Must have spices for your BBQ Cupboard

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevinwi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 8, 2014
Stevens Point, WI
Everyone has their favorite store bought rubs and sauces, but I thought it would be fun to create a MUST HAVE list of spices/ingredients to make YOUR OWN BBQ rubs and sauces. If you post something off the wall, put what you use it for if it's a must have.
I'll create a short list below and add to it with your must haves that are not already on the list in Alphabetical Order:

Basil
Chili Powder
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Honey
Ketchup
Lemon Juice
Molasses
Mustard Powder
Mustard - Yellow
Onion Powder
Oregano
Paprika - (favorite kinds?)
Paprika - Sweet
Paprika - Hot
Paprika - Smoked
Pepper - Black - Fine
Pepper - Black - Coarse
Pepper - White
Pepper - Cayenne
Pepper - Red Flakes
Rosemary
Salt - Kosher
Salt -Sea
Salt - Table
Soy Sauce
Sugar - lite Brown
Sugar - White
Vinegar - Apple Cider
Vinegar - White
Thyme
Worcestershire Sauce

Last edited:
Adding white pepper and mustard powder to your mix.

White pepper goes in many things, mustard powder in pork rub and now sausage making.

I'm a fan of just plain old paprika.

For corning beef or pork - pickling spice. I add extra mustard seed and coriander to my brine.

Dried minced onion and garlic - for when I absolutely don't feel like chopping onion or garlic. I actually prefer the 2 in meatloaf/meatballs/etc

EDIT: Vinegar (red and white) for doctoring up BBQ sauces or making my own.

Oregano! Hmm Mexican, Greek or Italian?
Coriander
Paprika. Well American crap, Spanish, Hungarian, or Mediterranean?
Coconut aminoes beat the salt out of soy sauce, fish sauce, or Tamari.
Marjoram
Thai chilies
Thai basil
Mediterranean basil
Cardamom
Nutmeg
Ginger
The previous posts covered most of the pepper varieties, I have yet to try long pepper
Mustard ground or whole white, yellow, or brown

That pretty much sums it up for me, although I do a brine for chickens and/or Turkey around the holidays that has whole cloves

Reactions: kevinwi
Man I think you all have it covered. The only thing I can add would be chipotle powder and ancho powder. We make a lot of Mexican style marinades and rubs. Lemon and lime and oranges for marinades.

Reactions: kevinwi
Spices are what can change an OK meal into a great meal. The more the better for sure.

As I have spent the last couple of years trying out different spices and learning what combinations suit my pallet the best I have acquired more than my wife would like to allow in the house.

This is one of two cabinets full of different spices. The other one has more of my home made varieties. I have always liked hot and/or strong flavors. The more I have been doing this the stronger my pallet has become to flavors.

spices.jpg

First the most important ingredient in any spice cupboard , salt! I usually have kosher, coarse and fine sea salt and pink Himalayan. Other than that in addition to what's already been mentioned I'll throw in sage , dill ,5 spice, gochugaru flakes, caraway, bay leaf, cinnamon , nutmeg, mace and yumeric. I think blends are essential to save time so I always have tandoori masala , Tikka masala poultry blend, Greek seasoning, Montreal steak , Cajun and curry blends. I know there are more so I may revisit this later. As mentioned previously MSG as well. Just added coarse urfa chili and asafatida which I'm looking forward to trying on something soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: texomakid
Salt and pepper, then at least 1 of everything else, wife's mad at me all the time for toting in more spices/rubs lol

Everyone has their favorite store bought rubs and sauces, but I thought it would be fun to create a MUST HAVE list of spices/ingredients to make YOUR OWN BBQ rubs and sauces. If you post something off the wall, put what you use it for if it's a must have.
I'll create a short list below and add to it with your must haves that are not already on the list in Alphabetical Order:

Basil
Chili Powder
Cumin
Dill Weed

Garlic Powder
Honey
Ketchup
Lemon Juice
Molasses
Mustard Powder
Mustard - Yellow
Onion Powder
Oregano
Paprika - Sweet
Paprika - Hot
Paprika - Smoked
Pepper - Black - Fine
Pepper - Black - Coarse
Pepper - White
Pepper - Cayenne
Pepper - Red Flakes
Rosemary
Salt - Kosher
Salt -Sea
Salt - Table
Soy Sauce
Sugar - lite Brown
Sugar - White
Vinegar - Apple Cider
Vinegar - White
Thyme
Worcestershire Sauce

Basil
Chili Powder
Cumin

Garlic Powder

Honey
Ketchup
Lemon Juice
Molasses
Mustard Powder
Mustard - Yellow
Onion Powder
Oregano
Paprika - Sweet
Paprika - Hot
Paprika - Smoked
Pepper - Black - Fine
Pepper - Black - Coarse
Pepper - White
Pepper - Cayenne
Pepper - Red Flakes
Rosemary
Salt - Kosher
Salt -Sea
Salt - Table
Soy Sauce
Sugar - lite Brown
Sugar - White
Vinegar - Apple Cider
Vinegar - White
Thyme
Worcestershire Sauce

Basil
Chili Powder
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Honey
Ketchup
Lemon Juice
Molasses
Mustard Powder
Mustard - Yellow
Onion Powder
Oregano
Paprika - Sweet
Paprika - Hot
Paprika - Smoked
Pepper - Black - Fine
Pepper - Black - Coarse
Pepper - White
Pepper - Cayenne
Pepper - Red Flakes
Rosemary
Salt - Kosher
Salt -Sea
Salt - Table
Soy Sauce
Sugar - lite Brown
Sugar - White
Vinegar - Apple Cider
Vinegar - White
Thyme
Worcestershire Sauce
I would add Dill Weed, nice flavor and fragrance that doesn't get the attention it deserves, lol .

Basil
Chili Powder
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Honey
Ketchup
Lemon Juice
Molasses
Mustard Powder
Mustard - Yellow
Onion Powder
Oregano
Paprika - Sweet
Paprika - Hot
Paprika - Smoked
Pepper - Black - Fine
Pepper - Black - Coarse
Pepper - White
Pepper - Cayenne
Pepper - Red Flakes
Rosemary
Salt - Kosher
Salt -Sea
Salt - Table
Soy Sauce
Sugar - lite Brown
Sugar - White
Vinegar - Apple Cider
Vinegar - White
Thyme
Worcestershire Sauce
All those spices look solid. I noticed all posters covering the rest.... I do have one to add that I believe is one of the better brisket spices.... Sumac ..... Its exceptional on brisket and beef.

All those spices look solid. I noticed all posters covering the rest.... I do have one to add that I believe is one of the better brisket spices.... Sumac ..... Its exceptional on brisket and beef.
Someone else mentioned sumac. Never heard of it as a spice....it is sort of an invasive bush around here with some poisonous.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky