Smoking pork butt the day before

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good suggestions here. I prefer the vac seal and a low simmering pot (already pulled - was that said?) If you do the crockpot give yourself plenty of time - I’d do 3 hrs minimum, I’d start 4 hrs early, can always turn to low to just keep warm. Btw, did you make some finishing sauce?

Lots of suggestions, but the best is NOT putting the crock pot in the fridge and allowing ample time for the heating.
I smoke all my butts either over an aluminum pan (if I have a second shelf) or in an aluminum pan with bottom spacers. In the pan requires turning about 1/2 way through the smoke. I want to collect all the drippings. I don't defat the drippings. Fat is flavor and mouth feel moisture.
I rub with a very low salt and no sugar blend.

Thanks. I never shred/pull pork and just use a knife and make hunks. Grab some TonyC Injection from the store with the needle. Works a long time if you take care of it Broadcast needle (holes along length) with cajun injector works better and lasts much longer. I made up the injection based on his recipe from his book and lucky for you it's made it way onto the web... Nothing wrong with a rub but people mistakenly think it will make a big impact on the overall product, nope. Mostly a coloring agent and adds a little flavor to the bark. I didn't use rub on that run because I use it for different stuff like tacos so I wanted a blank canvas. It was mentioned already but seriously check out Chef JJ "finishing sauce". I put in quotes as I do not use it like that but rather as a vinegar based sauce option. Good luck!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/jjs-finishing-sauce-awesome.122319/
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/hog-injection-365433
The only Tony C I can find around here is the garlic and herb one, I tried searching multiple stores and nobody carries it, it's all available for shipping but not pick up at the store.
Regarding the finishing sauce, the last time I made it I didn't realize in the recipe I was using had a finishing sauce I didn't make it because I didn't realize it until later and I didn't have all the ingredients at this point I don't feel like running out so the pork was good but I feel like it was definitely lacking that finishes so I'm more than likely going to try to finishing sauce this time around.
Thanks for the links.

Reactions: zwiller
I cook pork butts ahead about every cook I do. They reheat really well and nobody has a clue it didn't just come off the smoker (aside from me).
That's exactly what I've been wanting to hear and so far it seems like a few of you have mentioned that you can't even tell the difference.

Lots of suggestions, but the best is NOT putting the crock pot in the fridge and allowing ample time for the heating.
I smoke all my butts either over an aluminum pan (if I have a second shelf) or in an aluminum pan with bottom spacers. In the pan requires turning about 1/2 way through the smoke. I want to collect all the drippings. I don't defat the drippings. Fat is flavor and mouth feel moisture.
I rub with a very low salt and no sugar blend.
This is the last pork I did, so what you're saying is I have those grate underneath of my main cooking grates that are supposed to be used for charcoal but I've never used it for that as you can see I have a pain under there that I keep the water in for the moisture, are you saying I should put an aluminum pan directly underneath of the pork that's wide enough so it covers the entire pork so I get all of those drippings? Wouldn't that dry out eventually from being a long cook and having that heat on there just like eventually the water pan evaporates? Or are you saying actually put it inside of the aluminum pan while it's cooking and not directly on the grate?

Attachments

• IMG20230630114603.jpg
    IMG20230630114603.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 19
Here's another set up with a foil pan . Small rack inside the pan .
1693485028036.png
When it's done , I just chunk it up right in the pan . Get rid of anything unwanted , leave the drippings in the bottom , then cover with foil . Reheat in the oven .
1693485618161.png
I've also done vac sealed bags and a simmering pot of water . Both are equally good in my opinion .

View attachment 674897
When it's done , I just chunk it up right in the pan . Get rid of anything unwanted , leave the drippings in the bottom , then cover with foil . Reheat in the oven .
View attachment 674898
I've also done vac sealed bags and a simmering pot of water . Both are equally good in my opinion .
Easiest and cleanest way to do it.

Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks. I never shred/pull pork and just use a knife and make hunks. Grab some TonyC Injection from the store with the needle. Works a long time if you take care of it Broadcast needle (holes along length) with cajun injector works better and lasts much longer. I made up the injection based on his recipe from his book and lucky for you it's made it way onto the web... Nothing wrong with a rub but people mistakenly think it will make a big impact on the overall product, nope. Mostly a coloring agent and adds a little flavor to the bark. I didn't use rub on that run because I use it for different stuff like tacos so I wanted a blank canvas. It was mentioned already but seriously check out Chef JJ "finishing sauce". I put in quotes as I do not use it like that but rather as a vinegar based sauce option. Good luck!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/jjs-finishing-sauce-awesome.122319/
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/hog-injection-365433

I found a bottle of the TonyC with the injector, it's the creole style butter, is that good for pork?

Reactions: zwiller
View attachment 674897
View attachment 674898
That looks delicious! I have a rack that I use for my Turkey pan every Thanksgiving I'll have to see if the Rack fits in the 12 pack of aluminum pans I just bought today from Sam's club, hopefully it does

This is the last pork I did, so what you're saying is I have those grate underneath of my main cooking grates that are supposed to be used for charcoal but I've never used it for that as you can see I have a pain under there that I keep the water in for the moisture, are you saying I should put an aluminum pan directly underneath of the pork that's wide enough so it covers the entire pork so I get all of those drippings? Wouldn't that dry out eventually from being a long cook and having that heat on there just like eventually the water pan evaporates? Or are you saying actually put it inside of the aluminum pan while it's cooking and not directly on the grate?
Either

Chop showed the ease of smoking in the pan
When I get home I’ll post photos of improvised racks / stand offs I’ve used too

Reactions: DukeSilver22
View attachment 674897
View attachment 674898
Yep, I have reheated it both ways as well. If you're doing the foil pan oven/smoker reheat, just make sure you have some liquid in the bottom to keep it moist during the reheat. De-fatted drippings are best, but I have done it with a finishing sauce as the liquid, also.

Either

Chop showed the ease of smoking in the pan
When I get home I’ll post photos of improvised racks / stand offs I’ve used too
The rack I have that I usually use for my turkey goes over the pans that I bought from Sam's club today but I think it'll still work if I just put this over top of the aluminum pan. I'll attach the picture so you can see what I'm talking about. I just got done injecting it about a half an hour ago and putting the dry rub on because I want that dry rub on there too for that color and that bark and I'm sure it's going to add some extra flavor to it as well. I'm going to start sometime between 5:30 and 6:00 tomorrow morning. Already chopped my wood up earlier this afternoon, what I have on hand is oak and hickory.

Attachments

• 16935238721608393905902712698407.jpg
    16935238721608393905902712698407.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: zwiller and chopsaw
Heck if worse comes to worst you can reheat PP in a microwave oven on low and still have it come out pretty darn tasty. Good luck and good smoking.

Chris

That rack is ideal.
I cannot find my photos of my improvised racks of skewers wrapped in foil or a strip of cardboard wrapped in foil.
My favored method is to smoke the meat well (including flip) then foil wrap the pan and in the oven to finish.

Still going, unfortunately I got a later start that I wanted to, had a horrible night of sleep so I got up later than I wanted to. By the time I got it on the smoker it was about 7:30 a.m.
Here's the progress so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_071808.jpg
    IMG_20230901_071808.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG20230901104055.jpg
    IMG20230901104055.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20230901145817_01.jpg
    IMG20230901145817_01.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 16
Looks good from here.
You should be done by now. Don't remember if it was bone in, but that is usually an indicator of "done" when the bone pulls easily and clean
It finally reached the temperature I needed to pull it off of the smoker around 7:30pm yesterday. I got everything separated and ready to go in the crock pot later today. Just wanted to say thank you to everybody who helped me out with this I really appreciate it.

Now on to smoke the ribs

Attachments

• IMG20230901204532.jpg
    IMG20230901204532.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 14
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky