Sealing an Offset Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Its_Raw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
Hello. I have an offset smoker on its way and I am researching a few things. One is what to use to seal up the lid in the event it leaks. I see where Lavaloc has been recommended, but they have quite a few products. What is the adhesive, tape-like material I have seen used in some videos? What is the best product to use?

Thank you!

Reactions: JLeonard
The self adhesive felt is easy to use and sticks well. I used it to seal up the leaks on my pellet pooper lid
For a cook chamber it should work. I don't think it can withstand the heat of the firebox.

Why seal it? It isn't a pressure cooker. If it is built correctly otherwise, it will cook just fine if a bit of smoke leaks out of the lid.

I believe you have a Old Country Brazos coming. It's made of ¼" steel and should be heavy. I wouldn't think it would need sealing, but first I'd cook on it as is and look for leaks...

Reactions: JLeonard
I believe you have a Old Country Brazos coming. It's made of ¼" steel and should be heavy. I wouldn't think it would need sealing, but first I'd cook on it as is and look for leaks...
And if the leak is not bad it may self seal after a few cooks.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky