Are Crazy or What

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cheapchalee

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Thailand
Ever notice how the wife, friend, etc.. looks at you when you get out the camera and start taking pictures of "food". I've had friends look at me and ask WTF are you doing taking pictures of food. Then I have to explain that I'm on this smoking forum and the guys and gals expect you to post pictures of the food that you cook. They say "why". Well you just can't explain some things to some people.

I mean how many people do you know of that take pictures of their hobby? I can see it now, the guy that builds models sitting there taking pictures of his tube of glue, exacto knife, instructions, paint, etc. We would probably look at them and say WTF are you doing taking picture of that model for? Yet here we are taking pictures of a bottle of salt and pepper, a grill, tin foil, ice chest, smoker, wood chips, etc..

I can envision one model builder saying to the other, "Yeah I used to use ABC's glue but I found that it didn't have the sticking power of MNO's glue. Since I've changed my models come out cleaner and I can finish them in half the time."

I think someone needs to start a poll on comments, looks, remarks that you get when smoking.

Well I'm going stair crazy not being able to smoke right now and it's killing me. I'd gladly light up the grill in the snow if I could, not saying I'd like the cold, I just want to smoke something.

Later,
Charlie

if we go on travel ,when I eat somewhere nice I also take pictures of it
in our holiday pictures are always pictures of food

people are sometimes surprised

I've been photographing my cooking for years, mostly because I wanted a record but also because I was proud of what I created and wanted to send pics to my father (butcher 40 years) who got me started before I was 10.

When I met my wife a few years ago she thought I was an idiot, well still does.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Now that I am part of this forum group I take even more, some for qview but mostly for record.

The Christmas cards I made this year had 3 pics, 2 of the kids and 1 of a group of beer can chickens, she's still pissed!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I don't know how long you been smokin but it won't stop at the photo taking with your wife. My wife use to lhao when I was preparing a smoke. Then when it was done I would carefully cut it and grab the camera again. Well that has all passed. When I did my first fatty, she asked if I got a pic of it before she cut it. She said it look soooo good she didn't want to cut it. Wait till she starts askin you what smokin for dinner and before you know it you're smokin dinner 4, 5 even 6 nights a week cause she no longer likes her own cookin compared to your smokin.
I'm like grizz, I take pics sorta a record of what I've done. Dated and labeled.
1.gif

--ray--

Hey all,
My wife was also giving me funny looks when i snatched up her camera to take pics of my latest smoke. Being new here, I myself thought it was kind of funny.
icon_smile.gif

Your analogy with the models is actually spot on. Another hobby of mine is RC aircraft. All of the forums i visit regarding it are full of pictures exactly like you mentioned in your post. Pics of glue, building materials, ect..

Guess we're not that crazy :)

Chris

i dont run into this issue, my wife helps take the pics, she knows taking pics of food is my hobby, and trys to share that hobby with me.

I also take pics of alot of the meals I eat out, and post them & reviews on my blog.

My wife has been very supportive of the qview. We have been taking food pictures for the last 10 years at least. We use them for our 4H cooking class for their annual books. I have lots of pictures of kids chopping celery and onions. LOL

I started trying to sneak taking the pics, lol but now just do it, the wife chuckles and shakes her head, "hey it keeps me out of the bars" I tell her.
lol
Godspeed,
bigslick
btw it is a lot easier to take the pics as i learn more and get better Q to view!

My kid thought I was nuts when I pulled out the camera to take pictures of our Christmas Prime Rib
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

SWMBO told her I was doing it for a forum I belonged to and my daughter just said OH THAT explanes everything!!!!!

My friends know I'm a nut anyway.... They did surprise me this Christmas with a gift of new plates so my food pictures would look prettier.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Guess I've won them over to my way of thinking.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Yep, no problem here, SWMBO thinks it's just fine, as long as the food is not far from being consumed.
Now, a side story, sorta, related to picture taking though. I belong to another forum, where we get together, admire our trucks, look at the modifications, shoot the breeze, and of course, take a ton of pictures to be posted onto the forum for others who weren't able to attend the "party". That in itself isn't the real problem, however, just imagine a picture of 5 or 6 men, leaning over the engine compartment of a truck, drooling over the latest enhancement or a show and tell of how to... Sometimes, there are too many pants slipping lower over the backside with the shirt raising higher. Yep, the infamous posterior crack posted on our forum for all the wives to chuckle at and the humiliating "HEY, there you are!!!!"
icon_redface.gif

At least we don't have that in the Q-Views. Be thankful, very thankful.

Yea I run into the same issues as a lot of guys. My wife kind of thinks I am crazy when I take all of my pictures. But thats the beauty of digial cameras these days they don't cost you anything to take or load onto your camera. I have learned that after uploading them onto my computer I delete them off of her camera. That way there isn't hundreds of pictures of food on there and there is really no reason to get angry about using her camera. Keep the Qview Coming!!!!!!!!!!!!

it doesn't bother my wife at all. She has a sandwish blog so when ever we travel or go out to eat and she takes photos of the food. people do look at you weird when u take a photo of your food befroe you eat though!

When I told everyone within ear shot about SMF they knew they see less and less of me ! My pics will be coming soon via Qview

mama likes the pics we run them on our screensavers
gives us ideas on our next meal .
just keeping them saved as the file is several gig.

I share your burden bro. Unless folks like to share cooking, grilling, smoking experiences... they don't have a clue. My wife is just getting used to it, which does not mean that she understands the passion.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky