Labor Day Weekend, What's Ya Smokin'

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm thinking I'm going to try a few roaster chickens, Hickory. probably throw on another scotch egg fatty or two (Just hard boiled egg slices inside hot breakfast sausage/ground turkey 50/50 mix) on Monday... it's my B-day too.

I have to get to the barn and get my avatar car running on Sat./Sun.

I am going to my property in Chokoloskee and on saturday will be smoking some Salmon. Then on Sunday will be smoking 6 slab of ribs and since I have my new Paella cooker I will be making Paella. I tried it out for the first time last night. It turned out pretty good. I will take lots of pics this time and then try to post them. Oh yeah and doing lots of fishing for snook too. Open season is on Monday

I have relatives that have a lot (with a 5th wheel and a boat) at the campground next to Totches old house... how'd Chokoloskee do when Fay went right over? Dale and Therese.

You must be english, judging by the way you spelled "labour" day. Well the actual meaning of the holiday I'm a little fuzzy on and can't be bothered to look it up...but it's pretty much the unofficial end of summer. Not to mention it's a 3 day weekend, so plenty of time for smoking.

ABT=atomic buffalo turd.....jalapenos stuffed with...well stuff with whatever you want. Just like the fattie, there's not really a set rule on this. Check out the ABT forum for lots of cool recipes and pics. Just don't go it on an empty stomach (as I've already done today)

Well my lot did good there was a lot of flooding and my friends lot who is on the water had lots of mud on it. He had a water line 17 inches high.
We got lucky there I think. I spoke to some of the regulars there and they stayed, man thats nuts not knowing how bad it could have gotten.

Good to see most everyone has a plan even if they're not smoking anything.
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

Same to you Dan, I just realised that you're from Kalamazoo, I was born in Allegan, and plan on heading uup to see my Dad at the end of Septemeber. He lives on Duck Lake in Gobles, well not right now, because his house is being rebuilt after it burnt down.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

i am trying to talk my wife (who is not a huge fan of BBQ - YET!) into some CS ribs smoked low and slow until we can pull them into spammies.

i haven't yet found the "right" smoking wood for her taste as everything to her seems to be too strong in the smoky department. i've been using an apple/cherry/maple combination and loving it, but perhaps i will just try apple or maple this time.

Why don't you try Hickory and just hold back on the smoke that way you still get some smoke and its not to strong , orrrrrrrrrr after they are done take them to the grill lather them in your fav sauce and then let her have them that way. I remember the first time I used my smoker and I used mesqete ( how ever you spell it) and man it was way to much now I know just how much to use to get the flavor I want. Hey practice makes perfect right?

>>>Hey practice makes perfect right?<<<

that's right! and the practice is the fun part.

funny thng is, she likes the a LOT the next day after they've mellowed out in the fridge overnight.

i'll try your idea of backing off the smoke - maybe only one chunk of hickory an hour or something.

>>>Maybe not add smoke to the entire cook........just a hour or two......<<<

WD - just saw your reply - i'll try one chunk of hickory an hour for two hours. that should tone it down to a level that works for her ~

thanks!

Thought I'd bump this back up incase others missed it. So far it looks like some good smokin going on this weekend. I just bought everything for Sunday's fattie meatloaf smoke, there's some good sales going on right now, just for a example case of Bud Bottles is $11.99 at Publix.

No smoke for me this weekend, I am going to NYC to see the Yankees play some ball. I will be dreaming of some smoke will i snooze on the plane thats for sure!

I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully it will take a sharp left in the Gulf and go over the Yucitan. Not wishing this storm on anyone, but you guys have had enough for now. Stay safe!!

Still working my way up to speed, so I was hoping to grill 4 tri tips with red oak, but Gloria wants them smoked with mesquite and apple. Good thing I wasn't going to bake something...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky