Rub recipe conversion ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
I used this rib rub for years after I got my first WSM in 2002. My wife wants to revisit these ribs. Its from the book, Paul Kirks Championship Rubs and Sauces.

But this go around, I want to use 16 grain course black pepper and kosher salt. Sort've a real Texas rib rub .

I'm kinda at a loss, as to where to begin getting this in the right proportion .

Sugarless Texas Sprinkle Barbecue Rub

• 1/3 cup table salt
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 3 Tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 Tablespoon granulated garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon cayenne
Makes about 1 cup

Last edited:
I will add, that the Texas rib rub I've been using, is simple S/P and some paprika for color. And I've been doing 2 parts pepper to one part salt.

Seems to me the recipe above is salt heavy ?

I used this rib rub for years after I got my first WSM in 2002. My wife wants to revisit these ribs. Its from the book, Paul Kirks Championship Rubs and Sauces.

But this go around, I want to use 16 grain course black pepper and kosher salt. Sort've a real Texas rib rub .

I'm kinda at a loss, as to where to begin getting this in the right proportion .

• 1/3 cup table salt
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 1 Tablespoon cayenne
Makes about 1 cup
This is more a recipe for a seasoning than a rub, but if you flip flop the amounts for salt and pepper to be 1/3c black pepper and then 2Tbs salt you are in rub territory, I would also reduce the paprika to 1 or 2Tbs.

From Paul Kirk

Sugarless.jpg

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
All I’m saying is that 1/3c black pepper to 2Tbs salt is a common combination and works really well For a rub. Take that for what it’s worth.

Yeah, I think the salt to pepper ratio needs to be reversed. Needs 5 TBS of pepper to 3 TBS of salt.

That won't replicate the rub completely, but it comes closer to a true Texas rib rub, that I really enjoy.

Reactions: SmokinEdge

• 1/3 cup table salt
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 1 Tablespoon cayenne
Makes about 1 cup
beef ribs or pork ribs? No salt on my rib rubs.

Take 1/3 cup of table salt and weigh it on a gram scale....
Take 2 TBSP. ground Black Pepper and weigh it on a gram scale....

Write the weights down. Replace with the same weight kosher salt and 16 grain Black pepper.

There ya go.

That's why I'm a lifetime member on this site.

I've got the scale. And this will work.

Well, I scrapped my idea of subbing the Kosher and 16 mesh pepper.

When I weighed the 1/3 cup of table salt and then got an equal weight of Kosher, I had 3/4 cup of Kosher.

But two TBS of ground black pepper weighed almost the same as 2 TBS of 16 mesh. Go figure.

So I looked at the volume of salt to pepper and got cold feet, and just made the Sugarless Sprinkle with table salt and ground pepper.

Well, I scrapped my idea of subbing the Kosher and 16 mesh pepper.

When I weighed the 1/3 cup of table salt and then got an equal weight of Kosher, I had 3/4 cup of Kosher.

But two TBS of ground black pepper weighed almost the same as 2 TBS of 16 mesh. Go figure.

So I looked at the volume of salt to pepper and got cold feet, and just made the Sugarless Sprinkle with table salt and ground pepper.
Yup that what I first thought it would be. That’s why I suggested using 2Tbs of salt and more pepper. You will figure it out.

BTW, this rub is too salty. Funny, how we used this rub almost every rib cook for 10 years. Its been almost 10 years since we used it last and my wife say if we do it again, we're gonna use half the salt.

But really, I could probably scrap it all together and start with one part kosher salt, two parts 16 mesh pepper and then work in the other ingredients.

I mix 1 part kosher salt
2 parts 16 mesh black pepper
1 part garlic powder

and put a light dusting of lowery's season salt on the meat as

This has produced a fantastic bark on everything I cook. On Pork ribs my family thinks the 16 mesh is a little spicy so for them I use a regular pepper. I usually make one rack with 16 mesh and 1 with regular pepper. I will experiment with the other spices in this rub.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky