A couple of ribeyes after a dry spell

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
Ok, I know, I haven't posted ANYTHING in a bit, but between seed starting, planting, and taking care of neighbors, I've been too whooped to get anything on the grill or smoker.

BUT, yesterday the bride and I both decided that we needed a steak. She pulled 2 of our brangus ribeyes out of the freezer early in the morning for the grill last night.

I seasoned them up around 2pm, put them on a rack and let them sit in the refrigerator until 6. I pulled them from the frig just after I started a fire in the Weber Kettle with charcoal and some very seasoned mesquite wood.

Once the coals were ashed over, and the mesquite was lightly burning, I seared the crap out of them and then moved them over until I hit 125 IT.

Usually I start them off to the cold side and let them hit temp before I sear, but I wanted to try the sear first method. Didn't see a lot of difference.

IMG_5541.JPG

IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_5545.JPG

Once they were rested, we plated them up with some of the WORST mashed potatoes we've ever had! But, with enough juice from the steaks, the mashed potatoes were decent...

IMG_5547.JPG

Sadly, the sliced shot I took was too dark since we decided to eat in the bonding room and not at the table. Just not enough light, but I assure you, they were an almost perfect medium rare.

As things start to slow down a bit, I should get back to my normal couple of times a week cook.

Yummy. How does brangus compare to straight Angus? Or say your normal northeast breeds? I am sure it's all in feed as with any beef breed.

Great looking steaks, and the grill shot , perfect.

View attachment 691997

David
Thanks! I think I lost a little hair on my knuckles for that one.
Yummy. How does brangus compare to straight Angus? Or say your normal northeast breeds? I am sure it's all in feed as with any beef breed.
We see a little more fat from the brangus, but flavor wise it's about the same. The steers we had processed were mostly grass and hay fed with a little grain and cubes a couple of times a week. No real grain finish on them.

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Flame kissed steaks - Does it get any better. Nice Job CB

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Yay, give me a flame grilled ribeye any day. Can't beat 'em. What's you take of finishing steers with grain vs not?

Yay, give me a flame grilled ribeye any day. Can't beat 'em. What's you take of finishing steers with grain vs not?
It's hard to beat a good steak cooked over flames from real wood for sure.

As for grain finished beef, I grew up on pasture raised beef and love the flavor of it. While I like the grain finished, I like the grain now and then style of feeding better. We've done some comparisons with steers in the past where a couple were given grain daily for the last couple of months prior to processing, and a couple of steers that were on the normal schedule of mostly grass and hay with grain and cubes a couple of times a week (more in winter if needed, but I'm in Texas, so you never know). All that tried the 2 preferred the pasture raised over the grain finished.

Now, the beef we process each year comes from a family friend's ranch, and they feed like we always did when I was growing up; pasture/hay with grain/cubes now and then. I can't raise feeder steers on my place since my bride tends to name EVERYTHING and therefore would refuse to eat it. :emoji_laughing:

It's also taken a while for her to get to where she liked (and understood) the flavor of the mostly grass fed beef. At first she called it "gamey" since she didn't realize what actual beef tasted like. Now, when she picks up a manager special steak or 2 at the grocery store, she mentions the flavor difference.

Sorry, I get chatty when it comes to this topic. :emoji_sunglasses:

It's hard to beat a good steak cooked over flames from real wood for sure.

As for grain finished beef, I grew up on pasture raised beef and love the flavor of it. While I like the grain finished, I like the grain now and then style of feeding better. We've done some comparisons with steers in the past where a couple were given grain daily for the last couple of months prior to processing, and a couple of steers that were on the normal schedule of mostly grass and hay with grain and cubes a couple of times a week (more in winter if needed, but I'm in Texas, so you never know). All that tried the 2 preferred the pasture raised over the grain finished.

Now, the beef we process each year comes from a family friend's ranch, and they feed like we always did when I was growing up; pasture/hay with grain/cubes now and then. I can't raise feeder steers on my place since my bride tends to name EVERYTHING and therefore would refuse to eat it. :emoji_laughing:

It's also taken a while for her to get to where she liked (and understood) the flavor of the mostly grass fed beef. At first she called it "gamey" since she didn't realize what actual beef tasted like. Now, when she picks up a manager special steak or 2 at the grocery store, she mentions the flavor difference.

Sorry, I get chatty when it comes to this topic. :emoji_sunglasses:
Understand the naming issue. The odd thing we've experience here is the grandkids always name the new borns but don't seem to have any issue when it's time to process. Guess the daughter & husband have done a good job teaching them. Appreciate the feedback on the pasture vs grain. Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky