ThermoPro Heat Analysis/Wood Selection

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Its_Raw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
I apologize for the fancy title, but I could not think of something that is more accurate…

I have the 4 probe ThermoPro. I do not have enough experience to draw upon, but I am curious about whether kiln dried wood spikes higher temps faster than seasoned wood. It seems reasonable as it would give up the ghost quicker, but does that affect the balance of heat across the grate.

Using kiln dried wood, the probe closest to the firebox was consistently 100- to 150-degrees hotter than the probe next to the stack. However, using seasoned wood, the two probes were at times only a few degrees off and maybe had an extreme spread of 50- to 100-degrees when wood was added. Is that the norm?

Also, I have noticed the area of the grate next to the stack runs cooler. I moved around some chicken and taking pieces from the area closer to the firebox and placing them closer to the stack, I saw their internal temperature drop. I kind of expected the temp to maybe be a bit warmer there with the air having to squeeze into the 5“ or 6” exhaust pipe.

What say you? Thank you!

You may be seeing the difference in the moisture content of the different woods.
Ideal internal moisture is from 14% to 20%.
Lots of "seasoned" wood is much higher internal moisture wise and that will change how it burns and how the coal bed is formed.
Dry wood leaves a smaller coal base but wet wood leaves large hard coals that jack the cooker temp too high, which can prevent you adding another stick, which reduces the smoke profile in the meat.
You can buy a perfecly servicable moisture meter off Amazon for around $20, I recommend everyone who drives a stickburner get one.
Chainsaw jockys think seasoned means a few months of sitting in the rain.
Around here, white or post oak costs $500 a cord for properly seasoned wood but it's hard to find due to the explosion of BBQ joints who are sucking it all up.
Anyway, TEST, TEST, TEST any wood you are thinking of buying, it can save you a ton of money on wood that still needs to sit in a dry shed for a year or two to be usable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky