And The Leftovers Throwdown Winners Are.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We were thrilled to finish second in the judges voting! Thanks to the committee who put this together, to everyone who donated a prize, to the voters, and to TulsaJeff TulsaJeff for hosting the forum.

I won't start a separate thread describing my entry, since I'm missing a number of key photos of the preparation. Here is a different perspective on the final plate:
IMG_3628.jpeg
We had pre-gamed a thanksgiving meal before the holiday, for some friends who wouldn't be with us for the turkey and trimmings on Thanksgiving. I smoked a cherry-glazed rib roast using the recipe from Jeff's "Smoking Meat-The Essential Guide to Real Barbecue" cookbook. We had some left over, so for my entry I cubed a bit of it and served on toothpicks with a topping of very hot horseradish sauce.
IMG_3566 2.JPG
I also made sausage-stuffed mushrooms following the recipe Jeff had emailed out as part of a smoked appetizer collection. The few that were left over also became part of the plate.

I had also smoked a pan of olives, coated with garlic and spices.
IMG_3556.JPG
Forty-five minutes was plenty to give the smokiness I wanted. They were great as a standalone appetizer, but I had the idea to use some of the green olives (wiped clean of excess oil, garlic, and spices) in a martini as part of my entry. They imparted a wonderful, subtle smokiness to the drink.

I sliced some of our leftover baked sweet potatoes, but wasn't happy with the appearance, so I used a small drinking glass to cut medallions out of the center of each slice, topping all with a scoop of the brown sugar compound butter we had served with them on Thanksgiving.

The cranberry sauce beneath the croquettes was homemade, but what I really feel makes my version stand out is a healthy amount of both fresh grated ginger and orange zest. They really make the flavors pop.

The Day After Thanksgiving Croquettes were my wife's brilliant idea...I'd have never thought of it, and they were so, so very good. We diced some of our leftover turkey and formed meatballs by mixing in leftover stuffing. We settled on 'our' stuffing recipe years ago...it starts with the bread, spices, and sauted celery and onion one would expect. It also contains pecans, dried cranberries, dried apricots, and fried andouille sausage. The 'other' ingredients make up the bulk of the stuffing...by weight, only about 1/3 of it is bread. The turkey/stuffing balls were then coated in beaten egg, rolled in panko breadcrumbs-repeating twice, to build up a thicker coating. Then they were pan fried in about an inch of oil, rolling them around constantly for maybe 8 minutes until the outside was crisp.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Just a huge THANK YOU to CertifiedPiedmontese CertifiedPiedmontese for being a sponsor of the Throwdowns! Their sponsor prize arrived today......talk about top shelf!!!!! My wife looked at me with huge eyes as I was laying this out on the counter and said "what on earth did you do to get all this".

cpb-td.jpg

I also want to thank the committee again and TulsaJeff TulsaJeff for the forum and opportunities/benefits the forum provides for us members!

Just a huge THANK YOU to CertifiedPiedmontese CertifiedPiedmontese for being a sponsor of the Throwdowns! Their sponsor prize arrived today......talk about top shelf!!!!! My wife looked at me with huge eyes as I was laying this out on the counter and said "what on earth did you do to get all this".

View attachment 685306

I also want to thank the committee again and TulsaJeff TulsaJeff for the forum and opportunities/benefits the forum provides for us members!
Congrats! That makes me want to step up my my TD game lol! Nice spread right there bud!

View attachment 685306

Nice haul!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky