Damn.... Do Y'all Think They're Safe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I put six 10lb Butts in the smoker at 10pm.
They were ice cold after sitting in their cryobags covered in ice in my cooler for 15 hours before being rubbed.

I ran my RT on LO 180° for 1.5 hours to get max smoke, and then went to 225° for the night.

0630am
Using my Javelin the average IT is only 150°-160°.

That was a lot of meat and bone mass inside a small area.
So I can see it taking awhile to rise in temp.
But I'm still uncomfortable with 150°-160° after eight hours.

Do Y'all Think They're Safe?

1000002265.jpg

Last edited:
I would say you're fine , but I would kick the heat up ( if you haven't already ) . I saw the other thread , and heat transfer and air flow popped into my head . Keep it going in the right direction .
Remember the inside is sterile .

I wonder if they were still partially frozen. Air flow comes to mind also. Hindsight is always 20/20 but maybe 4 one day and 4 the next. All that cold meat in their may have kept pit temp cooler.

I wonder if they were still partially frozen. Air flow comes to mind also. Hindsight is always 20/20 but maybe 4 one day and 4 the next. All that cold meat in their may have kept pit temp cooler.
No, they were thawed through, but were 'ice cold'.

Yes, all that cold mass of meat and bone can keep air temp down in the cooking chamber.

Depending on air temp probe placement there can be significant differences across the chamber.
Even in normal use most smokers have hotter and cooler areas.

Airflow is why I made sure I had at least a fingers width between the butts.

Reactions: JLeonard
No, they were thawed through, but were 'ice cold'.

Yes, all that cold mass of meat and bone can keep air temp down in the cooking chamber.

Depending on air temp probe placement there can be significant differences across the chamber.
Even in normal use most smokers have hotter and cooler areas.

Airflow is why I made sure I had at least a fingers width between the butts.

Considered whole and intact slabs of pork. Your more than safe unless you made a pin cushion out of them with injecting.

Carry on my wayward son

Chris
GMC2003, Hit it on the head... AS Long as there Whole and Intact you can run by the rule of 40 to140 in 4 hours (4,4,4 rule) and that would be first 1/2-3/4 inch of meat. IF you had poked it with an injector then this rule becomes VOID...(for the 1/2-3/4 in part) On a side note and 20/20 vision letting them rest in cryo pack outside of cooler would have been helpful (if you had the option) Once you take the cryo pack off its GAME ON for bacteria.....

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky