Ceramic v. Steel Griddle?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Count Porcula

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2020
I sort of feel like I blew it by buying a Napoleon grill instead of a griddle. "Blew it" is not really right, because I now feel like I should have both a grill and a griddle. The Napoleon is great for many things, and it has a rotisserie, and a griddle can't do rotisserie stuff. Far as I know.

My grill has a side infrared burner, and it lets me fry steaks in a skillet with butter. Very nice, but I am hoping to move my wife in here soon, and I also have friends, believe it or not, so a skillet won't be big enough for all my needs.

I have a turkey fryer base and a big square of 1/4" steel. I was going to turn the steel into a griddle. Not all that elegant. Fine for the bachelor life, but maybe not ideal for cohabitation.

I wonder if people can tell me whether I'm better off with a steel flattop or one with ceramic stuff on it. I see Blackstone and Pit Boss both make steel tops, but Pit Boss makes a ceramic top which seems like it might be smarter in the humid outdoors. I would have some concerns about it flaking and failing.

Also, what do you do if you want to fry steak in butter on a flattop? Have people found ways to confine the butter so it stays near the food?

Reactions: JLeonard
I sort of feel like I blew it by buying a Napoleon grill instead of a griddle. "Blew it" is not really right, because I now feel like I should have both a grill and a griddle. The Napoleon is great for many things, and it has a rotisserie, and a griddle can't do rotisserie stuff. Far as I know.

My grill has a side infrared burner, and it lets me fry steaks in a skillet with butter. Very nice, but I am hoping to move my wife in here soon, and I also have friends, believe it or not, so a skillet won't be big enough for all my needs.

I have a turkey fryer base and a big square of 1/4" steel. I was going to turn the steel into a griddle. Not all that elegant. Fine for the bachelor life, but maybe not ideal for cohabitation.

I wonder if people can tell me whether I'm better off with a steel flattop or one with ceramic stuff on it. I see Blackstone and Pit Boss both make steel tops, but Pit Boss makes a ceramic top which seems like it might be smarter in the humid outdoors. I would have some concerns about it flaking and failing.

Also, what do you do if you want to fry steak in butter on a flattop? Have people found ways to confine the butter so it stays near the food?
I can't comment on the ceramic but for containing the butter,eggs etc you can get metal or silicone rings.

Steel, or C.I. all day long.
The coated griddles suck because you can't scrape them with metal utensils while cooking or for clean up. I scrape and reoil the cooking surface after every step of cooking while using my griddles. It's a must-do thing to keep the food from sticking to the griddle .

Reactions: jcam222
I got my son a couple different griddles from Little Griddle for his gas grill. They worked well. Here is a link and a couple models are available on amazon:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky