Favorite injection for pork butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The butts I can buy in my area (Hormel) from WinCo are pre-injected with a saline solution. No need to inject anything.

One store I rarely visit sells Farmer John All Natural butts. I have injected those with a salty solution of apple juice and seasonings, then let it sit covered in the fridge for 24-48 hours before smoking. I don't use vinegar in the injection because it can toughen the meat if left too long. I have used a salty solution of orange juice and seasonings but only let it sit in the fridge for 4-6 hours before smoking for the same reason. Acid is the culprit that can toughen the meat. This is VERY apparent with poultry if injected or marinated and left in the fridge overnight or longer. I used to do it for 24+ hours and stopped when I figured out why my chickens and turkeys were turning out tough.

Salt is what denatures the meat injected and allows it to absorb liquid. I've never tested it head-to-head, but an entire culture uses baking soda (alkaline) to tenderize meat. Caution is required though, so research ahead of use or you could quickly consume more than is safe throwing your body's PH out of balance.

Ray

I've always injected just prior to smoking, but with pork butts, they can take a higher temp. Jeff's 5 hour pork butt smokes at 300°, if I remember right.
My injection is usually apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and rub. But I have had success with using apple sauce or even grape jelly.

Reactions: zwiller
I've always injected just prior to smoking, but with pork butts, they can take a higher temp. Jeff's 5 hour pork butt smokes at 300°, if I remember right.
My injection is usually apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and rub. But I have had success with using apple sauce or even grape jelly.

You can't go wrong with just apple juice and salt.

Reactions: seenred
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky