Oyster Mushroom, Crab, and Brie Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Holy Crap! Super Taster Nirvana!! This soup is a house specialty from a famous restaurant in Baton Rouge, Mansurs on the Boulevard. Recipe was posted in the local paper years ago. I have made this soup many times, but this is the first time adding oyster mushrooms (along WITH the rind from the Brie)....Wholly Moley! Will be making this again for sure!

Last item in the pot....the crab meat...
IMG_20240319_193752.jpg

The bowl...
IMG_20240319_194345.jpg

Close up...
IMG_20240319_194351.jpg

The recipe:
IMG_20240319_195900.jpg

So I diced 8oz. oyster mushrooms into roughly 1/4" dice. I also added the rind from the Brie cheese. Both kicked up the umami off the charts!!! So savory...magnified the complex flavor. I am blown away!

I did not have crab base, but did use this lobster base. Very good choice.
IMG_20240319_195956.jpg

Damn!
That recipe sounds really good, and your soup looks mighty tasty.
I bet the shrooms did add another layer of flavor and a very complimentary one.

I've had a Brie soup before, sans seafood, and it was good, I'm betting this is a straight up orgasm for the taste buds.
Thank you chile! Yep. It's rockstar good my friend!

Love crab soup and she-crab soup is on the menu at many local seafood restaurants, but this is different and looks and sounds great, Keith...

Reactions: jcam222
Wow, that looks crazy good! And thanks for the paper clipping I want to try this!

I have lots of other versions of that base. They do good!!!

Reactions: indaswamp
Holy Crap! Super Taster Nirvana!! This soup is a house specialty from a famous restaurant in Baton Rouge, Mansurs on the Boulevard. Recipe was posted in the local paper years ago. I have made this soup many times, but this is the first time adding oyster mushrooms (along WITH the rind from the Brie)....Wholly Moley! Will be making this again for sure!

Last item in the pot....the crab meat...
View attachment 692125

The bowl...
View attachment 692126

Close up...
View attachment 692127

The recipe:
View attachment 692128

So I diced 8oz. oyster mushrooms into roughly 1/4" dice. I also added the rind from the Brie cheese. Both kicked up the umami off the charts!!! So savory...magnified the complex flavor. I am blown away!

I did not have crab base, but did use this lobster base. Very good choice.
View attachment 692129
Looks absolutely amazing. I am going to try this.

You got me thinking... There are a lot of BBQ channels on YouTube, but non of those channels review BBQ cookbooks or the recipes within... An enterprising individual could fill a gap in a crowded space.

🤔

Love crab soup and she-crab soup is on the menu at many local seafood restaurants, but this is different and looks and sounds great, Keith...
Thanks GS! Give it a go, you will not be disappointed!

That looks really good.
Thanks Jim!

Yeah, I'd belly up to a bowl or two. Love a good creamy soup like that.

Jim
Thank you! It is a very delicious soup!!

Wow, that looks crazy good! And thanks for the paper clipping I want to try this!

I have lots of other versions of that base. They do good!!!
Thank you civil! Anxious to hear your review. One of my top five favorite soups for sure....

Looks absolutely amazing. I am going to try this.

You got me thinking... There are a lot of BBQ channels on YouTube, but non of those channels review BBQ cookbooks or the recipes within... An enterprising individual could fill a gap in a crowded space.

🤔
Thanks Schwartz.... , Let me know how you like it. Your idea is sound IMO...

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
I can't imagine how good that tastes. I put on 5 lbs just reading the recipe.

Wow that looks and sounds amazing. That's right up my alley for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Dang! Saved. I know it's not optimal but I scored a case of canned lump crab meat really cheap on a half price Amazon deal. May look to keto this up a bit. I need to get a good seafood bullion like that in the pantry anyway. I'll sub the roux out for some cream cheese and go from there.

Dang! Saved. I know it's not optimal but I scored a case of canned lump crab meat really cheap on a half price Amazon deal. May look to keto this up a bit. I need to get a good seafood bullion like that in the pantry anyway. I'll sub the roux out for some cream cheese and go from there.
I would recommend adding a little xanthan gum as well...not only will it thicken, but will keep the fats emulsified. I did add about 1/4tsp. to the pot and it worked great. My only tip is to sprinkle it evenly over the surface, let it sit to rehydrate a couple minutes, then mix in thoroughly....

I would recommend adding a little xanthan gum as well...not only will it thicken, but will keep the fats emulsified. I did add about 1/4tsp. to the pot and it worked great. My only tip is to sprinkle it evenly over the surface, let it sit to rehydrate a couple minutes, then mix in thoroughly....
Great tip. I do use it pretty frequently in soups and sauces to as you say emulsify the fat. I think I mentioned glucannon to you as well. Thickens great but haven't really tested emulsification.

Reactions: indaswamp
....could also smoke the mushrooms lightly for another layer of flavor. But there is so much going on already....don't think it would be necessary. I'm eating a bowl for lunch today...OMG!! Fair warning-if you do not like the 'funkiness' from the surface mold; it gets more pronounced the second day, but is balanced by the mushrooms. I personally think it is exceptional!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky