Thouroughly confused now! Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rw 12

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
Ok i wanted cold smoke some salmon with the new smoke tube i got to reading about parague#1 insta cure etc. some say its safer. Im seeing all kinds of grams and kilo grams and stuff . I get that but are they wet brine the salmon with this or dry curing it? Can someone please explain in normal person terms the amount of cure to meat and ifnyou ise water or not if you do how much and how long to cure it. Thanks yall im lost on this one

Reactions: JLeonard
Ok i wanted cold smoke some salmon with the new smoke tube i got to reading about parague#1 insta cure etc. some say its safer. Im seeing all kinds of grams and kilo grams and stuff . I get that but are they wet brine the salmon with this or dry curing it? Can someone please explain in normal person terms the amount of cure to meat and ifnyou ise water or not if you do how much and how long to cure it. Thanks yall im lost on this one
Sorry ignore the mispelled words stupid iphone keyboard

I have cold smoked literally thousands of pounds of salmon, not once did I ever even somewhat consider using any cure. And I normally cold smoke my fish in the summer, when temps can be pretty warm to downright hot. My family has been smoking fish for many, many years, nobody has gotten sick or died from our smoked fish yet. Personally, I'd leave it out.

I don’t eat fish but my wife loves salmon and all I ever do is brine it with about a half gallon water, 1/2 salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar for a little bit, then rinse and into a cooking rack in the fridge for a few hours. Sometimes illl make a little glaze with brown sugar and sprite or something if I get bored. But sorry I can’t help with the confusing part

I have cold smoked literally thousands of pounds of salmon, not once did I ever even somewhat consider using any cure. And I normally cold smoke my fish in the summer, when temps can be pretty warm to downright hot. My family has been smoking fish for many, many years, nobody has gotten sick or died from our smoked fish yet. Personally, I'd leave it out.
Good to know thank you alot bud i started reading and it was like googling a health condition! lol the worst stuff ever imgainable comes up botchulism all kimda stuff i think im just going with salt and sugar do you wet or dry cure?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky