does putting rub on the outside of a pork butt stop any of the smoke flavor from entering the meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
According to Aaron Franklin a heavy coating does.
He just used S&P.
I don't have a stick burner, so I can't really say.

does putting rub on the outside of a pork butt stop any of the smoke flavor from entering the meat
I’ve done ‘little bit’ of rub and ‘plentiful’ of rub…..and I can’t tell any difference in the smoke. However, i did like the ‘plentiful’ rub better. More flavor.

I definitely go heavy on the rub and still get good smoke.
1000002282.jpg

I have made a few and gone pretty heavy on my rubs. Some with more of a Mexican flavor profile for tacos and a couple for just pulled pork BBQ style. All have had a good smokey flavor. I am using an offset so I can't comment on other types of smokers.

I get similar results. That looks great, btw.
Thanks, just seemed like to me it would make it harder to penetrate the meat, but i can see from your picture that it came out fantastic. I just wanted to make sure and i will try that the next time.
thanks again

I have made a few and gone pretty heavy on my rubs. Some with more of a Mexican flavor profile for tacos and a couple for just pulled pork BBQ style. All have had a good smokey flavor. I am using an offset so I can't comment on other types of smokers.
hmmm, i never thought of going for a mexican flavor rub, gotta try that

Reactions: Redicans
Agree with this 100% Butts are big, I have never felt like there was too much rub. I go heavy as well. I usually do the boneless 2 packs from Costco - let it open up and rub the inside as well before tying it back together with twine.
Exactly what I too do with the Costco boneless butts.
Gotta truss them up tight to make them cook like solid hunk of meat.

I also season heavily and bone-in butts I'll make a slice half way thru to get more smoke/seasoning in the meat. Adds more bark to the overall pull.

eDAxmxR.jpg

The heaviest and finest grain of rub I use is when I make pulled pork for carnitas. I even score the roast to hold more rub. That said, it's a debate on how deep smoke flavor actually penetrates into the meat. We do know the surface and some degree of subsurface meat takes on a smoky flavor. And this is why we mix in some of the bark with the pulled meat. But if you sample meat from dead center of a pork butt, it's not that smoky.

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky