Chili, Soup, And Stew Throwdown: It's Time To Vote

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What's Your Favorite Chili, Soup, Or Stew?

• #1) "Smoked oxtail soup, with Piedmontese stew beef, carrots, celery, potatoes and sweet corn

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • #2) Belgian Beer-Cheese Soup With Fresh Smoked Sausage In A Homemade Pretzel Bread Bowl

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • #3) This is a simple chicken noodle soup made from the leftover meat and bones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #4) Here is my Ham and Beans entry.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #5) Double soup black garlic oil miso ramen with homemade noodles

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • #6) Tonkotsu Ramen with smoker-braised Pork Chashu and Shoyu Tare

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • #7) Hearty Italian Sausage & Peppers soup with Garlic Rosemary Parm Biscuits

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • #8) It’s Mardi Gras! Presented here is a hearty hickory-smoked chicken and andouille gumbo

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • #9) Smoked chicken soup with homemade bread

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • #10) Mexican chicken stew, has chicken, black beans, and corn

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • #11) Made up a batch of Chili for Super Bowl Sunday and it timed right for the TD

• #12) Smoked Beef Chuck Bourbon Thyme Stew & Garlic Toast.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • #13) Bacon potato chowder with lil smokies.

• #14) Smoked And Cast Iron Cooked Elk Burger Taco Soup!

• #15) Ground Vegetable Soup with Smoked Chuck

• #16) Pizza soup in a homemade bread bowl.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • #17) Colorado style, Pueblo pork green chili.

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This is a great idea Jeff. Thanks so much for bringing it up. I can set it up so that people who voted for each entry can be seen. What I'd likely do is keep that hidden until all voting is done then change the parameters so the voters are visible. I'd need to discuss this with Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) and get his thoughts. Not sure if there could be possible negative repercussions with the forum members knowing who voted for which entry. It would be a bit cumbersome writing down every person who voted, putting them into a hat, and drawing a name but certainly doable. It would also require either an additional sponsor or a redistribution of the current prizes to have the door prize available. Nothing that can't be overcome but would take some thought if it's initiated....but still a great idea.

Robert
I'm not in favor of showing who voted for what dish. Even thou we are a friendly bunch. I can see this going south in some instances quickly.

Pay to play is interesting, and a week ago I mentioned to Robert that I had a couple of ideas to improve forum participation. This is similar to one of my thoughts. A couple of my biggest fears is one - sustainability. Can we garner up the added prize for this, and how could we fairly choose who won. I was also thinking that we would need to hit some plateau for this to take effect. Say 100 voters.

Chris

Reactions: jcam222
I'm not in favor of showing who voted for what dish. Even thou we are a friendly bunch. I can see this going south in some instances quickly.

Pay to play is interesting, and a week ago I mentioned to Robert that I had a couple of ideas to improve forum participation. This is similar to one of my thoughts. A couple of my biggest fears is one - sustainability. Can we garner up the added prize for this, and how could we fairly choose who won. I was also thinking that we would need to hit some plateau for this to take effect. Say 100 voters.

Chris
If you can keep the list of voters hidden to public the idea I had as far as being fair is simply a blind drawing to include both voters and all entrants who didn't win a prize. I really think this would drive even more entries along with more votes. Relative to all the ideas around recipes / step by steps etc in advance I'll offer my humble opinion we would be creating a monster to cater to something that most folks don't see as an issue. No disrespect intended just how I see it.

Reactions: gmc2003
If you can keep the list of voters hidden to public the idea I had as far as being fair is simply a blind drawing to include both voters and all entrants who didn't win a prize
I don't think this is possible. If I remember correctly the poll creator can't see who voted w/o opening it up to those who actually voted. I may be wrong. It's been about a year since I've set up TD polling thread. We'll have to wait until ( tx smoker tx smoker ) chimes in.

Relative to all the ideas around recipes / step by steps etc in advance I'll offer my humble opinion we would be creating a monster to cater to something that most folks don't see as an issue. No disrespect intended just how I see it.
A lot more work/fustrations in the beginning until we get things ironed out, but once we get a TD or two under our belt it wouldn't be as bad as it sounds. Now for the committee judges it would take a little more time to go thru all the entries. Especially if we get 17+ entries. Anyway it was just a thought I had. Robert and I are always discussing how we can improve the TDs. I envision it as a living contest. Always growing and improving.

Chris

gmc2003 gmc2003 don't get me wrong, I think your idea is good. I just question if all the extra work on the judges and voters would be worth the effort. I have to wonder how many voters would take the time to fully review all the entries prior to voting. I think you know me well enough to know I will always participate in some capacity whatever direction the throwdowns take! On a side note here is what I'll be working with from Porter Road. Super pumped to try these cuts I've never cooked nor even seen available near me.
Screenshot_20240228-102516.png

gmc2003 gmc2003 don't get me wrong, I think your idea is good. I just question if all the extra work on the judges and voters would be worth the effort. I have to wonder how many voters would take the time to fully review all the entries prior to voting. I think you know me well enough to know I will always participate in some capacity whatever direction the throwdowns take!
I've pondered that also. It's something that will have to be discussed amongst all concerning parties, and I've never doubted your support.

Boy that order didn't take long. Enjoy it looks great.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky