Z Grill? Traeger? Something Else?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DUB_Echo

Original poster
Sep 7, 2021
Hey Everyone!
Looking for recs on a new grill. (I’m sure this has been discussed to death here)
I feel like I’ve outgrown my current setup and want to move up to something new.
My current setup is a Webber Spirit 3 burner propane grill, and a Masterbuilt electric smoker.
It’s been good to me, the Webber is almost 10 years old, and the Masterbuilt is about 3.

I’m looking at Z grills vs Traeger right now.
I like the idea of being able to grill or smoke on the same grill. And the function/ ease of the Traeger. I do have 3 kids so having time to fully devote to a smoke is tough. I’m usually getting pulled away and throwing more chips in the Masterbuilt when I don’t smell or see smoke lol

Just seeing everyone’s experience or if there is something else I could be looking at.
Thanks!

I'm not a pellet grill owner but Recteq owners love them.

Whatever you decide on don't toss the MB. These can be easily modified to the point where you don't have to even to look at it until the food is done.

Reactions: babydocsmoker
Traeger, Webber, Pit Boss, Rec-Req, and Camp Chef all have satisfied customers around here. There are a few Z-Grill owners around, too.

I will tell you that pellet grills smoke better than they grill since the heat is generated in a small firepot. I still have my gas grill and a charcoal grill for actual grilling.

Reactions: mike243 and chopsaw
Rec Teq for sure! Ive had mine for years, and it runs like new everytime. Ive run it in below freezing snow to over 100 degree summers. Low maintenance, produces great meats! I would by another in a second (if my wife would let me Bahahah). But seriously, she was skeptical, then she tried the product and that was all she wrote. Now its “when are you gonna make _____, or_____,” and so on.

Zero regrets on a Rec Teq!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I guess I’ll have to look into RecTeq
I live in Hawaii so shipping is usually insane for me.
I’m pretty much limited to what I can’t get at Lowes/ Home Depot or Amazon

Traeger, Webber, Pit Boss, Rec-Req, and Camp Chef all have satisfied customers around here. There are a few Z-Grill owners around, too.

I will tell you that pellet grills smoke better than they grill since the heat is generated in a small firepot. I still have my gas grill and a charcoal grill for actual grilling.
I was wondering if I should get a smaller gas grill for actual grilling

I got the Camp Chef from Lowe's .... ship to store. They don't keep them in the store but buying through them was cheaper than direct from CC.

I really like RecTeq, looks like great pellet grill, and solid company. But it’s an extra $200 for shipping!
I’ll look into Z Grill and Camp Chef
I like Traeger, but feel like your paying for the name more than they grill

Traeger, Webber, Pit Boss, Rec-Req, and Camp Chef all have satisfied customers around here.
There's a lot of great pellet grills out there , as said by Doug .
I guess I’ll have to look into RecTeq
Make yourself a list of the things you want , then see what brands offer those . Cross off accordingly .
My biggest one was a drop auger feed .

Reactions: DougE
Generally I take the position that the best use for something is it's prime purpose. Grills grill and smokers smoke. Combo's always sound inviting but invariably do not excel at both tasks. Rich ( chopsaw chopsaw ) is spot on with making a list. I would advise to budget enough so that you don't find yourself back looking for a replacement in 3-5 years. The RecTeq is at a good level to start getting serious about. Good luck!

I was wondering if I should get a smaller gas grill for actual grilling
Three kids means larger gas grill! 😁 We have four kids, all grown, but we still keep a large grill for church folk who come by.

As for your smoker choices, RecTec is a fine one. My FIL, texasray had one and of all the smokers he ever owned, it was his favorite.

I really like RecTeq, looks like great pellet grill, and solid company. But it’s an extra $200 for shipping!
I’ll look into Z Grill and Camp Chef
I like Traeger, but feel like your paying for the name more than they grill
I would pay the $200 if it was me knowing what I know now. Mine was a pallet about 4’ tall.

I have a gasser for general grilling. Not a fan of combo a products - I fell like there is a compromise on both sides. My Weber gasser is at least 2X the age of my Rec Teq. No issues there either.

Buy one cry once, then its all smiles.

Appreciate the insight everyone! Think I’ll bite the bullet on shipping and go Rec Teq. With a small propane Webber for high heat grilling
I’m sure lots of questions to come after I get it lol

Reactions: schlotz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky