Which 36 inch griddle to get?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ks_wayward_son

Original poster
Apr 21, 2021
Pit Boss Deluxe 4 Burner:

I can get this mother for 399.00 at my local Bomgaars.

Or...

Standard Blackstone with hood:

The Pit Boss is advertised to crank out a lot more heat with 62000 btu vs Blackstone's. But, the BS has a hood rather than fold out shelves that act as a cover. A lot of people use their hoods as a "steamer" for melting cheese and whatnot when making burgers, Phillies, etc. I'm wondering if I could lower the heat and use the fold over trays on the PB to do the same thing? I know the BS is tried and true, but the PB is a heckuva beast that seems to have a bit more surface and the heat output is something I can't discount. Not really looking at the Pit Boss with the ceramic surface (I like cast iron style cooking), but I hear you can buy a separate ceramic top to use on the basic unit as well...which is another advantage of the Pit Boss.

What says yous guys and ladies?

Thanks.

I had a 36" CampChef what worked well. Have not had any others.

I like that the PitBoss side tables fold up over the top.

What ever you get, I'd recommend having a metal shop make you a 3-sided SS folding splatter shield.
Will save you a lot of cleanup.

Last edited:
I like to have a cover for storage but prefer the lids for steaming, the roll over cover will get moisture and oil on it and when you stand it up it will run off into the floor in back. Blackstone has plenty of power imo, I have a older 36" and a single burner 17", I bought a wind guard for the 17 and it acts as a splatter guard.

I have the simple Blackstone 36 inch from Walmart for a couple years now worked well for me

I have the wally world 36 also. Serves me well but I just picked up a adjustable regulator that I'm gonna try on it for more heat.

I realize I am late to this discussion, but for future lookers. My 36" well used Blackstone is getting close to two years old from Tractor Supply. After a real warm up, it gets to 500-550 at about 3/4 up on all 4 burners, singing anything I need really hot. I feel there is no way I could stand full open with anything I griddle. Reading others posts, it seems to me there might be a difference in the individual pressure regulators to make a difference. I did notice my regulator says 20psi on it. Most std propane BBQ "charcoal" grills ones are less psi than that.

Also I found a quirk on propane tanks lots of years ago. If you have the burners on, and then quickly open the tank valve, you could have low flow because of the safety stuff in the tank. I suggest you always have burners off if you can, then open the tank valve first, then open the burners to get full flow or that safety feature in the tank could limit my flame at times on some devices. At one time, I had that safety crap stuck in a tank and I could only get little flow no matter what I did on several devices. Prob should not post here, but instead of refilling out of my large tank when it was empty, I traded it in with a red x on the valve. I feel Blue Rinosris or whatever had the capabilities to fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard and BigW.
Pit Boss Deluxe 4 Burner:

I can get this mother for 399.00 at my local Bomgaars.

Or...

Standard Blackstone with hood:

The Pit Boss is advertised to crank out a lot more heat with 62000 btu vs Blackstone's. But, the BS has a hood rather than fold out shelves that act as a cover. A lot of people use their hoods as a "steamer" for melting cheese and whatnot when making burgers, Phillies, etc. I'm wondering if I could lower the heat and use the fold over trays on the PB to do the same thing? I know the BS is tried and true, but the PB is a heckuva beast that seems to have a bit more surface and the heat output is something I can't discount. Not really looking at the Pit Boss with the ceramic surface (I like cast iron style cooking), but I hear you can buy a separate ceramic top to use on the basic unit as well...which is another advantage of the Pit Boss.

What says yous guys and ladies?

Thanks.
get one with a lid lol

Reactions: Timber II and BigW.
Did a little stirfry last night - wrapped foil around th edges cause the wind was whippin.
IMG_5310.jpeg

The Dollar Store used to have SS scrapers that would hang on the edge just right to make wind breaks also. Use to be 1$ prob a little more now.

Reactions: Timber II
I have had the original design 36" Blackstone for years now. Love it. If I bought new id want the attached hinged lid not so much for storage but as a giant steam hood.

I also have a 36” black stone - maybe 6 yrs old. It has plenty of power for everything but blackening fish….I wish it got a little hotter for that.

I’ve never had an issue with blackening fish on my black stone

Reactions: mike243 and jcam222
I’ve never had an issue with blackening fish on my black stone
me either.
tuna2.jpg

Reactions: mike243 and jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky