Offset Smoker Cleaning - Citrusafe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Its_Raw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
I want to keep the creosote and general grime down inside my offset smoker. Is using a food-safe product like Citrusafe OK to use inside of the cooking chamber? Any other suggestions? Thank you!

Reactions: JLeonard
I want to keep the creosote and general grime down inside my offset smoker. Is using a food-safe product like Citrusafe OK to use inside of the cooking chamber? Any other suggestions? Thank you!
I would really feel citrus based cleaners would be safe. Not trying to be facetious on this next subject but you shouldn’t be having problems with creosote issues. This means you’re not burning your fire correctly. I’ve never once had problems with creosote, well did 27 years ago. Do this - go on YouTube and search Tuffy Stone Master Fire and Smoke and watch that. You’ll be glad you did.

Many in the barbecue competitions are telling us we are cooking not smoking.
Visible smoke is dirt. I smoked this beef jerky on hickory and ZERO visible smoke and the jerky had great hickory flavor. Very thin blue smoke is released from wood coals, it’s so thin you normally can’t see the blue smoke. If you were able to hang out around one of the top name barbecue restaurants for hours you’ll never once see visible smoke coming from the roof top exhausts. That’s because they’re not smoking with visible smoke.

Attachments

• IMG_4555.jpeg
    IMG_4555.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4504.jpeg
    IMG_4504.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Absolutely. Citrusafe is 100% non-toxic and totally safe.

How well it actually works is another debate altogether.

I have a plastic putty knife I use for the gas grill. I will give it a try on the smoker.

I have been Following Tuffy Stone’s channel on YouTube for some time. Definitely a lot of excellent information there. My smoker is not dirty or full of creosote as I have not ran a lot of dirty smoke through it. I am just thinking ahead as the thought of creosote and potential health affects is on my mind.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky