min in…..
IMG_7631.jpeg

The roots were just right at 80-85 mins……this pic also show why 375…..notice the browning/searing the exposed chuck cut faces. I did stir it every 15 min or so to have all the faces get air seared in the oven…..
IMG_7632.jpeg

Bingo the bowl shot…..oh with the fresh thyme and seared shrooms. I like to sear the shrooms separate to get a nice sear so they keep their texture and not “stewed”
IMG_7641.jpeg

Money shot!
IMG_7642.jpeg

This was leftovers……added some heavy creme in to make a silky version…….oh man this was also crazy good!
IMG_7652.jpeg

This makes me hungry again just posting this pic again……smoked chuck stew leftover money!
IMG_7651.jpeg

Man, that sure does look good. Thanks for sharing 👍. Definitely gonna have to give that a try.

Last edited:
Disgusting, ---------->Disgustingly beautiful that is. I bet that tasted great Civil !!!

Point for sure
Chris

Loved the entry and love it even more seeing the build post! I've seen those Kinders seasoning and was wondering about them. May give the chili seasoning a try.

Jim

Man, that sure does look good. Thanks for sharing 👍. Definitely gonna have to give that a try.
Thanks JL! It takes some time but is rather easy. It just building layers of flavors. We usually do it. With pulled chuck and my wife’s makes the searing scratch. But we are going to do this again for sure.
Looks delicious you got my vote in the throw down!
Much appreciated Jake! I had other complex plans but in the end it came down to simple beef!
Looks great! Now I'm thinking about making stew.
Thanks Steve! As you know we smoke chuck all the time and this is just another yummy reason to smoke more if it!

I can only imagine how absolutely delicious this was. Sounds so rich and man I bet the addition of cream in the leftovers was decadent. As others have said the level of entries in this throwdown was historically excellent. Love fresh thyme too. I brought my rosemary and thyme in pots into my garage for the winter and it's still alive. Love getting fresh herbs all winter.

That looks fantastic !!
Thanks chop!!
Disgusting, ---------->Disgustingly beautiful that is. I bet that tasted great Civil !!!

Point for sure
Chris
lol….. thanks Chris! It was a tasty bowl for sure! It didn’t last long….it was like bam bam it’s all gone and even a silicone scraper in the Tupi to get it all!
Loved the entry and love it even more seeing the build post! I've seen those Kinders seasoning and was wondering about them. May give the chili seasoning a try.

Jim
Many thanks Jim! I considered doing the full pan as a picture as seeing all the caramelized chuck was eye catching. The kinders stuff is good. It is a bit spicy at their suggested amount I would suggest starting at 1/2 the package amount then build to desired.

Reactions: JLeonard
I can only imagine how absolutely delicious this was. Sounds so rich and man I bet the addition of cream in the leftovers was decadent. As others have said the level of entries in this throwdown was historically excellent. Love fresh thyme too. I brought my rosemary and thyme in pots into my garage for the winter and it's still alive. Love getting fresh herbs all winter.
Thanks jcam! Yea it was deep beef flavor for sure! It was a bit spicy for my wife so the creme. Yes that took it to decadent!

I fully agree, when I first looked over the group I was like holy crap talk about everyone stepping up! I was eyeing your rosemary and chopped herbs on your bowl….. we love fresh herbs and the wife wants a green house to keep herbs in…..it a bit down the honey do list though. By the way the fresh thyme was the perfect bright note to finish the bite of right!

Reactions: jcam222
Beautiful! What temp did you pull the roast? I would like to try chuck in place of brisket for chili. I just don’t want it to shred.

Beautiful! What temp did you pull the roast? I would like to try chuck in place of brisket for chili. I just don’t want it to shred.
It was about 150-155ish, but since I braise chuck often, I know it was about 200 after the time in the oven.

FYI We use smoked chuck for chili all the time but we like it partially shredded, it i would foil boat (covered) the chuck from the temp above and take it to 203. Then a "pull" it and leave larger pieces. This way it is very tender. The alternate way is the drop it in the chili and simmer it for 2 hours to get the pieces in the near 200 INT range.....

Reactions: OldSmoke
Wow! I'm never entering one of these. lmao
I don't have the skills. What an awesome entry
Thanks texo? Oh a little practice is all it takes and the floating judge vote is like buy lotto tickets....entering is the only way to win.... :-)
Excellent entry!! Looks so damn Tasty!!
Many thanks Redi!

Yum. Looks delicious
Many thanks broke! The best part of these TD's is you get to make some good stuff to eat......its like just one more reason to smoke something as if we need one....LOL

Nicely done civil… looks top notch man! Only one problem is I guess my invite got lost in the mail?! 🤔🤣

Man, I have to step up my game in these TD’s to compete with what you and others post!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky