RecTec and Rib failure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I had some Baby Back ribs that been in freezer a while. I was going to river and decide to just throw ribs in on low (180) before I left. I move smoker away from everything just in case. I was using a smoke tube with pellets and chips. Got to river and checked smoker and it was running around 230 and climbed up to around 250 where it stayed. Got constant alarms about smoker over heating. Was not to worried as if there was a fire would of been hotter that that. Finally decided I better get home and check on it. Was on for about 4.5 hours at this point. Smoke tube was burned up and ribs temp about 190 and tough still. Went ahead and wrapped for about 1.5 hours. I think the smoke tube caught fire which is what got smoker hot but seems like it would of come back down. When got home left lid open to bring temp down but went right back to over 250. Good reason not to leave a smoker un-attended! Ribs where awful. I doing a test right now and temp is slowly climbing and outside temp is just 77 right now. I going to shut off and do a cleaning and give it another try. It is doing the off on thing like it normally does on low.

Last edited:
Not sure if this helps but my Yoder needs to be unplugged for a minute or so then plugged back in to start up to reset the software, without that step it starts acting goofy. Not sure if Rec Tec is same or not but worth a try.

Hey Brian, sorry to hear about the rib failure. Don't feel bad though. I managed to massacre a brisket on Saturday. Must be a Texas thing this past weekend :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Hey Brian, sorry to hear about the rib failure. Don't feel bad though. I managed to massacre a brisket on Saturday. Must be a Texas thing this past weekend :emoji_astonished:

Robert
Dang. I still not sure what is going on with mine. I will try to get cleaned this week and do another test run. Been so hot really not done much smoking. At least I know I have support if anything wrong! I been making an attempt to use old stuff up but there just to much of it!

Not sure if this helps but my Yoder needs to be unplugged for a minute or so then plugged back in to start up to reset the software, without that step it starts acting goofy. Not sure if Rec Tec is same or not but worth a try.

My Recteq needs to be unplugged frequently also, but the only thing that gets screwed up is the WiFi. Unplug it & plug it back in & the WiFi connects.
Al

My Recteq needs to be unplugged frequently also, but the only thing that gets screwed up is the WiFi. Unplug it & plug it back in & the WiFi connects.
Al
I did do that. I guess I did not wait long enough as it coming back down now with feed rate at 4% but it not hot out yet either.

Last edited:
Did you clean the internal thermostat ? Or did it possible get bumped or pulled away from being straight up ? Just a few things to check for in the future. I toss a digital inside all the time to verify RT temp is correct.

Did you clean the internal thermostat ? Or did it possible get bumped or pulled away from being straight up ? Just a few things to check for in the future. I toss a digital inside all the time to verify RT temp is correct.
I keep it clean. It reads correct. I think the slower feed rate will take care of it.

Reactions: Winterrider
I had some Baby Back ribs that been in freezer a while. I was going to river and decide to just throw ribs in on low (180) before I left. I move smoker away from everything just in case. I was using a smoke tube with pellets and chips. Got to river and checked smoker and it was running around 230 and climbed up to around 250 where it stayed. Got constant alarms about smoker over heating. Was not to worried as if there was a fire would of been hotter that that. Finally decided I better get home and check on it. Was on for about 4.5 hours at this point. Smoke tube was burned up and ribs temp about 190 and tough still. Went ahead and wrapped for about 1.5 hours. I think the smoke tube caught fire which is what got smoker hot but seems like it would of come back down. When got home left lid open to bring temp down but went right back to over 250. Good reason not to leave a smoker un-attended! Ribs where awful. I doing a test right now and temp is slowly climbing and outside temp is just 77 right now. I going to shut off and do a cleaning and give it another try. It is doing the off on thing like it normally does on low.
sorry that happened. What did the ribs taste like. Was it just the ends that were bad or was the center bones bad too? When the pitboss I had caught fire the temp got well over 400 and it errrr off. That didn’t happen to yours? Is their a bunch of black stuff on the temp probe? Edit.** just saw winterrider asked about the probe

Reactions: smokin peachey
That blows when you put dollars and effort into something that turns out to be blah.

I can only leave you with this weak sentiment. If it weren't for failure, how would you know what good cooking tasted like? :emoji_shrug: :emoji_face_palm::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: flatbroke
What did the ribs taste like. Was it just the ends that were bad or was the center bones bad too?

That blows when you put dollars and effort into something that turns out to be blah.
The ribs where just to old I think. Kind of dry and bad taste. Think they been in there 3 years.

• Wow
Reactions: JC in GB
I had this happen to me a couple of times. Now I always make sure I turn the temp back to low before I turn it off. Since I started doing this haven't had a problem. I do pull the power cord often as well.

I let RecTec run for a couple hours before starting an overnight cook. It was still climbing to high. I lowered feed rate some more down to 3%. After putting Brisket in it ran fairly well all night. Stayed pretty close to 180. Just put brisket into pan with rack and covered than into the MES40 to finish.

This thing use to be rock solid temps. Not sure if something is wrong or if it is just the Texas heat.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky