Smoked Mushroom Soup!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Greetings! I’ve been doing a lot of heavy meals since Christmas and a few weeks ago, after Surf-N-Turf egg rolls, I started to dial things back dramatically, especially during the week. This weekend I stuck with Chicken Friday, but decided to go with something weirdly in-between Saturday, smoked mushroom soup. I found a recipe that looked interesting online and made a few tweaks….including cold smoking the mushrooms. This was shockingly good, a steaming bowl of Umami! Very filling, even for a carnivore, and the mushroom smoke session really made a wonderful impact on the soup in the end!
Ingredients:
4 tablespoons butter
1 chopped onion
1 chopped large carrot
2 chopped celery
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
2 medium chopped Portabella mushrooms
1 handful chestnut mushrooms
6 beef Bullion cubes into
5 cups Boiling water
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Dash of red pepper flakes
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mushrooms on for about an hour long cold smoke with Hickory pellets in the awesome tube….thank you again Steve H Steve H !
6C1AFC82-4470-4050-A6B7-954E9C7E507E.jpeg
ACC0C422-4AC0-4624-BBD7-436ECB72FFC4.jpeg

Prepped the veggies and when shrooms had a good smoke session sliced up the portabellas.
DF1AD942-E6CB-446D-8051-DD30F15894FF.jpeg
B8FF6407-2C10-4182-892D-CCE815954B94.jpeg

Butter heated on Med, veggies into the Dutch oven, garlic a few minutes later.
248525BE-FDAA-4D59-B7DA-9310A99A0D6D.jpeg
BBF986EB-3BEE-4180-AE4D-2C7923FE0064.jpeg

Then the shrooms…..they smelled wonderfully Smokey, the aroma was awesome.
FA5469CB-51E7-4247-85BD-BFBBFDBF57BA.jpeg

Then the prepped bullion. Adding the extra bullion cube I learned from jcam222 jcam222 and it’s been a game changer for my soups. After a bit of stirring I added the Worcestershire, S&P and dash of red pepper.
716B5CBF-157A-4DD5-879F-6FBF8A969710.jpeg

Into a bowl… I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it was so good. The Smokey Umami was incredibly satisfying and makes you grin. My wife’s first sip was followed by “Holy Sh**!” and she really doesn’t swear. My daughters wouldn’t touch it because, “Mushrooms, yuck!” But my wife and son loved it. I really couldn’t believe the amazing flavor. I’m going to toy around with this as a base for some meat soups and stews in the future. However, will be adding this as a pure addition to the rotation too.
57AB5CCA-E55E-4C44-9F65-C5C1A9A92532.jpeg
30AD8897-1F4E-45B1-A303-263FD0D47900.jpeg

7B35079A-1034-451E-9FB6-6B486FA03C5C.jpeg

Thanks for your Time!

Sure looks good! I love soup and I’d sure love a bowl or two of this.
Thank you Jeff! I’m definitely a big soup fan too and this was pretty awesome. Besides your tomato soup this has been my favorite. You’re welcome to a bowl or two anytime!

Looks like a winner to me, Jed. I'd put away a couple bowls.
Thank you Doug, it was very tasty!

I just described this to my wife. It got a gasp.
Like I needed more things I need to do for her.
Oh man Bert, this had my wife and I rolling! I appreciate the compliment!

Reactions: bertman and jcam222
I love shroom soup and that looks amazing! I would have been tempted to add some smoked chicken to it but I think the bowl would be gone before I got a chance!

Reactions: jcam222 and bauchjw
Your soup looks great Jed, however that's one dish that won't my it on my to-do list. I've hated mushrooms since I was a toddler.

Point for sure
Chris

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
Looks great Jed ,I'm not a big mushroom fan. Love soups and I use mushrooms in a lot of my foods. I normally just hand over the big pieces to Mona as she eats them almost every day.

So this soup is on my list now , as I mentioned it to her , lol like bertman bertman mentioned

It looks fantastic, you are good with the pictures and the ingredients sound great

Thanks for sharing

David

Reactions: bertman and bauchjw
Mushrooms should be classified as a meat. They are amazing and the put them in everything I can. I’m bookmarking this. Thanks for sharing it.
Haha, I’m slowly coming around to that view. I love them, but usually as an additional ingredient. I’ve never made something where it’s the center ingredient. I appreciate it! Thank you, you’ll dig it!

Looks great Jed. Thanks for the recipe.
Thank you Jack!

I love shroom soup and that looks amazing! I would have been tempted to add some smoked chicken to it but I think the bowl would be gone before I got a chance!
Haha! I won’t lie, I had fridays smoked chicken in a bowl and was planning on adding it, but after we tasted it decided it wasn’t needed. it really does stand by itself!

Man Jed! That looks delicious! I love shroom soup.
Thank you Steve!

Reactions: one eyed jack
Jed, that would be a hit around here for sure. Well, it would be a hit for everyone except my son-in-law :emoji_wink:, now you got me thinking...:emoji_laughing:

• Haha
Jed , it sure looks great . I love a good bowl of soup , but I'm with Chris on the shrooms . I could slurp around them though . Nice work .

Your soup looks great Jed, however that's one dish that won't my it on my to-do list. I've hated mushrooms since I was a toddler.
Point for sure
Chris
Thank you GMC! 🤣I always hated mushrooms, because of the texture and I thought they were soggy things that came in a can. In college a few of us were drunk at a country friend’s place one spring and he fried up some morels and other caps along with a bunch of other drinking food stuff and it blew my mind. I’ve liked them ever since. We’ll not the canned ones.But, I understand, thank you for the like!

Wow that some good soup Jed. Going on the list.
Thank you Brian! It’s worth it! You’ve been crushing it lately, I hope you have the time🤣

Looks great Jed ,I'm not a big mushroom fan. Love soups and I use mushrooms in a lot of my foods. I normally just hand over the big pieces to Mona as she eats them almost every day.
So this soup is on my list now , as I mentioned it to her , lol like bertman bertman mentioned
It looks fantastic, you are good with the pictures and the ingredients sound great
Thanks for sharing
David
🤣Thank you David! The broth would be a great base for a lot of proteins, Smokey umami! I could drink it in a mug. Mona would definitely like the mushroom chunks though, the smoke session added a lot to them and they were very satisfying!
I appreciate the compliments, iPhones make taking pictures so much easier than it used to be🤣

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky