What size casing for the Kithcen Aid stuffer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stevebell

Original poster
May 29, 2011
Denver Colorado
I know its not awesome but this is my first go making some andouille.  I got the kitchen aid stuffer and want to try it to see if I like making sausage before I purchase a dedicated stuffer. 

What size casing do I use with the larger of the two tubes.

I used the 32/35mm.  They work great.  I ordered from butcher packer.

I have been using the kitchen aid for several years.. I did just get a 15lb LEM stuffer.. Highly recommend that one if you decide you like sausage making.  Also, if the first time doesn't go well don't be discouraged.  It took several tries and different recipes before I got the hang of it. 

Aaron.

Steve you can't go wrong with the KitchenAid set-up. That's what I used for a number of years when I was only making 15-20 pounds of sausage a year. Now that I'm making that much sausage in an average month, I have a dedicated grinder and a vertical stuffer and still use the KA for experimental batches.

How hard is it too make the links?  I have read up a bunch and it all just assumes on the part of twisting the sasage into smaller links that you know how to do this.  Is it really as simple as just twisting it a few times to break it up from one huge long link as you are stuffing it?  Am I over thinking this part of it. 

Smoking is going to be on a WSM 18.5 with ice in some cheap throw away pans above the sasauge.

Hey Steve,I too have the KA stuffer attachment, and like you, wanted to see how difficult making sausage was. It's not hard at all and the taste is WAY better then store bought. On 3 seperate occasions I made hot italian sausage using that KA sausage stuffer and I decided It is  a major pain in the a$$ to use.The pluncher isnt a good fit and the meat squirts up instead of down thru the worm mechanism. I contacted KA and they do not have a replacement plunger and they recommend using "pinches of meat" slowly.It still sucked. I liked making sausage so Im saving up to buy a dedicated stuffer machine.I'll probably go with the LEM 5 pounder version.Goodluck, and let us know how it goes.

How hard is it too make the links?  I have read up a bunch and it all just assumes on the part of twisting the sasage into smaller links that you know how to do this.  Is it really as simple as just twisting it a few times to break it up from one huge long link as you are stuffing it?  Am I over thinking this part of it. 
Exactly, Steve. Making links isn't that hard once you figure it out.

You can check out You Tube for some videos, or in the search feature at the top of the page type in "Twisting Links"

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/116144/twisting-brats

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky