Pulled Jerk Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nlife

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2023
The wife and I really love jerk chicken and jerk pork. We have a recipe that we've been using for some time now. I even went so far as to get Scotch Bonnet seeds from the Ministry of Agriculture in Jamaica. While the wife prefers jerk chicken, my favorite is jerk pork. This go round I decided to try a pulled pork rather than cooking and slicing like we usually do.

The pork shoulder was marinated overnight in the sauce. Next day I pulled it and let it rest on the counter while I cleaned out the burn pot on my Traeger. Once all was said and done, the roast went onto a preheated grill.

20240317_132309.jpg

Give it more than a few hours of smoke (7ish or so) and it's looking good.

20240317_190621.jpg

It was getting later in the evening so and the IT was still hovering around 150ish, so I pulled it off the grill and put it in a brownie pan. I added the reserved sauce to it, covered it and set the oven to 250f to finish. I pulled it at an IT of 200f and let it rest covered.

20240317_230652.jpg

I could have probably left it to hit 205f since I had a few pieces that weren't as easy to pull as others. I added the meat to the juice and covered it before going to bed.

The next day jerk pork sammies were on the menu! Chop up some onion, yellow, red and orange bell pepper. give them a quick saute in olive oil and sprinkled with pepper.

20240318_130433.jpg

20240318_131846.jpg

Lightly toasted the hoagie roll and melted some cheese. Pile it high with pulled pork and veg.

20240318_133605.jpg

Close it up, give it a slice so you have somewhere to start the first bite and have at 'er!

20240318_133730.jpg

Yum, wonder if I could use that pork in a cubano sandwich (would just add some sour orange to the marinade)....

Looks excellent, making me hungry for dinner!

Reactions: nlife
Man that's a great lookin sammich, there. I'm a fan of jerk myself and with the pork, looks delicious

The wife and I really love jerk chicken and jerk pork. We have a recipe that we've been using for some time now. I even went so far as to get Scotch Bonnet seeds from the Ministry of Agriculture in Jamaica. While the wife prefers jerk chicken, my favorite is jerk pork. This go round I decided to try a pulled pork rather than cooking and slicing like we usually do.

The pork shoulder was marinated overnight in the sauce. Next day I pulled it and let it rest on the counter while I cleaned out the burn pot on my Traeger. Once all was said and done, the roast went onto a preheated grill.

View attachment 691983

View attachment 691981

It was getting later in the evening so and the IT was still hovering around 150ish, so I pulled it off the grill and put it in a brownie pan. I added the reserved sauce to it, covered it and set the oven to 250f to finish. I pulled it at an IT of 200f and let it rest covered.

View attachment 691982

I could have probably left it to hit 205f since I had a few pieces that weren't as easy to pull as others. I added the meat to the juice and covered it before going to bed.

The next day jerk pork sammies were on the menu! Chop up some onion, yellow, red and orange bell pepper. give them a quick saute in olive oil and sprinkled with pepper.

View attachment 691984

View attachment 691985

Lightly toasted the hoagie roll and melted some cheese. Pile it high with pulled pork and veg.

View attachment 691986
Close it up, give it a slice so you have somewhere to start the first bite and have at 'er!

View attachment 691987
I'd buy that for sure.

Looks good!

I've purchased Pimento Wood online and was able to use the "proper" wood for a Jerk Pork Shoulder. Whenever I run out of Pimento wood for a low smoke, I use Pimento Seeds (All-Spice Berries) on my coals in a Pit Barrel.

View attachment 691983

View attachment 691981

View attachment 691982

The next day jerk pork sammies were on the menu! Chop up some onion, yellow, red and orange bell pepper Commercial Fencing Experts. give them a quick saute in olive oil and sprinkled with pepper.

View attachment 691984

View attachment 691985

View attachment 691986

View attachment 691987
I've made jerk pork a couple of times, both times were direct cooks, intended for slicing, not pulling. I'm interested in using a wet jerk marinade for a low 'n slow butt for pulling.

Any experiences with using a wet marinade for pulled pork?

How does it affect the bark?

Because of the very long cooking time (long time with the interior of the butt in the "danger zone"), I assume that I should not use the traditional "jooking" technique of poking holes in the meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky