1st Sausage in the books

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GatorAGR

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 30, 2024
Carmel, IN
Just completed my first smoked sausage (Jalepeno & Cheddar). Overall very happy with it. Flavor and texture turned out great. I used Chud's starter mix to limit potential mistakes for my first go. Here are the things for improvement:
  1. Casing process was difficult. Meat didn't flow through the stuffer easy. I may need more liquid in my mix. I used the recommended amount, but maybe I need more?
  2. Need to work on getting my casings full without breaking. I didn't have any blowouts, but did have some uneven fills.
    1. Note the voids in the picture. Maybe fat out or cheese melt? Any thoughts from the experts?

IMG_4239.jpg IMG_4237.jpg IMG_4240.jpg IMG_4241.jpg

Nice work. What IT did you take them to? While some of the voids could be air from the stuffer they look to me like cheese melt.
Took them to 152 IT followed by ice bath. The cut piece in the photo was then grilled to 165 almost immediately after. I know they should be allowed to bloom before grilling but I couldn't wait :). My guess is cheese melt as well. I used Extra Sharp Tillamook.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Making the mice the right consistency to stuff is a feel thing, but it needs to be loose and not super sticky. Add water at 40ml per Kg until loosens up. You don’t want it runny but for stuffing a little to wet is better than a little dry. If to dry it won’t flow out out of the stuffer well and will not flow in the casing well causing it to stick and blow out. Just stay after it soon all will make more sense with experience.

Making the mice the right consistency to stuff is a feel thing, but it needs to be loose and not super sticky. Add water at 40ml per Kg until loosens up. You don’t want it runny but for stuffing a little to wet is better than a little dry. If to dry it won’t flow out out of the stuffer well and will not flow in the casing well causing it to stick and blow out. Just stay after it soon all will make more sense with experience.
Makes perfect sense. I really think this is the solution. Thanks!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Nice work. What IT did you take them to? While some of the voids could be air from the stuffer they look to me like cheese melt.
Ditto....looks like cheese pocket melt to me. 152*F is kinda high INT for a cheese sausage imo...longer at a lower temp.would be my recommendation. When INT gets to 136*F smoke them for 1 hour and they are pasteurized....safe to eat. Less chance of cheese melt too....

Ditto....looks like cheese pocket melt to me. 152*F is kinda high INT for a cheese sausage imo...longer at a lower temp.would be my recommendation. When INT gets to 136*F smoke them for 1 hour and they are pasteurized....safe to eat. Less chance of cheese melt too....
So are you suggesting I ramp temps up until sausage has IT of 136 then add smoke for an hour? Also, then after ice bath and bloom, do you just heat them up on grill or cook to a certain IT?

Reactions: JLeonard
Just completed my first smoked sausage (Jalepeno & Cheddar). Overall very happy with it. Flavor and texture turned out great. I used Chud's starter mix to limit potential mistakes for my first go. Here are the things for improvement:
  1. Casing process was difficult. Meat didn't flow through the stuffer easy. I may need more liquid in my mix. I used the recommended amount, but maybe I need more?
  2. Need to work on getting my casings full without breaking. I didn't have any blowouts, but did have some uneven fills.
    1. Note the voids in the picture. Maybe fat out or cheese melt? Any thoughts from the experts?

View attachment 694113View attachment 694112View attachment 694114View attachment 694115

Looks tasty
Nice work

Reactions: GatorAGR
So are you suggesting I ramp temps up until sausage has IT of 136 then add smoke for an hour? Also, then after ice bath and bloom, do you just heat them up on grill or cook to a certain IT?
Dry the casings for about an hour 100-120*F until they feel tacky, but not dry. Then add smoke....ramping the temps. up to keep the chamber temp. about 25-30 degrees above INT of the sausages. When INT reaches 136*F, start a timer on your phone. Pull them after an hour. This will give you a LOG5 reduction in pathogens. If you want LOG7 reduction, smoke for 2 hours....there will be no need for further cooking in a sous vide water bath, but I do suggest a cold shower to quench the cooking process and plump the sausages up to remove wrinkles.....

Reactions: GatorAGR
Got it. So after the 1 or 2 hours past 136F and ice bath, I can simply heat via stove, grill, etc. prior to eating or do I need to cook them to a certain IT before eating? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Got it. So after the 1 or 2 hours past 136F and ice bath, I can simply heat via stove, grill, etc. prior to eating or do I need to cook them to a certain IT before eating? Sorry if that's a dumb question.
Just remember that’s 136F internal temp of sausage not the smoker temp.

I smoke at 130-140F for 3-5 hours looking for good color then I poach finish then water bath then bloom. There are a few ways to finish sausage all work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky