Your PS Seasonings Experience

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Florida Chris

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 22, 2023
I've been building my sausage making arsenal. Grinder, stuffer, smoker, etc. I think I'm ready to jump in and actually use the equipment and try my hand at sausage making.

I started looking at buying some seasonings and supplies from PS. The common theme with the negative complaints seems to be shipping times. What's your experience with them?

There's lots of options out there, and many have VERY positive ratings on taste. I went with PS first because they seem reputable, good reviews on flavor, one-stop-shop, and their website is pretty easy to navigate.

I'm looking to start with pre-made seasonings just so I can work on technique with one less variable. Once I get the basics down I'll go full on and make from scratch.

Any thoughts, comments, and reviews are greatly appreciated!

I've not tried PS... I've used TSM (sausage maker) and Owens BBQ ( mossymo mossymo )... Lately it's been pretty much Owens... They have some good choices and the shipping is quick....
And they are members here... Not sure if they moved up to being a sponser yet...

I started out making and mixing my own seasonings. Once I'd bought my Pro 100 smoker I had cause to visit their website, they make them, and decided to try their Italian 260-B season. I mix it with cabernet and garlic, the reviews from friends and family were off the charts, been using only their stuff for over 15 years now. Seasonings tend to go stale after a time in the pantry, I like that this always has great flavor and that the flavor is repeatable. Really like the maple breakfast sausage mix too, flavor comes thru. RAY

As a side note. PS makes a lot of the Cabelas line of sausage mixes. So that’s another option for some of the flavors, but certainly nowhere close to what PS has available.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I've been building my sausage making arsenal. Grinder, stuffer, smoker, etc. I think I'm ready to jump in and actually use the equipment and try my hand at sausage making.

I started looking at buying some seasonings and supplies from PS. The common theme with the negative complaints seems to be shipping times. What's your experience with them?

There's lots of options out there, and many have VERY positive ratings on taste. I went with PS first because they seem reputable, good reviews on flavor, one-stop-shop, and their website is pretty easy to navigate.

I'm looking to start with pre-made seasonings just so I can work on technique with one less variable. Once I get the basics down I'll go full on and make from scratch.

I think I have you covered.

I have never used PS seasonings but I have found it completely true that store bought seasonings are never really accurate with their measurements and from the website seasoning directions, it seems PS will not be any different lol.
For one they always go by volume (teaspoons, tablespoons, etc.).

I do a little math (I hope you are ok with doing that) and figure out how much it might actually need per pound instead of what they claim per their by volume instructions.

So PS gives you enough seasoning to do 25 pounds of sausage.

1. I would take their seasoning weight and divide by 25 to find the weight of the seasoning per pound of sausge
  2. THEN, mix up 1 pound of sausage with that amount you just calculated and weighed out and do a fry test
    • If too salty then reduce seasoning by about 5-10% (5% if a little too salty, 10% if worse) and mix up a separate pound of meat with that amount and fry test again
    • If too bland then add a little more seasoning like 2-5% more (5% if way bland, 2% if just a little bland but not clos enough).
  3. Repeat that until you get to the point where you are like "ok it could use maybe a little bit more seasoning" and THAT is when you do NOT add any more and you stop even though you feel it could use "just" a little more hahahaha.
  4. Record that weight per pound measurement somewhere and proceed to mix up your full batch :D

Please learn from my trials and errors using store bought seasonings over the years hahahaha. You would be astounded about how off per pound I have found almost every one of the store bought seasonings I've used. Jerky, bacon, sausage, etc. they all suffer from this where jerky is the worst offender!

When you get into trying internet recipes please reach out too. It has a different set of lessons to follow that I'd be glad to share so you avoid a sausage nightmare :D

Reactions: Florida Chris
As a side note. PS makes a lot of the Cabelas line of sausage mixes. So that’s another option for some of the flavors, but certainly nowhere close to what PS has available.
I went to Cabels's / Bass Pro the other day to pick up some grinder blades and another plate (match the blade to the plate, right?).

There was one garlic brat seasoning kit there I was interested in that I almost bought, but it looked like a return. Sealed with Scotch tape.

I know Owen's has lots of love here, and I'd love to buy from them. They get amazing reviews all around.

The website just takes some time to navigate, and I don't see all the info I'd like to see.

Reactions: SmokinEdge

I've ordered from PS for a while now. Never an issue. Like mentioned above I do my own conversion to weight.

The website just takes some time to navigate, and I don't see all the info I'd like to see.
It takes a bit to find your way around . Here's the link to the fresh sausage .
Has anyone used just used pork? Good results?
Yes . I've used several of the mixes from Owens with ground pork butt .
Works great .
Regular SS
Garlic SS
Ground formed bacon
Breakfast
Philly cheese steak
Regular snack stick
German bologna
Red barn bologna
All good .

I thought Owen's was their own business?

You may be challenged to a fist-fight soon. :emoji_punch::emoji_punch::emoji_punch:

:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Compare the titles
1 for 1 with PS
Not dissing Owens but noticed the similarity when I was shopping.
Wife and I are low sodium so none of the commercial offerings meet our needs.
I make 0.5% salt based on recipes posted on this forum.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Compare the titles
1 for 1 with PS
Not dissing Owens but noticed the similarity when I was shopping.
Wife and I are low sodium so none of the commercial offerings meet our needs.
I make 0.5% salt based on recipes posted on this forum.
Ingredients seem identical as well.

I have used PS seasonings as well and never had any issues. I also like to order from Walton’s they are a great company to work with as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky