...and the Labor Day throw-down winners are!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Folks, let me be brutally honest with you. This had to be the toughest throw-down we've had to date. From the overall quality and quantity of the entries To the difficult behind the scenes discussions Robert ( tx smoker tx smoker ) and I had trying to determine the winners. It was an immense undertaking and I'd like to thank all who participated, the unsung judging committee, the voters, the sponsors, and most of all the SMF administration team for letting us put these competitions on.

So without further ado we are proud to announce the winning recipients of the 2023 SMF Labor Day Throw-down.

First up, Let me congratulate David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ). His entry of Smoked and Braised Oxtail not only won our forum poll, but it also won over the hearts of our judging committee. Congratulations David on winning both categories.

Unfortunately for David. The SMF throw-down bylaws state that a contestant cannot win both, and if a contestant is proclaimed the winner of both categories. Then that contestant is automatically deemed the winner of the judges committee vote.

So to make a long story short. David for your efforts. You have won the CPB prize package. Please reach out to Robert for arrangements on claiming your prize.

Congratulations David well deserved:
1695819464969.png

The second place winner in the judges vote goes to Ishi Ishi for his smoked beef shanks and beans entry. Ishi will receive the four probe ink-bird thermometer offered up by our very own Robert. Congratulation ishi on a beautiful plate, and please get in touch with Robert for your prize.

Congratulations ishi:
1695820097844.png

Now the winner of the special judges choice award goes to Keith ( indaswamp indaswamp ) and his entry of Venison and Wild hog braciole fatty . Keith will take home the fermented hot sauce package provided by Jeff ( jcam222 jcam222 ) and the cast iron skillet donated by Steve ( Steve H Steve H ).

Congratulations Keith:
1695820579195.png

Now onto the winner of our forum poll. This is where it got a little tricky. With David garnering the most votes in both the forum poll and judges voting. He was automatically declared the winner of the judges voting. The SMF throw-down bylaws then state that the entry who receives the second most votes in the forum poll is declared the winner of the forum poll. Now, since we have a tie for second place. The bylaws then state that a third party will blindly choose the winning dish(confused yet) of the forum poll.

Well we're proud to announce that West Coast Chris aka Chris_in_SoCal Chris_in_SoCal is the winner of the forum poll with his entry of Skewered picanha. Chris has won the Porter Road gift card. Please contact TulsaJeff TulsaJeff for arrangements.

Congratulations Chris:
1695821764907.png

Our last but not least by any means winning entry is for second place in the forum poll, and it is with great privilege to announce that honor goes to SmokingUPnorth SmokingUPnorth for his entry of Firehouse quarters!!! Congratulations and your prize consists of one of the three items that Robert offered from amazon. Please contact Robert for details.

Congratulations Smoking!!!

1695822665523.png

This throw-down was a real challenge from beginning to end, but it was also one of the more exciting throw-downs we've had. Thanks again it was a pleasure for both Robert and I put on, and we're so very sorry for some of the bumps in the road we experienced.

Special note: To all that won prizes. The whole SMF family would love to see what you do with your winnings. We'd really appreciate it if you made their mention in a future thread. That way we'd all get to enjoy them.

Thanks again

Chris

P.S. Boy I hope I didn't make any mistakes.

Thanks to all that worked to make this happen. Lots of great entries.

A great group of winners! And I, for one, am glad I got passed over to be on that committee. :emoji_laughing:
I'm sure the phone and internet lines were smoking discussing this one. A big THANK YOU to the members that worked so hard to put this one on.

Now lets get those cooks posted up, I gotta expand my "to do" list by a few more.

Jim

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Great entry's all around! It was tough to pick one. Great job done by all involved. Huge congratulations to the winners.

Reactions: JLeonard
So many delicious looking entries, congratulations to the winners! What a great looking set of meals.

Congrats to all the winners and those that entered! I had Davids's name all over that oxtail the second I saw it.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Congratulations to all the winners, and to all that entered... you all did an excellent job! Look forward to seeing more about the entries.

Ryan

Congratulations to all winners, excellent entries. Big hat tip to all behind the scenes that made this happen. gmc2003 gmc2003 and tx smoker tx smoker great job, I know you have a lot on your collective plates in real life so your efforts here are much appreciated.

Reactions: 02ebz06
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky