I'm going pro!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 20, 2015
Central Minnesota
After just shy of 34 years at my current employer I'm headed to work in a kitchen! Fed up with the corporate world I'm starting over. I will be working the kitchen for a local caterer. I graduated a local culinary program the day before I started my cancer journey almost two years ago. Things just fell into place recently. My current employer let me know that my return to fulltime wasn't fast enough, as chef was looking for a hand in his kitchen. Seems like a perfect Fit! The real bitch of it is that after 34 years with a company, I'll make more money as the newbie! Kind of makes you feel you were under valued. It feels weird to head to a job that I actually look forward to and enjoy after all these years. We will be smoking briskets and butts this summers so that will be fun. It just goes to show you that there can be a silver lining after the big "c".

Man thats all aces in your hand! More money and doing something you love. Congrats and good luck!

Jim

Reactions: kawboy
Good luck and enjoy the new career path. Another plus is the free eats. One drawback from working in a kitchen. A friend of mine comes from a family of restaurateurs. He started making donuts in the bakery. Then after college he opened a pizza shop. This was back in the 70s and 80s. To this day he still can't stand either one after being around them so much.

Chris

Congrats and success to you!!! Are you going to bring them all the BBQ/Smoking knowledge to their catering menu??

I hope the cancer journey is under control for you. I am on #33 of radiation treatments (of 38). I wish you the best of luck!!

Good for you bud . Hope it all works out . Keep us posted . I remember when you graduated from culinary school . You got a custom chef's knife I think ?

After just shy of 34 years at my current employer I'm headed to work in a kitchen! Fed up with the corporate world I'm starting over. I will be working the kitchen for a local caterer. I graduated a local culinary program the day before I started my cancer journey almost two years ago. Things just fell into place recently. My current employer let me know that my return to fulltime wasn't fast enough, as chef was looking for a hand in his kitchen. Seems like a perfect Fit! The real bitch of it is that after 34 years with a company, I'll make more money as the newbie! Kind of makes you feel you were under valued. It feels weird to head to a job that I actually look forward to and enjoy after all these years. We will be smoking briskets and butts this summers so that will be fun. It just goes to show you that there can be a silver lining after the big "c".
I’m glad you are doing better and happy you will be doing something you enjoy. I’m retiring from corporate life and then sales / sales management rat race the end of June.

Good on you.
If you go to work doing something you like, you will not work a day again.
After retiring from the military and civil service, I was struggling to find something I like to do for an income. I went back to aircraft maintenance but my schedule and age / stress drove me into a heart attack. After that I did some reflecting and finally found a job as a line service tech at a local FBO. Now I marshall planes, throw chocks, help with baggage then run a refuel truck as needed. Very low stress, 8 hours and no more then I'm gone. Cash tips too from people who can dump money on charter jets..
Take care of your health first.

-Pete

Congrats man!

One thing I learned from a former boss who is a complete idiot is that he said "You only make real money if you work for yourself".

He said it but didn't do it and I looked into it and he was right. So I left the company and started working for myself in 2015 and immediately earned more than double from when I was an employee hahaha.

Now not everyone has the capability of working for themselves but I would urge anyone/everyone to really look into it no matter how young or old you may be and I encourage everyone to begin preparing themselves should they find they want to go this route.

What that means is start learning about how to manage a business (small business accounting, software, payroll, taxes).
Figure out your market research (can I do what I want and is there enough demand/money to be earned doing it).
Determine if you can save up and execute a real plan to make it a reality!

Sounds huge but it all comes down to hard work, learning, and determination.... much of the things we are doing but for someone else to make more money than we are for mostly the same job :D

Again, congrats kawboy kawboy and I wish you the best of luck! :)

Congrats and success to you!!! Are you going to bring them all the BBQ/Smoking knowledge to their catering menu??

I hope the cancer journey is under control for you. I am on #33 of radiation treatments (of 38). I wish you the best of luck!!
He wants me too put my mark on the menu. It will be fun developing along the way. Radiation is a mother! I don't know what you've got going on, but I had throat cancer. Radiation to the throat is a bitch! Surgery sucks too. Physically I'm great, but the side effects are still hanging around a bit. Nothing I can't deal with! Good luck with your journey!

Hey, I'm 70 yo. My working life is over.

And I think back over the years to times when I made decisions that impacted the rest of my life. But mostly, I wish I'd made a move like you're making. There were a couple times I should've done that.

Hope the best for ya, but being happy is the most important thing.

Good for you bud . Hope it all works out . Keep us posted . I remember when you graduated from culinary school . You got a custom chef's knife I think ?
Yup, had my last name engraved in Austrian! Good memory! Thanks.

Good for you!
I dumped the corporate world many years ago.
I've been working on a farm and enjoying life.
Nice having winters off so I can head south.

Wow almost 2 years ago? I remember the threads of graduating Culinary School and then the next journey

Thank you for all the support! It's going to be a good experience. My wife and I talked about it for a while and decided that after the cancer crap, that there is not point in being miserable in my job. It helps to have an awesome wife with a good job for support.

Congratulations! I’m always happy when people find their path and are excited, I’m in a similar stage and it gives me some hope! Can’t wait to see where it goes!

Reactions: kawboy and JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky