Throwdown entry: Pizza soup in a homemade bread bowl

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
My entry kinda came about by surprise, even to me! I knew I wanted to participate, and I knew I wanted to make and serve it in a bread bowl. We had recently made cheddar and broccoli soup so that was out. So Saturday, February 17th rolls around, hhhmmm... running out of time. Looking online, pictures of soup, recipes for soup... nothing grabs my attention. Suddenly I thought... look up pizza soup, cuz that's not a thing. Well, I'll be darned... it's a thing! Next, find a recipe for the bread bowls, as I've never made these before. I'll post the recipes at the end. The bread bowl recipe I followed, the pizza soup was a guideline.
So get all the ingredients mixed up, in an oiled bowl to rise... love this part!

20240217_183142.jpg

Punch down, then form into balls

20240217_192156.jpg

Let rise again

20240217_204303.jpg

Sprinkled three with Italian seasoning, cuz, why not. Brushed them with an egg wash beforehand and into a 400 degree oven, 25 to 30 minutes.

Not bad for a first try!

20240217_211944.jpg

Being as I wasn't prepared, I had to run to the grocery store while the bread bowls were rising as it was almost 7:30 pm and our local small town store closes at 8 and I didn't have all the ingredients. Bread bowls came out of the oven at 9:18 pm.

Time for soup.
My ingredients I used...
1/2 lb homemade Italian sausage
1/2 lb hamburger
Bacon ends and pieces (previously fried)
6 oz Hormel Pepperoni
1/2 yellow onion
Baby Bella mushrooms
Minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt & pepper each
1 tsp oregano
Crushed red pepper flakes
15 oz diced tomatoes - not drained
15 oz can tomato sauce
5 cups chicken or beef broth ( I used 1 cup beef, & 4 cups chicken)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

Little oil in pot, then onions, mushrooms, and minced garlic in to soften.

20240217_230835.jpg

The amount of mushrooms I used to give an idea... use more or less to your liking.

20240217_224512.jpg

Next, in goes the hamburger and sweet Italian sausage to be browned. Once that's browned add in the diced pepperoni and rest of the ingredients except the basil and parmesan cheese. Bring the soup to a gentle boil then reduce heat and simmer to thicken. Add the basil and parmesan cheese now and stir in.

20240217_232336.jpg

Didn't take any pics but I took one of my breadbowls and sliced up, and made crostini to serve with my soup.
Cut the lid off the bread bowl, dig out the insides ( some poor guy has to eat this... poor me!). Filled the bowls with soup, top with fresh mozzarella and cheddar cheese and place under broiler to melt the cheese... and hopefully not burn the bread bowls!
Finally, ask your loving wife to make your needed soup codeword out of the last 4 slices of pepperoni!

One more pic of several that were taken to get the best one!

20240218_170912.jpg

Couple messy pics while eating... ended up with bread rings as I ate the bottoms out of the bowls... but thick enough soup to not leak all over.

20240220_120411.jpg

20240220_120943.jpg

Not near as elegant as some of the entries but was darn fun making and even better eating! And would be very easy to customize to your own tastes! Now if someone could make a bread bowl with the consistency of a deep dish or pan pizza... well I think that would be awesome!

As stated, the recipes I went off of...

20240301_110816.jpg

20240301_113143.jpg

If ya decide to make it, post up your results... I loved it!

Ryan

Nicely done! It got my vote for originality since I had never seen nor heard of "pizza" soup. The bread bowl was an added plus for sure.
Thanks Doug! Think that's why I enjoyed it so much... two firsts, was fun to make and delicious!

Man I loved it in the TD and really love it now! I wish I would have thought about the bread bowls for mine!

Jim
Thanks Jim! Give them a try sometime, and you can make the soup to your liking... think Bryce will love it!

Very nice, definitely unique. And one I want to try for sure. Great entry.
Thank you! Give it a try... it's a great new find for me as well!

Ryan

Reactions: JLinza and DougE
Loved it Ryan , right from the start. and as Doug said . Outside the box and different enough for me to really love it. But you had some stiff competition.
But for out of the norm, you had me .
Don't you love it when you want something that you are craving and you just don't have all the items , off to the store again. lol

David

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Outstanding quarterback scramble.
I considered entering this throw down and bread bowl was first on my list.
Never got any further than bread bowl as I couldn't think of any over the top soup.
I use to make bread bowls for Wednesday evening church Lenten soup supper.
Cold proof overnight or three to get more flavor.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Loved it Ryan , right from the start. and as Doug said . Outside the box and different enough for me to really love it. But you had some stiff competition.
But for out of the norm, you had me .
Don't you love it when you want something that you are craving and you just don't have all the items , off to the store again. lol

David
Thanks David! This was the funnest one I've done... not because of my prize but just fun... like imagining something and when finished turned out perfect!

Outstanding quarterback scramble.
I considered entering this throw down and bread bowl was first on my list.
Never got any further than bread bowl as I couldn't think of any over the top soup.
I use to make bread bowls for Wednesday evening church Lenten soup supper.
Cold proof overnight or three to get more flavor.
Thank you! And yes, I was stuck at bread bowl for awhile... thankfully my childhood brain kicked in and helped me out!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That entry really took me by surprise, its over the top and looks delicious!

Dave
Thanks Dave! It was really good, and just as good as leftovers.

Ryan that looks and sounds just terrific! Nice step-by-step...and congrats on the TD win - well deserved!

Red
Thank you Red! The pups quite effective at helping with dishes!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky