Smoke Gen Question / Issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokincold

Original poster
Mar 28, 2020
Hi,

I'm trying to get my smokehouse dialed in and having some smoke gen issues. I'm using an AMPS for smoke gen. Here is what is happening. When I cold smoke (no heat other than AMPS), all works well. When I run the burner on low (house around 150-165) the AMPS seems to not create as much smoke and sometimes burns out. I've tried raising it a bit higher (2") but no change. There is plenty of air flow, and adjusting the vents doesn't seem to make a difference. For reference I have a block burner, with a hotel pan filled with lava rock on top for a heat sink. The AMPS is sitting on some steel tube above the lava rock. Here's a pic for reference. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
IMG_20231029_164120907_HDR(1).jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks,I'll look at the smoke tube! I'm a little surprised that there is not enough air with a 4x10 intake vent right below the burner. When I run the burner hotter (210), the pellets do burn, but almost too fast. That's what is causing a bit of confusion. Any specific smoke tubes to look at? Thanks!

Not sure of your elevation but the maze doesn’t work well at higher elevations that’s why they built the tube it works better in lower oxygen levels. Also might try burning dust instead of pellets, lots of folks prefer the dust.

Also when hot smoking you can try removing the pan with lava rock and replace with a 12” cast iron skillet then put wood chunks or pellets into the skillet to smolder, that’s how I run mine in colder weather and use a smoke generator for cold smoke or smoking in warmer weather.

Thanks SmokingEdge. I'm about 650ft. I'll look in to the dust too. I noticed a lot of people using it, the pellets were an easy grab at the hardware store. I do have my eyes open for some old cast iron for the summer.

Maybe try raising your tray higher or moving to the side.could be to close to heat source making them hotter and more combustible.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Put the maze on the floor if its fire proof it will smoke then no oxygen to keep it lit

Put the maze on the floor if its fire proof it will smoke then no oxygen to keep it lit
If using a flame for heat, never place the smoke source below the flame. The smoke will travel through the flame and be burned clean negating the smokes effect. Always keep the smoke source above the flame.

All of it wont go through the flames but it won't burn above the burner with no oxygen , the smokes already created and flames wont make it disappear imo, 1 way to find out set it down there and let er rip

All of it wont go through the flames but it won't burn above the burner with no oxygen , the smokes already created and flames wont make it disappear imo, 1 way to find out set it down there and let er rip
Unless I'm not understanding his question I think he is saying it burns to quick when he turns the heat on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky