POLL: How do you make your ABTs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How do you make your ABTs?

• cored out, in a rack or holder, no bacon...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • cored out, in a rack or holder, bacon on top... I like bacon.

• boat shape, bacon laid over top...gotta have SOME bacon, right?

• boat shape, bacon wrapped... LOVE lotsa bacon!

• boat shaped, at LEAST a whole slice of bacon, weaved or braided

• boat shaped, as much stuff as I can pile on, and bacon wrapped...

• either whole or halved, wrapped in something like meat.

• whichever takes the least amount of time.

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
ABTDone.JPG

Boat with a whole slice of bacon.
biggrin.gif

All of the above
I do them about every which way the poll said. Depends on my mood at the time. I even did some with 1/3 cheddar cheese, 1/3 cream cheese and 1/3 smoked bacon that I tried to puree in a blender. Piped that mix into a cored jap or Anaheim with the top cut off. Wrap this in bacon and put a bacon lid on the top. Its My favorite.

I do them with large shrimp stuffed whole into a cored jap, those are nice too.

We always do a lot of ABT's for parties and have just one with minced Serrano's or some other really hot peppers minced into it. We tell/warn all the guests that there is a super duper hot hotter than hades one in with all the others and you take your chances. I got it once. Holy Hell was that thing hot. If you get the hot one and eat it all without any of the other guests suspecting you're in pain you win a bottle of wine. Some of the people can actually eat it and enjoy it. The time that I got it there was no doubt that I had. The whole room exploded with laughter as the tears flowed freely down my face and I tried let people know I was dying and already 1/2 way to hell I gasped out call 911 but all they did was laugh at me. I am the ultimate weenie when it comes to hot stuff. I cry eating mild chilli. You don't have to play, but you can't eat any ABT's till its either been won or not and the game is over. The penalty for not playing the game is of course that often the ABT's are all gone before you get one. If People guess you're eating the hot one they shout out Gotcha! The first shouter gets a bottle of wine if he or she is correct. You can also win a bottle of wine prize if your caught crying and in pain but you man up and finish it. If you finish it and don't get caught you must declare yourself the winner, no cheating on this rule. All us weenies that do not play the game are now able to eat ABT's without fear. To the jeers of those who did play I might add.
After the first time I am willing to wait till the game is over and I can safely eat some of the anaheims.
I won no wine that day my friends.
icon_evil.gif
One bite was it, sad to say I was unable to man up and even attempt to finish that evil thing. They wanted to give me a pity prize bottle of wine but I refused. I'm so ashamed!!!!!
icon_redface.gif

Boat style, but only use half a strip of bacon. The real cheap stuff seems to stretch so I can wrap from end to end. But then again, I don't load them up with goodies, if I did, I would probably need a full strip.

I dont like the cream chese ABT's so I tried a few variations, # 1 recipe was good #2 recipe wasnt as good
I usualy core them and add the mixture warm and lay a thick cut of bacon overtop and toothpick the bacon on top
Then they are split in half for serving.

Rich’s Peppers
16 oz. Jimmy Dean sausage (HOT) partial cooked and seasoned
¼ cup of Favorite Rub
½ cup Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese

½ cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Bacon

Let the sausage cool a bit and add the shredded cheese and Favorite rub. Mix thoroughly. Stuff peppers with a spoon squeezing out excess air and moisture.

Rich’s Pizza Peppers
1 lb of ground meat (lean)
½ cup Pepperoni
1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
4 oz. Tomato Paste

¼ cup Sundried Tomatoes
¼ cup Parmesan Cheese

1 Tbl. Italian seasoning

Let the sausage cool a bit and add the shredded cheese and Favorite rub. Mix thoroughly. Stuff peppers with a spoon squeezing out excess air and moisture.

Since recipe 2 wasn't as good I will be trying this slight variation of recipe 1

Rich’s Peppers

16 oz. Jimmy Dean sausage (HOT) partial cooked and seasoned
1 cup Shredded cheddar
4 oz. Tomato Paste

¼ cup Sundried Tomatoes
¼ cup fresh basil chopped
1 Tbl. Italian seasoning

successful ABT's

http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/38...600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb41.webshots.com/46...600x600Q85.jpg

#2 sounds pretty good, shame it wasn't what you had hoped.
What about the cream cheese ones do you not care for? I mean do you eat cream cheese on other stuff or is it just something you don't like?

Made a few ABTs before without cream cheese that I thought were great. Did cheddar cheese, leftover pulled pork and BBQ sauce and they were delicious.

I love cream cheese I can sit there and eat a stick of it like ice cream, don't know why I didn't care for the ABT's, maybe too rich, maybe I messed them up, just not sure, seems like I'm one of the exceptions.

Oh and on the variation I'm going to replace the cheddar with provolone, trying to get a denser texture in there and thought the mozzarella would do it.
The mozz. gave it good texture but is lacking in the flavor department.

well you are just WAAAAAAY out there steve....who doesn't use bacon..lol.by the way thos look great

Originally Posted by tender loins
How do you manage to fit them in a rack if they are wrapped in bacon? or are you just wrapping the tops & not the whole thing?

what was i thinkin????????
makin some today to go with a couple of achiote butts for tacos!

.......and man this little one is cute!

Sapphire2.jpg

Nothing too original, I slice them lengthwise, pack them with cream cheese and a lil smokie, wrap in bacon and completely pack them with brown sugar right before smoking at 225 for three hours. The sugar starts to liquify right away so if you try the sugar out, do it just before tossing them on the grill. I am doing up a ton of these on Sunday morning. Going to try mincing up a whole jug of smoked garlic into the cream cheese this time.

Cored, stuffed w/ cream cheese and wrapped w/ bacon, flat-grilled. Sometimes I'll stuff with crab spread and cook the same way.. Bacon is thick-sliced from the butcher counter. In about a week I'll be making them from my BBB!

I do mine boat style, but I don't cut completely in half. I slice off maybe a 1/2" wide piece from the side of the pepper and core it out.

My standard "stuffing" then consists of:

Diced jalapeno (the pieces I cut off to open the pepper lengthwise"
Shredded Montery Jack & Cheddar Cheeses
Crumbled Bacon

I jam as much filling in the peppers as they'll take. They usually bulge out a little and i wrap them completely with a slice of bacon.

Then just pop 'em in the smoker or grill (away from the heat) and let them cook up all that cheesy, spicy, pork-y goodness. Very rarely are there any leftovers here. I call 'em double 2-biters. It takes 2 bites to eat 'em and each time it bites you back. ;)

Call ours Pigs in a canoe. Cut em in half, stuff with a mixture a cream cheese an four chees blend, then either wrap in bacon er put a little smokie on top, fine eatin fer sure!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky