Chili, Soup, And Stew Throwdown: It's Time To Vote

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What's Your Favorite Chili, Soup, Or Stew?

• #1) "Smoked oxtail soup, with Piedmontese stew beef, carrots, celery, potatoes and sweet corn

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • #2) Belgian Beer-Cheese Soup With Fresh Smoked Sausage In A Homemade Pretzel Bread Bowl

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • #3) This is a simple chicken noodle soup made from the leftover meat and bones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #4) Here is my Ham and Beans entry.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #5) Double soup black garlic oil miso ramen with homemade noodles

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • #6) Tonkotsu Ramen with smoker-braised Pork Chashu and Shoyu Tare

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • #7) Hearty Italian Sausage & Peppers soup with Garlic Rosemary Parm Biscuits

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • #8) It’s Mardi Gras! Presented here is a hearty hickory-smoked chicken and andouille gumbo

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • #9) Smoked chicken soup with homemade bread

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • #10) Mexican chicken stew, has chicken, black beans, and corn

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • #11) Made up a batch of Chili for Super Bowl Sunday and it timed right for the TD

• #12) Smoked Beef Chuck Bourbon Thyme Stew & Garlic Toast.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • #13) Bacon potato chowder with lil smokies.

• #14) Smoked And Cast Iron Cooked Elk Burger Taco Soup!

• #15) Ground Vegetable Soup with Smoked Chuck

• #16) Pizza soup in a homemade bread bowl.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • #17) Colorado style, Pueblo pork green chili.

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Come on a day or two? You would think you judges have real jobs and family to attend too....lol
Those will be the first two questions for the next set of judges we interview.

1. Do you work fulltime?
2. Do you have immediate family living with you that will interfere with you judicial duties?

Your vote could win an entrant one of these from the forum poll sponsor …..this little guy will be dinner!
IMG_7679.jpeg

IMG_7678.jpeg

Time is quickly running out folks. Let's show our extended family some suport.

Voting ends tomorrow morning. It only takes two clicks of your mouse.

Chris

Most likely because most people don't give a rip about a food "looks" contest.
I had to get past the thought of voting myself.
A food "looks" contest really makes no sense if you aren't into fancy plating, which I am not, and never will be. This is the main reason I don't like French food, the plating is way too orchestrated/ bougie for me, and I'm not paying top dollar for pretty plates of food.

Just my opinion on why more people don't really care about voting these contests.

Reactions: BandCollector
A food "looks" contest really makes no sense if you aren't into fancy plating, which I am not, and never will be. This is the main reason I don't like French food, the plating is way too orchestrated/ bougie for me, and I'm not paying top dollar for pretty plates of food.

Just my opinion on why more people don't really care about voting these contests.
We all eat with our senses first, with our eyes, and nose. If it doesn't look good almost everyone won't even try something.
But this and every throwdown is about having fun and throwing in a little friendly competition. These members that have entered should get some support as well as the sponsors that are giving out some great prizes.
Besides all the help people get with questions on " how tos" and food safety, I think this site is pretty much based on a food "looks" principle.

Ryan

We all eat with our senses first, with our eyes, and nose. If it doesn't look good almost everyone won't even try something.
But this and every throwdown is about having fun and throwing in a little friendly competition. These members that have entered should get some support as well as the sponsors that are giving out some great prizes.
Besides all the help people get with questions on " how tos" and food safety, I think this site is pretty much based on a food "looks" principle.

Ryan
Im gonna have to agree with Ryan here. Yeah it may be a "looks" contest, but for the most part its all in fun. And generally its things that the majority of us usually cook anyway. If you dont want to vote or even look at the entries.....scroll on by. But thats my opinion......And well you know what they say about opinions and a-holes....

Jim

It isn't all looks. Consider the creativity that goes into dishes that have been presented in this, as well as past (and future) throwdowns. Presentation may play a big part, but you have to first come up with something within the theme worth presenting.

Just some perspective….. it’s only a looks contest if members vote on looks alone…..many vote deeper than that…..

Next is only 1/3 of the TD is the forum member poll voting. The other 2/3’rds are the winner of the committee vote (there are defined criteria they use to vote) and the member at large choice (the member is free to choose freely to what that member deserves to be awarded)….. ie the committee and member at large do not choose on presentation alone.

Our sponsors support the forum and it’s a huge statement to share of their products so we can enjoy cooking and sharing them with the forum with a little more exposure than a simple post or feature.

I know participating in the TDs has really pushed me to share and have been inspiring to see what others come up with…..

Last edited:
I'm gonna agree with civilsmoker civilsmoker here....I know I said looks earlier, but that was in agreement with Brokenhandle Brokenhandle statement of "eating with eyes first". I will tell ya, just 'looking" at what a lot of y'all, yeah even you forktender forktender , post pushes me to up my game. No I may not have the plating skills of some, But my posts arent quite what my son would call "prison food" either.
And as far as the TD's goes....I'll keep entering when I can. Heck IF I get a vote (other than my own) its a great day. And usually me and other folks are getting a decent meal out of it...So a win!

Jim

Ryan
Ryan, I completely get it, I was just throwing out why more people may not be interested in voting. I don't think it's laziness, but then again, who knows?

Im gonna have to agree with Ryan here. Yeah it may be a "looks" contest, but for the most part its all in fun. And generally its things that the majority of us usually cook anyway. If you dont want to vote or even look at the entries.....scroll on by. But thats my opinion......And well you know what they say about opinions and a-holes....

Jim
Read my response to Ryan's post, so I don't have to repeat myself.

Reactions: JLeonard
Well here I go.

I love the TD's. It is a lot of fun . and it is not just willi nilli for me when I enter. I really try to think outside the box as many of the other folks do that enter.
Like said above it kind of is a looks thing for part of it . But that is only the member votes. When I do not enter I do not just vote for the pretty plate , I look at the labour , thought and the time it must have taken to build the meal ( or as we see it the picture )

I have learned a lot from lots of folks here , and the throwdowns make me work harder. Then there is also the Judges votes, they really pick apart your plates for many reasons .

Then also is the people and sponsors that help support this forum, with their hard earned products that they donate to this fun contest.
And that is what it is a fun contest for free. ( not counting the cost of what you are making ,of coarse )

So I for one do not think it is that hard to support the folks that enter, with just a look and a click. It is that easy.

I will not say more as I like it here , and do not want to be removed .

Everyone has a reason to vote or not, BUT come on it is all in good fun.
We all seem to enjoy the pictures and the process of our regular posts , so whey is this so different.

This is not just a FOOD LOOKS CONTEST. It's a group of friendly folks having a fun contest.

Done now, David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky