New cold weather shack, and a Q-view!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

capt dan

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 2, 2007
I promised pics, and I hope these are downsized a bit from the last atempt.

Here are the pics of the new "stinky shack". I posted the info on it in another post but it is 6 ftx 4 ftx 8 ft tall.

this is the side veiw with the TBS

Thsi is the view if you are looking in the door

And finally the smoker inside the new home

I know ole stinky aint so pretty, but it works!

Nicely done. I'm sure ole stinky likes its new home.

Capt Dan
Thanks for posting and I do like the smoke hut, all ole stinky needs is a wire brush and some paint in the spring !!!!

Pics looked about right so I'll add the Q-view now.
This is the butts on the pit, ready to close the door and begin the smoke. The big one is 8 lbs, and the 2 pieces are actually 1 butt that almost broke in half, so I cut them.

I was amazed at the lump saved today to do this smoke. I used less than 1 bag , and the big butt was done in about 8 hrs., the other 2 halves came out later, the one without the bone(to slice) was an hour and a half later, and the half with the bone had a total of 10 hrs. I would have never believed it. I did a fatty too, but didn't take pics.
This is the larger but after it rested for 2 hrs.

That one was pulled, took it to 180 then foiled it, and finished it to 200, then rested for 2hrs in a wrap in a cooler. Pulled very nice, thats what's in the foil pan. The other top half of the butt went to 170, then I foiled it, and took it to 190, and rested it for an hour, it is the pic that is cut in half, and the slices. It is the first time I have ever taken one out early for slicing, and I LIKE IT!

So thats it, all the butts were injected with apple juice, worchestershire sauce, salt, water and some of the rub. They sat overnight after they were rubbed. I tossed a bit more rub on them before they went on the grate. I am very happy with the outcome, the bark was excellent, and I foiled them late just to get a harder/tougher bark.
I have just purchased Jeff's rub and sauce recipes, and have yet to try the rub, but I did make the sauce the other night for company and it was a big hit!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I am very happy with my lil shack, even though the family shakes their head when they look at it, I love it, and it made a HUGE difference today on smoking time, and fuel consumption. I do need to install some windows/vents. Most of the day the door was propped open, it is like a sauna in there if you close the doors.
No wind today, and a mild 26-31 degrees, so the real test will come when it gets to the single digits with gale force winds. I think it will be just fine.!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

good job capt'n.........when i first looked at the pics.......thought you made a cold smoking unit.......LOLOL

yeah......that sliced pork lookgs GREAT

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky