Sausage stuffing - or how I got mad and threw a bunch of junk away.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks boykjo boykjo !

I haven't weighed it but I have about a pound and a half of the original grind from the initial batch in the freezer. When I grind up a new batch, is it ok to mix the 2? Original has all spices and binders etc already mixed into it. Common sense tells me it's ok - but the milk powder I used does make me wonder.

I’ll also say that on casings generally, but especially those vacuum packed things. When you rehydrate, velvet them with a splash of baking soda in the water. It slicks them up and makes them much more pliable. Even the good casings by the hank, when I pull them out and rinse getting ready to stuff, always baking soda in the mix. This makes the casings very supple but also makes them slick on the stuffing horn. Like greased owl sh!t slick. It’s a good play.

Reactions: DougE
I’ll also say that on casings generally, but especially those vacuum packed things. When you rehydrate, velvet them with a splash of baking soda in the water. It slicks them up and makes them much more pliable. Even the good casings by the hank, when I pull them out and rinse getting ready to stuff, always baking soda in the mix. This makes the casings very supple but also makes them slick on the stuffing horn. Like greased owl sh!t slick. It’s a good play.
Appreciate that. I have a hank soaking now. I've now seen a couple of posts that suggest to store the unused ones in a saturated saline solution. On that, when you are ready to use them, do I need to debrine them or can they be used out of that solution. Baking soda the whole time? I've added vinegar (just a splash) so until I get home Saturday they sit in that.

do I need to debrine them or can they be used out of that solution. Baking soda the whole time? I've added vinegar (just a splash) so until I get home Saturday they sit in that.
You should rinse the casings minimum 24 hours before stuffing. Baking soda soak does not need to be that long, it just helps the surface of the casing be slippery to slide on the horn and not grab...

Appreciate that. I have a hank soaking now. I've now seen a couple of posts that suggest to store the unused ones in a saturated saline solution. On that, when you are ready to use them, do I need to debrine them or can they be used out of that solution. Baking soda the whole time? I've added vinegar (just a splash) so until I get home Saturday they sit in that.
I pull what I think I’ll need out of the pale, rinse and flush with fresh lukewarm water, then into a bowl and then dust them with baking soda, stir and let sit while you are making up your sausage. If you have a long enough strand left over after stuffing, simple return it to the pale and stir the salt on the bottom and into the fridge. Easy as that.

One other thing I’ve noted, the baking soda makes the casings slick enough that it can be a challenge to get a knot at the end of the casing to hold. I was reminded of this yesterday when stuffing some bologna rings in beef middles (40mm) these are heavy walled casings and just would not hold a knot, so I tied them with string.

Reactions: indaswamp
What size pail do you store your unused casings in?
Here is one of them, about quart sized. This is from TSM, I don’t believe they still sell hanks in the pale, they are bagged and boxed now, but I keep the old pales and refill them. Any food grade plastic container about quart sized will handle a full hank of casings. I have some sheep casings in a mason jar as well.

IMG_1958.jpeg

Reactions: DougE and GatorAGR
Here is one of them, about quart sized. This is from TSM, I don’t believe they still sell hanks in the pale, they are bagged and boxed now, but I keep the old pales and refill them. Any food grade plastic container about quart sized will handle a full hank of casings. I have some sheep casings in a mason jar as well.

View attachment 691650
Perfect. Thanks. Trying to find one. Can't have transparent container in the fridge or my wife will end my new hobby before it gets started. :emoji_joy:

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I appreciate the hell out of all of you

Now to figure out how to keep air out of the ropes lol.
View attachment 691747
You just do a pin prick to any air spots of bubble spots (I use the tip of a knife) and the air will escape and the casing will lay flat against the meat. Just don't do a big cut or else you risk tearing :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky