Cleveland BBQ-- Kielbasa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Right by Garfield, maybe in Slavic Village. Don’t remember Google maps just takes me there every Christmas. You should see the Cleveland transplants load up. They have the best smokies I get like 10# when I’m there.
Man, I really miss Cleveland food. The best were the fish frys at the churches, and European clubs.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222 and zwiller
Looks fantastic . Formula sounds like a winner too . I started adding my binder and liquid as I mix , because like you say sometimes it doesn't need much . I stopped going by percentage for that .
I've also been pre curing the cubes before grinding . If you have the time , that's the ticket . Makes a great end product .

I've been ordering Stadium mustard online for years . A buddy brought some back from a Reds game years ago .
I want to try the Bertman's next , so thanks for the reminder .
I buy the kraut local .
20220405_115010.jpg

Looks fantastic . Formula sounds like a winner too . I started adding my binder and liquid as I mix , because like you say sometimes it doesn't need much . I stopped going by percentage for that .
I've also been pre curing the cubes before grinding . If you have the time , that's the ticket . Makes a great end product .

I've been ordering Stadium mustard online for years . A buddy brought some back from a Reds game years ago .
I buy the kraut local .
View attachment 678569

I buy the kraut local .
View attachment 678569

I buy the kraut local .
View attachment 678569

Great minds think alike. Cleveland kraut is my favorite when I don't feel like making it myself. I just so happened to had one in my refrigerator.
IMG_20231015_132152821.jpg

The pre cure is absolutely a winner. I have done that with other batches and is absolutely a best practice for sure.

Reactions: chopsaw
What does % mean
It's the percentage of the total weight of meat and fat. The math is easy if you convert to grams. I was working with 10Kgs of protein and fat... I try to keep meat weight to grams that end in 0 (500, 1000, 1500, 10000, etc....) at least for me it makes the mental math of percentages much easier. You can wing the spice, binder and liquid.... But never eyeball salt, nitrites, or nitrates.

I hope this helps. And welcome to the board!

Brad

What does % mean

It's the percentage of the total weight of meat and fat. The math is easy if you convert to grams. I was working with 10Kgs of protein and fat... I try to keep meat weight to grams that end in 0 (500, 1000, 1500, 10000, etc....) at least for me it makes the mental math of percentages much easier. You can wing the spice, binder and liquid.... But never eyeball salt, nitrites, or nitrates.

I hope this helps. And welcome to the board!

Brad
Yes welcome to the forum. G Great 1
I also use metric, but it can be done in US pounds and ounces and best converted to ounces.
A micro scale is needed to get accurate measurements be it in grams or hundredths and thousandths of an ounce.
1 pound of meat is 16 ounces. Adding water at 10% is .10 multiplier.
16 x 0.10 = 1.6 ounces of water

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
Bookmarked for future projects! Looks fantastic! Bertman is great mustard and their horseradish sauce is awesome too. The mustard is standard for sports and dogs around here.

Bookmarked for future projects! Looks fantastic! Bertman is great mustard and their horseradish sauce is awesome too. The mustard is standard for sports and dogs around here.
Thanks buddy. I can't argue with anything you said regarding Bertman's products, they are fantastic!

Brad

That is some outstanding looking kielbasa Brad, and paired with the peppers and onions ummm ummm good.

Point for sure
Chris

I bet those would also make great pork shots. If you ever need a change of pace.

1697466565868.png

1697466598910.png

That is some outstanding looking kielbasa Brad, and paired with the peppers and onions ummm ummm good.

Point for sure
Chris

I bet those would also make great pork shots. If you ever need a change of pace.

View attachment 678650
View attachment 678651
Dude! Yes! I'm taking this idea. I just cold smoked some bacon I had been curing, I will use this.

One of the belly quarters I cured, I decided to hot smoke into pulled bacon... I have never seen it done and wanted to try it... The results were as you can imagine, amazing. I will make a post on it when I get the time.

Reactions: gmc2003
Here's a link to my Pork shots. I like using cheddar cheese, and other folks like to use cream cheese.

Looks great! I know the Po Boy is all the rage there but just not for me. I prefer haluski with my kielbasa. For those of you not in the know, CLE kielbasa is a real hearty. Kinda shocking when you first have it. More beef is used than typical and that aligns with OP recipe.

The best were the fish frys at the churches, and European clubs.
Man, I try to get my wife to go every Lent but no dice, that needs to change!
https://clevelandmagazine.com/food-...ting-the-sacred-art-of-the-cleveland-fish-fry

Here's a link to my Pork shots. I like using cheddar cheese, and other folks like to use cream cheese.

Awesome. I am on it!

Looks great! I know the Po Boy is all the rage there but just not for me. I prefer haluski with my kielbasa. For those of you not in the know, CLE kielbasa is a real hearty. Kinda shocking when you first have it. More beef is used than typical and that aligns with OP recipe.

Man, I try to get my wife to go every Lent but no dice, that needs to change!
https://clevelandmagazine.com/food-...ting-the-sacred-art-of-the-cleveland-fish-fry
You know, I completely forgot about Haluski. I'll have to do the kielbasa with that. Great explanation on C-land Q! It's definitely a culture that I hope never dies.

Fish frys are another institution that I hope the younger generation continues. Not only do they serve fish at these Fry's, but they also do some of the best stuffed cabbage that I have ever eaten. Absolutely amazing.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky