Porkapalooza!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Found pork butts for a good price and backed the truck up. Bought 120#. Doing a big 80# run of Cajun Andouille, 10# Tasso, and 10# fresh cajun sausage. After trimming the lean from the butts for the Andouille, I only used about 15% of the fat so Have 12# of trim left (roughly 70lean/30fat). Will be doing a run of Nduja with that. Andouille is stuffed into casings, in a bag and on ice. They hit the smokehouse tomorrow early. should be about a 10 hour smoke to get them done right. Sorry, no pics....will take some pics. when I load them in the smokehouse in the am. I'll be making the fresh sausage and the nduja tomorrow while smoking the Andouille. Will smoke the tasso in 4-5 days...

Andouille loaded inda smokehouse @100-120*F to dry the casings...
IMG_20240406_075440.jpg

About to roll some smoke. This will be about a 10 hour trip....fasten your seat belts.

The sausages look fatty, but that is only because I ground the fat, along with lean trim (70/30) through a 3mm plate for more even distribution. That fine ground lean also gives great protein extraction when mixed in with the large chunks of meat for Andouille. Links will look better once smoked. Gonna use Hickory, cherry and dark brown sugar for smoke....gives a great color on the andouille. Not a lot of cherry, maybe 20-30%...

*edit to add: total fat content is right around 15-16% fat in the andouille. I like to go just a tad below 20% with Andouille because of the big chunks of meat. The fine grind on the fat allows it to marble in between the big chunks of meat.

Found pork butts for a good price and backed the truck up. Bought 120#. Doing a big 80# run of Cajun Andouille, 10# Tasso, and 10# fresh cajun sausage. After trimming the lean from the butts for the Andouille, I only used about 15% of the fat so Have 12# of trim left (roughly 70lean/30fat). Will be doing a run of Nduja with that. Andouille is stuffed into casings, in a bag and on ice. They hit the smokehouse tomorrow early. should be about a 10 hour smoke to get them done right. Sorry, no pics....will take some pics. when I load them in the smokehouse in the am. I'll be making the fresh sausage and the nduja tomorrow while smoking the Andouille. Will smoke the tasso in 4-5 days...
That’s a lot of pork! 🐖 🐷

Reactions: indaswamp
Progress....

Got the fresh sausage ground, mixed and stuffed....that entire coil is 10# of sausage....And linked...
IMG_20240406_135921.jpg

...cut into 3 and vac sealed then inda freezer. Made two patties with what was left in the stuffer. Ate one for lunch today...don't worry, no cure in this sausage...
IMG_20240406_150401.jpg

Mmmmm....good batch.....
Andouille is right at INT 120*F so smoking good.Will check the wood chunks in about another hour.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky