Creosote question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DukeSilver22

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 20, 2023
Philadelphia, Pa
Hey everyone,
I've been noticing since I've been using the smoker that there's been like an oily black buildup on the grates That gets on to my food and you really notice it once you put it on a plate, I did a little research and found out that it's called creosote. Is this something that always happens when you're smoking since you're using wood as the source of heat? I'm taking my grates off a few times clean them with some mild detergent, dried them, put them back on the smoker And by the time I'm done smoking whatever even it's just something that's quick as wings I got that substance back on my food. Can this be avoided is it something I'm doing wrong with the temperature? I mean typically when I do my wings I bring it up to about 300° through about 325° to avoid that rubbery skin. Anything else pulled pork that's typically right around 250°.

Reactions: JLeonard
Build up on your grates could be caused by any number of things. Poor airflow, leftover food, sauces etc etc. The easiest way to keep your grates clean is to give them a good wipe down post cook(while the grates are still hot) with some type of grate brush/scraper. There are numerous scrapers available ranging from the old wire brush to a balled up piece of aluminum foil. You'll need to find the one that you feel most comfortable with. You'll also want to check under the lid of your smoker/cooker and make sure your not getting any build up there. Lid build up tends to flake off and fall on your food. A plastic putty knife can be used to scrap any build up off the underside of the lid, and can be done while the lid is cool to the touch.

Chris

I agree with Chris, most likely it is a buildup of food and grease. A good shot (or two) of an oven cleaner and elbow grease should get you all cleaned up.

Again, like Chris stated, after a cook, I get the grates hot and brush them down with a nylon grill brush dipped in water. The resulting steam really cleans it up. Then, prior to the next cook, I clean the bottom of the grates to prevent buildup there.

Reactions: DukeSilver22
I let the smoker heat up then brush the grates while hot with a stainless grate brush then finish with a couple three paper towels folded and wetted with regular vinegar. That really pulls the grease/black residue off the grate surface for me.

Build up on your grates could be caused by any number of things. Poor airflow, leftover food, sauces etc etc. The easiest way to keep your grates clean is to give them a good wipe down post cook(while the grates are still hot) with some type of grate brush/scraper. There are numerous scrapers available ranging from the old wire brush to a balled up piece of aluminum foil. You'll need to find the one that you feel most comfortable with. You'll also want to check under the lid of your smoker/cooker and make sure your not getting any build up there. Lid build up tends to flake off and fall on your food. A plastic putty knife can be used to scrap any build up off the underside of the lid, and can be done while the lid is cool to the touch.

Chris
I do clean the grates afterwards with a brush but it's still on the food with whatever I smoke next.

I agree with Chris, most likely it is a buildup of food and grease. A good shot (or two) of an oven cleaner and elbow grease should get you all cleaned up.

Again, like Chris stated, after a cook, I get the grates hot and brush them down with a nylon grill brush dipped in water. The resulting steam really cleans it up. Then, prior to the next cook, I clean the bottom of the grates to prevent buildup there.
I didn't think to do the brush in water, thanks for the tip.

Reactions: mr mac
I let the smoker heat up then brush the grates while hot with a stainless grate brush then finish with a couple three paper towels folded and wetted with regular vinegar. That really pulls the grease/black residue off the grate surface for me.
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to have to try this

Reactions: mr mac
This may sound weird to some, but it's so easy, I've become okay with it. I have a vertical offset and I let me dogs clean the inside. 🤠
Not the grates (they can't reach them), but everything else.
After it's cooled I just brush the grates and let everything fall down and then leave the door open. They get it spic and span clean. Dogs tongues are incredible at removal of grease.

When it's time to wash the grates, I'll probably let the dogs lick them clean, wash them then oil and season.

I find I mostly get creosote at the end of a cook when I let the fire die out, or in the case of my WSM when I cut the vents to kill the fire at the end of the cook. So you can run a clean fire during the cook and still get some creosote. It's just going happen regardless, the best you can do is slow it down. As far as cleaning, I clean my offset after every cook. There's just going to be some stuff left behind on the grates but it won't build up bad if you just stay on top of it. Also it never gets hot enough to really cook on there like on a grill.

Wow a 15-year-old item

I clean my grates by burning a hot fire and getting the cooking chamber up over 300 degrees then spray the grates down with water using a garden hose (it doesn’t take a lot of water), close the lid and let the steam do its job.

This is my method as well...

Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky