Texas Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevinwi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 8, 2014
Stevens Point, WI
I realize "sausage" is a broad term.
I lived in Houston for 6 years back in the late 80's. It's where my love for BBQ began.
I used to frequent a bbq restaurant often near downtown...cannot remember the name....One of the bbq places was Ottos, but I'm not sure that was it. Anyway, I used to get smoked brisket and sausage plates. Sausage was awesome.....but they just called it sausage....no special term....which makes it difficult to find.
Up here in WI we have polish sausage, Italian sausage and brats....
But I want to find that sausage to throw on the bbq pit....I'm not one for making my own sausage and no offense to hillshire farms, but their beef sausage ain't it....
If anyone knows what I'm talking about, let me know.....if it's something I won't be able to readily procure up here, so be it, but I'd sure like to duplicate it.

Reactions: JLeonard
My buddy swears by some stuff he gets at costco or sams club, not sure which. I am also unsure if its fresh or not. I've heard him say it comes from texas or something like that, and its always good, but thats all the info I got.

I'd love to know how the restaurants do it, if its something pre-cooked that they slice and lay smoke on, or if its fresh and they smoke it, or some combo thereof with some seasonings...when I go out to a bbq place its one of my favorites to get off the menu.

There's a lot of different sausages in Texas so it's hard to say what you got. There's a lot of Czech sausage and there's Central Texas meat market sausage of various types. There's also East Texas beef links.

Southside Market in Elgin is very famous for their sausage. They ship:

Meyer's also out of Elgin is sometimes easier to find and they make sausage for a lot restaurants:

Here's an article talking about Czech sausage in Texas.

Slovacek's is a good example:
But I can't figure out how to order direct. This was all over the place in Bryan/College Station area when I went to Texas A&M. They'd sell in front of Kyle Field.

Last edited:
My buddy swears by some stuff he gets at costco or sams club, not sure which. I am also unsure if its fresh or not. I've heard him say it comes from texas or something like that, and its always good, but thats all the info I got.

I'd love to know how the restaurants do it, if its something pre-cooked that they slice and lay smoke on, or if its fresh and they smoke it, or some combo thereof with some seasonings...when I go out to a bbq place its one of my favorites to get off the menu.
Is this what he buys? It's pretty dang good.
Screenshot_20240320-120607.png

Is this what he buys? It's pretty dang good. View attachment 692161
I've had that and seen it, and your right, it is good. But I don't think its what he buys. He says he has to look for it, that its not always stocked. So not sure if its something they sold in the past, and don't anymore or if its more "seasonal", if that term can be used for costco lol.

Reactions: jcam222
I lived in Houston for 6 years back in the late 80's. It's where my love for BBQ began.
I used to frequent a bbq restaurant often near downtown...cannot remember the name....One of the bbq places was Ottos, but I'm not sure that was it. Anyway, I used to get smoked brisket and sausage plates. Sausage was awesome.....but they just called it sausage....no special term....which makes it difficult to find.
But I want to find that sausage to throw on the bbq pit....I'm not one for making my own sausage and no offense to hillshire farms, but their beef sausage ain't it....
If anyone knows what I'm talking about, let me know.....if it's something I won't be able to readily procure up here, so be it, but I'd sure like to duplicate it.

I know what you mean being born and raised in TX.

Sausage like ones in these pics:
48046837287_85b772f46c_o.jpg

2582.jpg

It's going to be hard to find it where you are at. Hell it's hard to find it here in TX unless you go to the BBQ house and get it lol.

I think the options that Dustin Dorsey Dustin Dorsey and jcam222 jcam222 are presenting will be your best best unless you are going to make it yourself.

I feel like these are Czech inspired sausages vs the common Polish style. Similar in luck but quite a bit different in taste and the fact that they should have some beef and/or beef fat in them and other things :D

I know what you mean being born and raised in TX.

Sausage like ones in these pics:
View attachment 692164
View attachment 692165

It's going to be hard to find it where you are at. Hell it's hard to find it here in TX unless you go to the BBQ house and get it lol.

I think the options that Dustin Dorsey Dustin Dorsey and jcam222 jcam222 are presenting will be your best best unless you are going to make it yourself.

I feel like these are Czech inspired sausages vs the common Polish style. Similar in luck but quite a bit different in taste and the fact that they should have some beef and/or beef fat in them and other things :D
YEP!! That is EXACTLY what I mean! ha.....they were not small links...they were bigger links like in your photo! I think I'm on the right track to finding a place to purchase!

Reactions: JLeonard and tallbm
Are you talking about Kreuz Sausage?
It's a no frills, outstanding, simple sausage with a cult following.

Reactions: chopsaw and jcam222
There's a lot of different sausages in Texas so it's hard to say what you got. There's a lot of Czech sausage and there Central Texas meat market sausage of various types. There's also East Texas beef links.

Southside Market in Elgin is very famous for their sausage. They ship:

Meyer's also out of Elgin is sometimes easier to find and they make sausage for a lot restaurants:

Here's an article talking about Czech sausage in Texas.

Slovacek's is a good example:
But I can't figure out how to order direct. This was all over the place in Bryan/College Station area when I went to Texas A&M. They'd sell in front of Kyle Field.
I'm going to give Slovacek's a try and see. Will be $$ from TX. They supposedly carry these at Sams Club, but mine does not.

Reactions: JLeonard
YEP!! That is EXACTLY what I mean! ha.....they were not small links...they were bigger links like in your photo! I think I'm on the right track to finding a place to purchase!
I did a Jalapeno and Cheese one that was pretty close.

I used H HushyQ 's recipe as a starting point. I still need to do some tweaks for iteration 2 like adding more jalapeno but the flavor was really close. Maybe a little corriander is needed.

Mine will look darker because I use Cherry in my wood mix (65% Hickory, then even parts Cherry and Maple).
The ones in the picture are likely just Oak so they won't get as dark as when using cherry. Also in the pic with both sausages you can see the darker red ones are the spicy which will use red pepper (probably cayenne too) and jalapeno where the lighter sausage on the right doesn't add the heat or get the extra red color from lack of red pepper powders/flakes :D

Reactions: kevinwi
Well I purchased sausage from Slovaceks directly....very helpful person took my order. Carla.....
I ordered all different kinds.
The problem was that the shipping was more than the meat by a long shot. I don't see me ordering very often.
Going to have to find a local butcher that makes Czech sausage.

If you call...call the plant.

Well I purchased sausage from Slovaceks directly....very helpful person took my order. Carla.....
I ordered all different kinds.
The problem was that the shipping was more than the meat by a long shot. I don't see me ordering very often.
Going to have to find a local butcher that makes Czech sausage.

If you call...call the plant.
I used to stop by Slovacek's weekly from 2015-2017 when commuting to/from Dallas and Round Rock TX. They have good stuff and a lot of options. Hopefully you land on one like you remember :D

What style of sausage is that?
That's the Chorizo Argentino from Marianski's site . I used all pork and skipped the wine .
It's good sausage .
I did that on my pellet grill . I mix it up , stuff , then freeze . Thaw and cook when I want to use it .
That comes out way better for me than smoking first , then freezing .

Reactions: kevinwi
You could find a way to do it without a big expense to start . Then decide what you want to do .
I did these last week .
View attachment 692178
View attachment 692177
Honestly I have a very small home and a lot of stuff built up over the years....that I never use....although it looks fun, I'm afraid it would just add to my other crap pile of gadgets I don't use.

Reactions: chopsaw
Honestly I have a very small home and a lot of stuff built up over the years....that I never use....although it looks fun, I'm afraid it would just add to my other crap pile of gadgets I don't use.
I know the feeling. I'm to the point where my counters runneth over. But I found that my new stuffer fits perfectly into the small narrow cabinet the builders designed as a cutting board cabinet :)

Tejas style beef - on my very very short list.

Reactions: tallbm and kevinwi
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky