Did it live up to the hype?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danblacksher

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Brandon, Mississippi
We’ll due to a work trip last week I found myself in Dallas on Thursday night. We did not have a meeting until 6pm Friday so I talked my coworker into a little adventure on Friday Morning. I realized we were only 1 hour from the number 1 rated bbq place in all of Texas. The next morning at 7am I told my coworker let’s go. He thought I was nuts I said if we don’t get there early there is no guarantee we will get any. We arrived at Goldees at 8am and he was shocked we were about 20 people deep in line since they don’t open till 11am. We waited with everyone else and then it opened. We got Brisket, pork ribs, pork belly, smoked Turkey, sausage, jalapeño sausage, beans, cole slaw, jalapeño cheese grits, homemade bread, and Bannana Pudding. What it worth the wait and did it live up to the hype? Without a doubt yes. Best BBQ I have ever eaten in a restaurant. The people around us in line had flown in from New Hampshire the day before just to come there. It was Excellent the best and not even close I have eaten bbq in Kansas City St Louis, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and this was the top of the top. It is absolutely worth the travel and worth the wait. Highly recommend. The best smoke Turkey, ribs, pork belly, brisket and sides I have ever had at a bbq joint.
IMG_6082.jpeg
IMG_6084.jpeg
IMG_6085.jpeg
IMG_6087.jpeg
IMG_6088.jpeg
IMG_6090.jpeg
IMG_6086.jpeg
IMG_6091.jpeg
IMG_6092.jpeg
IMG_6093.jpeg
IMG_6095.jpeg
IMG_6097.jpeg
IMG_6099.jpeg
IMG_6100.jpeg
IMG_6101.jpeg
IMG_6102.jpeg
IMG_6104.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
We’ll due to a work trip last week I found myself in Dallas on Thursday night. We did not have a meeting until 6pm Friday so I talked my coworker into a little adventure on Friday Morning. I realized we were only 1 hour from the number 1 rated bbq place in all of Texas. The next morning at 7am I told my coworker let’s go. He thought I was nuts I said if we don’t get there early there is no guarantee we will get any. We arrived at Goldees at 8am and he was shocked we were about 20 people deep in line since they don’t open till 11am. We waited with everyone else and then it opened. We got Brisket, pork ribs, pork belly, smoked Turkey, sausage, jalapeño sausage, beans, cole slaw, jalapeño cheese grits, homemade bread, and Bannana Pudding. What it worth the wait and did it live up to the hype? Without a doubt yes. Best BBQ I have ever eaten in a restaurant. The people around us in line had flown in from New Hampshire the day before just to come there. It was Excellent the best and not even close I have eaten bbq in Kansas City St Louis, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and this was the top of the top. It is absolutely worth the travel and worth the wait. Highly recommend. The best smoke Turkey, ribs, pork belly, brisket and sides I have ever had at a bbq joint.
Wow that looks fantastic!

It's nice to find some amazing BBQ aye? Glad you got to enjoy it while here in TX :D

Reactions: JLeonard
Dont know that the work buddy would have gotten any of that! Mighty fine looking BBQ.

Jim

That’s cool, but what was it exactly that was good about that bbq? What sets it apart?
It was the best cooked bbq I have had. All the meats had incredible flavor, tender, and juicy. Not a tough, flavorless, or dry bite on the whole plate. It could be because they sell out withing 2 to 2 1/2 hours. We talked with a guy sitting next to us that had flown in just to do a bbq tour and he said he has been traveling around for 15 years to bbq places and told one of the main Goldees guys this is the best bbq I have ever eaten. I have to agree. The pork ribs blew my mind how tender, juicy and flavorful they were. The sides were also phenomenal. Great cole slaw different but the best I have had. The whole experience was just great. Was it good enough for me to travel, and sit outside for 3 hours again? A thousand times yes. It was their consistency according to Texas Monthly that earned them the #1 spot. Also the inside dining area is not very big so you could hear what everyone was saying around us and it was all the same this is the best I have had, not one negative comment from anyone.

Last edited:
IDK it would take a bunch of beers at 8 am for me to wait that long on a line. Also if they only have enough food for 2.5 hours they need more smokers.
Lol, agree, but they are only open Friday through Sunday 11- sold out so money is good enough for them. Plus they have Monday through Thursday to get the meat ready, and I believe in there lays the secret to the sauce so to say.

IDK it would take a bunch of beers at 8 am for me to wait that long on a line. Also if they only have enough food for 2.5 hours they need more smokers.
There were lots of people that brought their ice chests lol. I was drinking coffee, but apparently Coffee was a code word for beer for many of them. The wait was very entertaining with all the other crazies.

Sure sounds nda and looks good! Thanks for sharing. I always drool over the pics of the sausage at those joints

At least worth the experience? I'll do somthing once and if worth a repeat may make an adventure as the others in your photos.

Nice platter of eats.

SO .....
How many people refilled their coolers with food?
I did not see any do that, but i kinda blacked out when I started eating it was so good lol.

So, next question....how many pounds of stuff did you guys buy?
1 pound of brisket 1 pound of Ribs 1/2 pound of pork belly and 1/2 pound of Turkey the sausage was like $7 per link we got 2 sides ranged in price about 8 bucks and can’t remember the banana putting, the bread is made each day fresh and comes with the food. Water is free and we did not get any drinks

Reactions: indaswamp
I've heard Goldee's is excellent barbecue. I live in the Ft. Worth area, but I have not yet tried it because of the wait involved and the possibility that you could wait and they could run out before you were served.

The popular press around here seems to declare a different barbecue joint the "best in Texas" every year or so, so you can get jaded by the hype. A couple years ago it was Heim's in Ft. Worth. I did go there and it was (and still is) excellent and I only had to wait an hour!

There is so much good barbecue around here that I'd be hard pressed to wait for more than an hour. The quickest way to get into an argument in these parts is ask a group of folks where the best barbecue can be found! :emoji_blush:

You learn quickly that good barbecue is really expensive, too. My wife and I had lunch at Terry Black's in Austin a couple years ago and spent over $100 for the two of us. But it was really good!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky