Chips in a tube

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Central Pa
I did a test run with orange chips in a 18" tube from Todd in my SFB vertical.

Filled

Burned fast. Only got 1.5 hours of smoke.

This pic was in the CC.

Looks abit heavy to me. Smelled good thou.

Anyone else try chips in the tube?

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
How's the smoke look? Seems to me it's a bit heavier then using pellets.
depends on how tight i pack the tube, more back the darker blue smoke, light pack i get light blue. Mix some pellets and chips together. I like sassafras pellets and hickory chips

depends on how tight i pack the tube, more back the darker blue smoke, light pack i get light blue. Mix some pellets and chips together. I like sassafras pellets and hickory chips

This wasn't packed tight. I gotta experiment

It worked very well. Only lit it once and took right off smoking.

I like mixing chips with pellets in my tubes. Works great with lighter flavored woods like Apple and maple.

Buddy gave me some mesquite, wow was that some smokey chicken. Lol

Wonder if you fill the tube just half full, in its horizontal position, would the smoke be less?   That's what Todd recommends when using his pellets in a tube in an electric smoker or mailbox. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky